That Flesh is heir to? 'Tis a consummation
    Devoutly to be wished. To die, to sleep,
    To sleep, perchance to Dream ……
    But that the dread of something after death,
    The undiscovered Country, from whose bourn
    No Traveller returns, Puzzles the will,
    And makes us rather bear those ills we have,
    Than fly to others that we know not of.
    Thus Conscience does make Cowards of us all ……
    With this regard their Currents turn awry, ……
    Be all my sins remembered.
    -- Hamlet

Malcolm X used the first few lines of this powerful soliloquy in one of his speeches at Harvard. It’s been taking up some space in my mind today, since I started driving home after a medical appointment. One of my doctors -- a registered republican who often votes for democrats -- asked me if I would be running for a seat in the state assembly in the next election.

To run? Or not to run? That’s the question. I am, by nature, prone to counting numbers in regional election contests. I would not run, if I didn’t think there was a chance of winning. And from my estimates, there is a chance to win.

I think that one of the problems that people who are sincere about wanting social justice is that we hope that someone else will do for us, what we need to do for ourselves. Also, too many potentially good candidates are discouraged, because we inhabit republican areas. It’s far more likely, for example, for a democrat to win an election in NYC or one of the other urban centers, than in the very republican rural regions in upstate New York.

In the past two election cycles, I’ve assisted five candidates in “local” elections, in an area where about 60% of registered voters are republicans, 25% are independents, and 15% are democrats. Each of the five candidates have won. As their campaign manager, I’ve focused on harnessing every possible vote -- including all registered democrats, the majority of independents, and a significant number of dissatisfied republicans.

To run or not? I’ve spoken to five groups: teachers unions; social workers unions; environmentalists/the Democratic Left; carpenters unions; and the Democratic Party. I have friends and associates who would invest time and money, if I were to run. It could be done.
    Fancy, fancy, man. Quoting Hamlet...

Wasn't there another DUmmie that ran for office last year...oh yeah, Ohama Steve!!! That went well
    if you remember.

How many Bidness Days till he starts hitting the DUmmies up for $$$???
    May the FORCE be with you!

H2O Man (48,866 posts)

There's some tension on DU regarding President Obama. Some people support him strongly, and others disapprove of him. But I will speculate that all of us recognize that Obama would be leading in a very different manner, were there more decent people in state and federal government.
    Huh??? Real leaders don't change their leadership style by the way the wind is blowing.

I guess Barry Hussein is not a practitioner of the phrase "when the going gets tough, the tough get going". I knew it all along, just sounds nice when the DUmmies say it too. Thanks H2O man. Well done.
    Be Not Afraid.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    So H2O dude basically insulted every current state and Fed worker!! Good job!!!

Cause we all know YOU would be so much more better. Man, they say Rush has a big head...
    May the FORCE be with you!