Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    Ugh I watched Sesame street as a wee lad and now those memories are ruined.
    I watched Shari Lewis and Lambchop. I never could understand why it was supposed to be so great.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Are you going to donate yours when you die?
    When I was 15 they said I would be dead by 25. I shall live forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    If you had a choice between screaming at smiling jackasses at the Westwood LDS Temple or taking on a bunch of ghetto dwellers, which would you choose?
    You spelled "it's because we're pussies" wrong.
    Be Not Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    You don't have to accept it. You can just ignore it. It doesn't have anything to do with you, does it?
    Interesting argument.

Be sure you share it with your liberal friends the next time they bitch about some high school kids in Texas that want to say an Our Father before a football game.
    Be Not Afraid.

I love being lectured on Americanism by people like you.
    Considering that you display a keen lack of knowledge about Americanism on a daily basis here...you should probably be glad he's taking the time to teach you about it.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    I agree with this only because this is how Moby Dick begins. Ishmael sharing a bed with Queequeg. Just sleeping space, no spooning.
    And given Queequeg's size, there wasn't much room for Ishmael! Those who only read this book in high school, because they have to, have no idea how great it really is.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Interesting argument.

Be sure you share it with your liberal friends the next time they bitch about some high school kids in Texas that want to say an Our Father before a football game.
    I've never heard anyone I know say anything about this at all.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Hypocrites
    Aah. It's hard to tell with you, since you are so disdainful of so many groups. However, exactly how do you find me hypocritical? And please, use real examples and quotes.

Oh, and Dennis Prager, once again, provides insights into the issue:

July 2, 2013 12:00 AMThe Left, Bert and Ernie, and Lost Innocence
    Premature sexualization of kids is only the latest fallout from left-wing social-justice crusades.
    By Dennis Prager

If a Martian were to observe the human condition, he would have to conclude that the Left has an agenda to deprive children of their innocence. The Martian would have no other explanation for the premature sexualizing of children that the Left has engaged in for decades, and which seems to increase almost weekly.The most recent example is the cover of the current issue of The New Yorker, which depicts the Sesame Street characters Bert and Ernie. They are seated on a couch snuggling, and Bert’s head rests on Ernie’s shoulder as the two watch television. The TV features a picture of the U.S. Supreme Court.

To their credit, the creators of Sesame Street and of Bert and Ernie have stated that the two characters are not only never depicted as having anything other than platonic interest in each other; they are also never depicted as having any interest in females. As indeed they should be; they were characters for children to enjoy.

But for the Left, Bert and Ernie (and whatever else the Left can get its ideological hands on) are transformed into vehicles for a left-wing cause. And no cause animates the Left these days more than the social advancement of lesbians, gays, bisexuals, and the transgendered (LGBTs).

One consequence has been the robbing of children’s innocence by prematurely sexualizing them. Rendering Bert and Ernie as gay is only the most recent example.

Other examples abound.

Just one week earlier the State of Colorado’s Rights Division ruled that a first-grade boy who identifies and dresses as a girl may use the girls’ restroom at school. The school had previously allowed the first-grader to use a bathroom in either the teachers’ lounge or in the nurse’s office, but not the girls’ bathroom. Now, first-grade girls must share their bathroom with a fellow first-grader who has a penis. There is every reason to have pity on this child. But that is not a valid reason to subject all the girls to issues such as gender confusion at such a young age.

Another way in which the Left has subjected young children to sexual issues has been the widespread teaching about sexual harassment, also beginning in first grade. In addition to having discussions that do not belong in a first-, second-, third-, fourth-, or fifth-grade class, this hysterical fixation on sexual harassment has labeled innocent child’s play a form of sexual deviancy.

A few years ago, I asked my listeners to send in funds to pay for the legal defense of two seventh-grade boys arrested — yes, arrested by police — for participating in “slap butt day.”

As reported by The Oregonian

Two boys tore down the hall of Patton Middle School after lunch, swatting the bottoms of girls as they ran — what some kids later said was a common form of greeting. But bottom-slapping is against policy in McMinnville Public Schools. So a teacher’s aide sent the gawky seventh-graders to the office, where the vice principal and a police officer stationed at the school soon interrogated them. . . . The officer read the boys their Miranda rights and hauled them off in handcuffs to juvenile jail, where they spent the next five days.

Two seventh-graders in jail for five days for butt-slapping on slap-butt day.

And it gets worse.

The seventh-graders were not permitted contact with their parents for 24 hours, they were brought into court in shackles and jail garb, and they were strip-searched four times. And the Yamhill County district attorney, Bradley Berry, brought felony sex charges against the two boys.

According to a 2008 ABC News story, “in schools across the country, kids as young as three and four are now facing charges of sexual harassment that will stay with them permanently on their school records.” ABC gave the example of seven-year-old Randy Castro, of Potomac View Elementary School in Maryland. He, too, slapped a girl’s butt, and the school called in the police and wrote him up as a sexual harasser. In 2007, in liberal Maryland alone, 166 elementary students were suspended for sexual harassment, including three preschoolers, 16 kindergartners, and 22 first-graders. In California, where the Left can pass any law it wants, the state passed a law last year that all textbooks in California — from first grade on — describe the contributions of gays, bisexuals, and transgendered individuals to America and to California. How exactly does one explain bisexuality to six-year-olds? For the Left, this is not an issue.

At the Democratic National Convention in 2000, the Democratic Party featured five young people, about five to ten years old, and had them recite lyrics describing how frightening their futures are likely to be. This alone was innocence-killing. But of course one of the fears had to be sex-related: “When I grow up, will kids still be wrongfully touched?”

