1. #1 Give me Liberty and Give Me Death 
    (maybe this goes in humor):)

Give me liberty and give me death
    As one's mortality swings into view, be thankful for life -- and whiskey.

By P.J. O'Rourke
    September 28, 2008

I looked death in the face. All right, I didn't. I glimpsed him in a crowd. I've been diagnosed with cancer, of a very treatable kind. I'm told I have a 95% chance of survival. Come to think of it -- as a drinking, smoking, saturated-fat hound -- my chance of survival has been improved by cancer.

I still cursed God, as we all do when we get bad news and pain. Not even the most faith-impaired among us shouts: "Damn quantum mechanics!" "Damn organic chemistry!" "Damn chaos and coincidence!"

I believe in God. God created the world. Obviously pain had to be included in God's plan. Otherwise we'd never learn that our actions have consequences. Our cave-person ancestors, finding fire warm, would conclude that curling up to sleep in the middle of the flames would be even warmer. Cave bears would dine on roast ancestor, and we'd never get any bad news and pain because we wouldn't be here.
    I have, of all the inglorious things, a malignant hemorrhoid. What color bracelet does one wear for that? And where does one wear it? And what slogan is apropos? Perhaps that slogan can be sewn in needlepoint around the ruffle on a cover for my embarrassing little doughnut buttocks pillow.
    Some clever and thoughtful stuff from P. J. O'Rourke

Power CUer
    I love PJ - he's my kind of conservative, meaning not a socon. It sounds like he will recover, and I agree with him that it's kind of amazing he's lived this long.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

You've got to love PJ. I like his books and I always enjoy reading his stuff over at Cato. I'm glad this doesn't appear to be highly serious.

I believe his longevity up to this point is the direct result of his wife's efforts to reverse his mileage. :D

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    You've got to love PJ. I like his books and I always enjoy reading his stuff over at Cato. I'm glad this doesn't appear to be highly serious.

I believe his longevity up to this point is the direct result of his wife's efforts to reverse his mileage. :D
    He's certainly had an interesting life; one of his memorable essays is entitled, "How to Drive Fast on Drugs While Getting Your Wing-Wang Squeezed and Not Spill Your Drink".

"For the maniacal high-speed driver, endurance is everything. Especially if you've used that ever-popular pickup line "Wanna go to Mexico?" Especially if you've used it somewhere like Boston. Besides, teenage girls can go a long, long time without sleep, and believe me, so can the police and their parents. "

http://www.heretical.com/miscella/reptile.html
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken