1. #1 I'll never forget the look in their eyes.......... 
    This is long.......but worth it.

MrScorpio (56,073 posts)

I'll never forget the look in their eyes, they were terrified of me... [View all]

This happened to me many years ago and I'll never forget it... And it explains to me why some are prone to believe Z's story that he was attacked by Trayvon Martin and not the other way around.

Let me start at the beginning: When I was around 18 years old, not much older than Trayvon himself, I used ride my bike to and from Downtown Detroit on the weekends to visit the Ethnic Festivals of the time. My route consisted of riding towards Downtown on Gratiot Ave and returning home on Jefferson Ave. Those of you who understand the layout of the city will understand why this is important.

Well, one day after spending my time at the festival, I took off on my return trip, heading east on Jefferson as I usually did. At some point I was passed on my left by a car, which pulled over to the side and stopped. Just as I was about to pass that stopped car to my right, the driver opened his door right in front of me. I quickly avoided the door for the most part, but clipped the edge with my right pedal. Now, my first reaction wasn't anger that this person almost took me out with his car door... I mean, here I am.. I'm alright and I hadn't bothered to look down at my pedal, which I discovered later was smashed. I was a bit in shock at this, the first thing out of my mouth was, "Are you alright?"

Well, the person who opened his car door in front of me was this older white man and in the passenger seat of the car was his older white wife. Now as I stood there, not angry mind you... not even being loud, without one word to me, he got out of his car and walked over to the newspaper stand that he parked next to, bought a paper and still without saying one word to me, he got back into his car and sped off... Heading east on Jefferson, ostensibly to the safe, White People confines of one the Grosse Pointes or whatever.

Once he did that, I took a moment to reflect on what just happened. Living in Detroit most of my life, I hadn't had much experience in dealing with strange White suburbanites... But to me, this was really telling.

That man and his wife were scared shitless that I was about to do something to them... Harm them in some way. I saw it in their EYES, which spoke to me louder than any words. Committing an act of violence was the furthest thing from my mind, as I said my first reaction was to express concern about them. I was raised to respect my elders and all that and I wasn't harmed. I would have at least liked an apology for almost side-swiping me... But I didn't even get a whoop tie-doo out of these people.

I thought, "How rude," as I saw them drive off.

But not just how rude they were, but genuinely frightened that I would harm them. Perhaps they were feeling guilty for being in the wrong for almost side-swiping me... But, then I thought, if they felt that way one of them would at least had bothered to tell me that they were sorry for doing that. Again, their EYES and their SILENCE spoke volumes.

Living out there in The Pointes, I would hazard a guess that any time they went into the city, their first concern would be to be on the look out for any darkies who would accost them out of the blue. Now just to let you know, I'd known plenty of Whites who lived IN the City and never once had any of these people ever imparted to me that they were scared to walk around Detroit while White. This was the early Eighties and crossing the suburban borders was then a tricky exercise.

But here I was, looking at a couple of scared White Suburbanites leave me flabbergasted in their exhaust.

The thing is that struck me later, in thought, is that I realized that, in the isolation of their bleached Suburban lifestyle, they hadn't had the opportunity to interact with the dazzling array of young Black males of Detroit , such as myself at the time. Instead they were conditioned to fear us and to be scared shitless of us instead of showing us the common fucking courtesy of even talking to us or offering us an apology for almost wiping us out on our bikes while they stopped for a copy of the local paper.

Perhaps, they were under the belief that we young Black males are predisposed to committing acts of violence upon their frail White bodies at the drop of the hat? That fear, of course, impelled them to be the silent assholes that they were.

Which brings us to today.

Earlier today, as I said, I had the misfortune of reading and even writing back and forth with the Z defenders in some of the news sites covering the trial.

And one theme seemed to run through most of their justifications of Z gunning down Martin. In their minds, they are convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that Martin attacked Z without provocation. You couldn't convince these people otherwise. They are rock-solidly certain that Martin was a violent perp who got what he deserved when Z shot him down.

After all, aren't ALL young Black males just itching to attack any unsuspecting White citizen at the drop of a hat? It happens all of the time, they say. We Black males are dangerous, even more so when in the presence of White people... Z was all too fortunate that he was armed for his own safety, that dark and rainy night.