And of course, the Left has insisted on sex education from the earliest grades. In New York City, seventh-graders are taught how to use condoms.

All these policies have been enacted in the name of tolerance, protecting girls, and promoting health. But the Left always has a noble reason for its damaging policies, even when they involve something that when taken away can never be returned: children’s sexual innocence.

Dennis Prager is a nationally syndicated radio talk-show host and columnist. His most recent book is Still the Best Hope: Why the World Needs American Values to Triumph. He is the founder of Prager University and may be contacted at dennisprager.com.

So, why do leftists insist on sexualizing children?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I've never heard anyone I know say anything about this at all.
    Ya sure, you work in DC and you never heard this? lol
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

I'm really only aware of one church being "attacked" and that was the Westwood LDS temple. For me to comment on anything else, I would need specifics. In any event, the HRC didn't order it or organize it. They are not only incompetent, they are useless. Their idea of a response to an attack on the gay community is a candlelight vigil or similar stupid shit.
    There were death threats, vandalism and a hoax anthrax mailing. From Wikipedia:

Death threats and vandalism[edit]

Before the vote, Alan Autry (the mayor of Fresno) received an email containing death threats against both himself and Cornerstone Church Pastor Jim Franklin. This caused police to assign the pastor officers for his protection and motivated the mayor to obtain a bodyguard. According to Fresno's Police Chief Jerry Dyer, the email "did state as to why that threat was made and it was stemming from prop 8." Both Autry and Franklin were prominent Proposition 8 supporters. As of August 12, 2009, no arrests have been made.[28][29]
    In the ten days following the November 4 election, seven houses of worship in Utah and ten buildings of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) in the Sacramento area were targets of vandalism, such as graffiti and meeting house glass doors shattered. According to the LDS spokesperson for the Sacramento area, the vandalism that they experienced in the ten days after the election was more than they usually get in an entire year.[5][30][31][32] A copy of the Book of Mormon, an LDS religious text, was found burning at the front of a meetinghouse.[30][32] The FBI investigated these events to determine whether a violation of civil rights had occurred.[31]
    An affiliate group of the radical trans/queer organization Bash Back! claims credit for pouring glue into the locks of an LDS meetinghouse and spray painting its walls. A Web posting signed by Bash Back!’s Olympia chapter said, “The Mormon church (just like most churches) is a cesspool of filth. It is a breeding ground for oppression of all sorts and needs to be confronted, attacked, subverted and destroyed.”[33]
    According to the Chicago Tribune, the acts of vandalism against the LDS meetinghouse appear to be in retaliation for support of Proposition 8.[33]
    The Anti-Defamation League released a statement condemning the "defacement and destruction of property."[34]
    Anthrax hoax[edit]

In November 2008, the United States Postal Service delivered envelopes containing white powder to two LDS temples (one in Los Angeles and one in Salt Lake City) and to the Knights of Columbus's national headquarters in New Haven, Connecticut, prompting a hazardous materials response and a federal domestic terrorism investigation.[32][35][36] The envelope to the Catholic men's organization (the Knights of Columbus) had a postmark from California.[37] Both organizations were heavy backers of Proposition 8. The FBI has determined the substances were not biological agents, and FBI spokesman Special Agent Juan Becerra stated, "We've got to follow the evidence, and at this point we have not received anything that would lead us to believe the opponents of Prop. 8 are behind any kind of terroristic activity. It would be irresponsible to say that at this point."[35][38][39] (Anthrax toxin was used in the 2001 anthrax attacks against lawmakers and media members, killing five people. Since then, the FBI has investigated more than 1,000 anthrax hoaxes modeled on the mailings, which usually turn out to be harmless.[40][41])
    The LDS Church and many newspapers blamed opponents of the marriage ban for sending the hoax mailings, while a group that also supported the measure condemned "acts of domestic terrorism against our supporters."[40] LGBT rights groups, such as Equality Utah and Equality California, have spoken out against the use of violence in protests, and note that the source of the "white powder" mailings has not been determined.[40][42]
    You were saying...?

And of course if the people in LA had chose a Catholic Church or a synagogue, you'd be OK with that.
    Not at all, but at least they'd have taken on a tougher target, at least in the case of the Catholic Church, if it was in a barrio. I don't approve of thug politics, but I really loathe bullies, and the gaystapo is nothing but.

History comes to us in multiple ways. Historians , true academics, do not declare that a matter is settled so much as it is the most likely explanation of events.

Let's take Thomas Jefferson and Sally Heming. There are those who are absolutely convinced that TJ and SH made babies. They won't hear another version, and if you try to reason with them, then they accuse you of caring too much such that your own racism is clear. You simply can't accept that a noble man would stoop so low. I prefer to think that my objections to the popular version of history in this regard, is based in the much better established character of Thomas Jefferson, the inconclusive science, and the timeline.

But there is "best evidence" in the case of Jefferson, isn't there? There are contemporary accusations of his relationship with his slave woman. Contemporary accounts are usually given great weight but there is politics to consider in this case, right?

There is always politics to consider. I, naturally, would hope that President Lincoln was not homosexual. Were he a homosexual, then it would have been a homosexual who is responsible for ripping up the voluntary association of the sovereign states, destroying the Constitution as it had been known, and the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Americans. But given the times, I wouldn't have expected him to announce to the world that he was gay. So historians who think he might be, would look for clues about that. This is no different than looking for obscure information about any historical figure, except that it is of great interest to the living persons who are only now seeing discrimination against gay people legally dispensed with.
    So, in other words, you're okay with falsifying history if it advances your agenda. Got it.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!