1. #1 Dozens Gather For Memorial Service For 144 Geese Euthanized By County 
    http://charlotte.cbslocal.com/2013/0...zed-by-county/

What a waste, roast goose is a delicacy.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

We have way too many Canadian geese around Detroit. We also have lots of hungry people in Detroit, and lots of guns. But for some reason, despite their numbers being high, they are a protected species.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    We have way too many Canadian geese around Detroit. We also have lots of hungry people in Detroit, and lots of guns. But for some reason, despite their numbers being high, they are a protected species.
    It's crazy. The law treats them as migratory birds, but there is a huge winter-over population in the Atlantic and Mississippi flyways that never goes anywhere, just craps all over parks, athletic fields, and golf courses. As hard as tree-huggers claim it is to get a species protected (Which it really isn't that tough), it is 50 times harder to get a species unprotected again when its numbers balloon, it adapts to new habitats, and it becomes a damned nuisance.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    JHC...people have nothing better to do??? What a collection of morons.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    It's crazy. The law treats them as migratory birds, but there is a huge winter-over population in the Atlantic and Mississippi flyways that never goes anywhere, just craps all over parks, athletic fields, and golf courses. As hard as tree-huggers claim it is to get a species protected (Which it really isn't that tough), it is 50 times harder to get a species unprotected again when its numbers balloon, it adapts to new habitats, and it becomes a damned nuisance.
    We had a flock of geese that took over our parade field when I was an officer candidate. I have vivid memories of PT in goose crap, and the visceral hatred that came from getting nipped by them whenever I was on the edge of the formation (they were highly territorial, and considered our PT formations an intrusion, so they'd come up and nip anyone that they could get to). The protection isn't meant to protect the species, it's meant to exert control over us, which is why it's almost impossible to remove a species from protection. There's also a certain amount of anti-hunting animus that keeps the powers that be from unprotecting them.

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    JHC...people have nothing better to do??? What a collection of morons.
    Really. The geese were only a health hazard, but probably nowhere near as much of a nuisance as the people who have enough time on their hands and enough vacancy in their skulls to mourn them.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post

They are all over the parking lot at the church I go to on Saturday nights-it's near ponds and lakes and such. The droppings are frequently all over the sidewalk and parking lot. My mom's dog takes smaller dumps than those things.

We also get them in the office parking lot, as my office is a couple of miles from the Detroit River. They are not scared of humans anymore, either, and I'll bet one of them could hurt a little kid. They should just set aside a day a month for the hunters to shoot them-not everywhere, but places like Belle Isle and the metro parks in the burbs.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Really. The geese were only a health hazard, but probably nowhere near as much of a nuisance as the people who have enough time on their hands and enough vacancy in their skulls to mourn them.

Well, when such vacant people find their way into the engines of flying planes, then I'll agree with you. Until then, I give the geese the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    They are all over the parking lot at the church I go to on Saturday nights-it's near ponds and lakes and such. The droppings are frequently all over the sidewalk and parking lot. My mom's dog takes smaller dumps than those things.

We also get them in the office parking lot, as my office is a couple of miles from the Detroit River. They are not scared of humans anymore, either, and I'll bet one of them could hurt a little kid. They should just set aside a day a month for the hunters to shoot them-not everywhere, but places like Belle Isle and the metro parks in the burbs.
    When my daughter was about three, she saw a couple of goslings and walked towards them, but was chased off by an adult. I had to get between them, and the goose wasn't particularly impressed with me, either, but since I didn't advance against its kids, it was content to stand there and honk. Mrs. Ody was watching, and I glared at the goose and, in a loud voice, said "Pate de foi gras!" It cracked her up, but the goose didn't understand the implied threat. C'est la guerre.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Well, when such vacant people find their way into the engines of flying planes, then I'll agree with you. Until then, I give the geese the edge.
    While a few geese can bring down an aircraft, liberals can bring down nations.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!