Now, I have my own theory about Z, which I will leave for another time. This bit of writing is about his defenders and exchanges like the one I had on HuffPo with them:

ORANGEHAMMER
    Commented 3 hours ago in Black Voices (I have a distinct impression that this person is anything other than the owner of a Black Voice)

“If the recorded shouting was not "get off me cracker" then it was not the angel TM.”
    Favorite (6)

Mr Scorpio
    135 Fans

3 hours ago ( 1:27 PM)
    You know, if folks like yourself enjoyed the fact that Zimmerman shot Trayvon Martin to death, it would really be nice for all of you to just come out and say it.

That would be a lot more honest than the poorly attempted tries at sarcasm, such as your own.

Christopher007
    14 Fans
    2 hours ago ( 2:15 PM)
    It's quite sad Trayvon died, and I very much wish he hadn't chosen to beat Zimmerman up and it wouldn't have resulted

Mr Scorpio
    135 Fans

1 hour ago ( 2:56 PM)
    Apparently, you're taking Z's side in this argument. Do you also feel that he was justified in leaving his vehicle to follow Martin with a loaded weapon?

I'm still waiting for his answer, by the way.

But anyway, if anything is clear, it's that fear blinds people to a lot of things around them.
    http://www.democraticunderground.com...02&pid=3177639

So da old ascared white man and his old ascared white wife were so ascared of da scaryblackguy that da old, ascared white man got out of his car, left his old, ascared white wife alone in da car, bought a paper and den da old, ascared white man paid no mind to da scaryblackguy and went on his ascared way instead of never getting out da car in the first place?

Bounce.
    Be Not Afraid.

There is absolutely nothing to be scared of where Mr. Dorkio is concerned.

Lame bouncy idiot.
    Last edited by txradioguy; 07-08-2013 at 07:41 AM.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Star Member bullwinkle428 (11,445 posts)

17. "Make sure to lock your doors" is something I hear from
    a family member of mine any time we're in any location where a non-white person might possibly appear somewhere on the street. And we're not talking about an elderly relative, either; this person is still in their 40s, college-educated, and would consider themselves reasonably liberal.

The thread is full of DUmmies fighting. Priceless.
    TRoN33 (111 posts)

28. Without the doubt...

This is very well written in direct rhetoric toward the fearful white people. I'm white myself but I never allowed the fear to guide me anymore. I used to be regular to downtown Minneapolis and North Mpls and never have any issues with any of black people. When I grew up, I was taught to respect anybody no matter who they are and they will return the respect to me. I once got into unintentional altercation with a black dude and I never threw a punch, I told him that I honestly never wanted to provoke him with anything. He apologized and patted on my back.

A white people who are fearful of black people for no reasons except the color or skin are utter pathetic. Its their own choice to be fearful. They chose to allow the Fox News to guide them instead of tell them to think for themselves.
    Fox News is the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!

TeeYiYi (4,730 posts)

91. I don't like racism...

...regardless of the flavor.

Here, let me reverse the roles in the OP for you, and then you can tell me if you sense any racist undertones:

________

I'll never forget the look in their eyes,
    they were terrified of me...

This happened to me many years ago and I'll
    never forget it... And it explains to me why
    some are prone to believe Z's story that he
    was attacked by Trayvon Martin and not the
    other way around.
    Let me start at the beginning: When I was
    around 18 years old, not much older than
    Trayvon himself, I used ride my bike to and
    from Downtown Detroit on the weekends to
    visit the Ethnic Festivals of the time. My route
    consisted of riding towards Downtown on
    Gratiot Ave and returning home on Jefferson
    Ave. Those of you who understand the layout
    of the city will understand why this is
    important.
    Well, one day after spending my time at the
    festival, I took off on my return trip, heading
    east on Jefferson as I usually did. At some
    point I was passed on my left by a car, which
    pulled over to the side and stopped. Just as I
    was about to pass that stopped car to my
    right, the driver opened his door right in
    front of me. I quickly avoided the door for
    the most part, but clipped the edge with my
    right pedal. Now, my first reaction wasn't
    anger that this person almost took me out
    with his car door... I mean, here I am.. I'm
    alright and I hadn't bothered to look down at
    my pedal, which I discovered later was
    smashed. I was a bit in shock at this, the first
    thing out of my mouth was, "Are you alright?"
    Well, the person who opened his car door in
    front of me was this older black man and in
    the passenger seat of the car was his older
    black wife. Now as I stood there, not angry
    mind you... not even being loud, without one
    word to me, he got out of his car and walked
    over to the newspaper stand that he parked
    next to, bought a paper and still without
    saying one word to me, he got back into his
    car and sped off... Heading west on Jefferson,
    ostensibly to the safe, Black People confines
    of one the Projects or whatever.
    Once he did that, I took a moment to reflect
    on what just happened. Living in Detroit most
    of my life, I hadn't had much experience in
    dealing with strange Black urbanites...
    But to me, this was really telling.
    That man and his wife were scared shitless
    that I was about to do something to them...
    Harm them in some way. I saw it in their
    EYES, which spoke to me louder than any
    words. Committing an act of violence was the
    furthest thing from my mind, as I said my
    first reaction was to express concern about
    them. I was raised to respect my elders and
    all that and I wasn't harmed. I would have
    at least liked an apology for almost side-
    swiping me... But I didn't even get a whoop
    tie-doo out of these people.
    I thought, "How rude," as I saw them drive
    off.
    But not just how rude they were, but
    genuinely frightened that I would harm them.
    Perhaps they were feeling guilty for being in
    the wrong for almost side-swiping me... But,
    then I thought, if they felt that way one of
    them would at least had bothered to tell me
    that they were sorry for doing that. Again,
    their EYES and their SILENCE spoke volumes.
    Living out there in The Projects, I would
    hazard a guess that any time they went into
    the city, their first concern would be to be on
    the look out for any whiteys who would accost
    them out of the blue. Now just to let you
    know, I'd known plenty of Blacks who lived
    IN the City and never once had any of these
    people ever imparted to me that they were
    scared to walk around Detroit while Black.
    This was the early Eighties and crossing the
    suburban borders was then a tricky exercise.
    But here I was, looking at a couple of scared
    Black urbanites leave me flabbergasted in
    their exhaust.
    The thing is that struck me later, in thought,
    is that I realized that, in the isolation of their
    dyed black urban lifestyle, they hadn't had
    the opportunity to interact with the dazzling
    array of young White males of Detroit , such
    as myself at the time. Instead they were
    conditioned to fear us and to be scared
    shitless of us instead of showing us the
    common fucking courtesy of even talking to
    us or offering us an apology for almost
    wiping us out on our bikes while they
    stopped for a copy of the local paper.
    Perhaps, they were under the belief that we
    young White males are predisposed to
    committing acts of violence upon their frail
    Black bodies at the drop of the hat? That
    fear, of course, impelled them to be the
    silent assholes that they were.

Snip

After all, aren't ALL young White males just
    itching to attack any unsuspecting Black
    citizen at the drop of a hat? It happens all of
    the time, they say. We White males are
    dangerous, even more so when in the
    presence of Black people...

Snip

But anyway, if anything is clear, it's that fear
    blinds people to a lot of things around them.

________

TYY

It gets better............

etherealtruth (8,491 posts)

93. Bless your heart, you honestly have no idea, do you?

Not a clue. You poor thing.

Someone supplied a link the Conservative Cave a few posts down thread. Do you realize that you are stating (verbatim) what the knuckle draggers have?

treestar (42,792 posts)

102. Like most racists they pretend white people do not

get nervous about driving in urban black neighborhoods. Every white person knows this is true.

and of course in their view Mr. Scorpio had to be the one in the wrong - in their analysis, he is the one who damaged their car - of course! And the man was just startled to see someone there (of any color!) or didn't notice. And his getting the newspaper proves he was not afraid!
    Everything on DU is about race and color. Racist assholes.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Thanks Rob for bringing that one over. I tried a couple
    of times but fell asleep reading it...
    May the FORCE be with you!

102. Like most racists they pretend white people do not

get nervous about driving in urban black neighborhoods. Every white person knows this is true.
    It may be seen as racist, but I don't care. Why would I not be nervous in the section 8 housing where the houses are torn apart, there are vacant buildings, and fresh chalk lines on the ground? I guess statistics, which prove most crime is committed in or around section 8 housing and considering that blacks are disproportionally n section 8 housing, don't mean a thing to you.

Also, when I'm driving on the road and I see some "youth" aka black guy walking on the road I get nervous, know why? Because I don't like people walking next to cars going 40+ mph, I would be scarred for life if someone were to trip/dash out in front of me and I hit them. Oh, and the whole "lock your doors" at a traffic light goes for whites that look like thugs just as much as blacks.

I think these dummies think that background checks are discriminatory just like the dolly bama does

The reason people believe Zimmerman's "story" is that there is ample documentation of what he did and didn't do:

Real Evidence:

1. The 4 minute 11 second police tape (of Zimmerman's call to non emergency dispatch) proving that Zimmerman's "pursuit" was under 25 seconds and that Trayvon ran out of sight easily while Zimmerman was told to stop pursuing (and did). This call also demonstrates that Zimmerman had no idea where Trayvon was when the call ended and had no way of finding him on a darkening, rainy night.

2. The injuries to the back of his head sustained by Zimmerman, as well as the grass stains on the back of his shirt, indicating that Zimmerman was on his back, the victim, and that Trayvon was on top doing the attacking.

3. The witnesses who indicated that Zimmerman was on his back and that Trayvon was attacking him.

4. Trayvon's school records indicating a 17-year-old involved in criminal activity which was not punished as such because of a special policing program at Miami Dade schools which used diversionary programs to keep young black males out of the criminal justice system.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/150440037/...D-Police-Chief

This is all REAL evidence. The rest of it is inflammatory rhetoric which will cause nothing but heartache for this country.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    The reason people believe Zimmerman's "story" is that there is ample documentation of what he did and didn't do:

Real Evidence:

1. The 4 minute 11 second police tape (of Zimmerman's call to non emergency dispatch) proving that Zimmerman's "pursuit" was under 25 seconds and that Trayvon ran out of sight easily while Zimmerman was told to stop pursuing (and did). This call also demonstrates that Zimmerman had no idea where Trayvon was when the call ended and had no way of finding him on a darkening, rainy night.

2. The injuries to the back of his head sustained by Zimmerman, as well as the grass stains on the back of his shirt, indicating that Zimmerman was on his back, the victim, and that Trayvon was on top doing the attacking.

3. The witnesses who indicated that Zimmerman was on his back and that Trayvon was attacking him.

4. Trayvon's school records indicating a 17-year-old involved in criminal activity which was not punished as such because of a special policing program at Miami Dade schools which used diversionary programs to keep young black males out of the criminal justice system.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/150440037/...D-Police-Chief

This is all REAL evidence. The rest of it is inflammatory rhetoric which will cause nothing but heartache for this country.

I agree.

This caller to 911 called the guy black, was he profiling also?

http://youtu.be/eGGVBXPt2aI

9. #9 I'll never forget it either... 
    In my case I was on the ground in my own front yard getting the dog-shit kicked out of me by a cozy little group of eight or nine neighborhood blacks (my schoolmates of the district I had recently moved into). They had gotten off the bus with me and jumped on me before I could get in the house and mom wasn't home from work yet. The look in their eyes was a mixture of pure hatred and pleasure in some with a little guilt in a couple of the guys. Finally one kid named Herman who lived directly across the street called them off, saying "Damn yall, he had enough."
    I had a small mini-bike and had taken him riding on it the previous weekend. I thought we were friends and maybe we were, since he got them off of me. Thus began my Racial Studies 101 class. I was 10 at the time and lived there until age 17. As some product labels say, your results may vary. I'm in my fifties now so I don't really have fear anymore so much as a very high level of, shall we say "situational awareness". And a CHL. Oddly enough I became friends with some of my attackers and hated others but it was based on what they had done and not their or my paint job.
    Last edited by Jim54; 07-20-2013 at 03:21 AM. Reason: clarity
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

True story:

Just a year after moving to the Detroit area (from basically a fishing village in New Brunswick, Canada), I had occasion to visit the area described (Jefferson and Gratiot).

Had a flat tire and pulled off of I-94 while on my way to meet a co-worker (who was black) at one of the manufacturing plants in the area. We were going to fix a painting robot.

Well, I called him to let him know I would be late, and where I was.

I'll never forget his exact words:

"Are you f**king crazy? Get your cracker ass outta there, and back on I-94!!!"
    We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other.
    In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.

~John Adams