Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I thought nearly anything outside of Black history was white history. At least you would think that from our history books.

It's sort of like making a big deal out of a blue sky.

Tropical Storm Chantal Hits Windward Islands,.....

could this be a holdover from Black History Month?

Tropical Storm Trayvon....I can see it now

I thought nearly anything outside of Black history was white history. At least you would think that from our history books.

It's sort of like making a big deal out of a blue sky.

The reason that Black History month was originally established is the same reason why Black colleges like Howard University were founded, why there is/was a Miss Black America contest and why there are protestant denominations like the AME or the CME, which are virtually all black in membership-they were all founded at a time when blacks were excluded from state Universities (like Ole Miss, for example), Miss America, etc. Many of those institutions have survived because of they have become traditions for black Americans. Howard, Moorehouse, Spellman, etc., are good schools.

Black History month remains as one of those traditions. My only issue with it is that it takes people out of the context of their times and, if the teachers are teaching history in a consecutive way (as opposed to episodic), it can be confusing for younger kids.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    The reason that Black History month was originally established is the same reason why Black colleges like Howard University were founded, why there is/was a Miss Black America contest and why there are protestant denominations like the AME or the CME, which are virtually all black in membership-they were all founded at a time when blacks were excluded from state Universities (like Ole Miss, for example), Miss America, etc. Many of those institutions have survived because of they have become traditions for black Americans. Howard, Moorehouse, Spellman, etc., are good schools.

Black History month remains as one of those traditions. My only issue with it is that it takes people out of the context of their times and, if the teachers are teaching history in a consecutive way (as opposed to episodic), it can be confusing for younger kids.

Pretty much the point I was making earlier. We already have white history month. It's every month in every book in every chapter. The justification for this is that supposedly it's white males who have contributed to history and therefore the focus should be on them. That's a bunch of crap.

Now that blacks are accepted at all universities, most to all of the black ones allow whites in now. Not only that, but whites can get a scholarship to go there just because they're the minority.

Pretty much the point I was making earlier. We already have white history month. It's every month in every book in every chapter. The justification for this is that supposedly it's white males who have contributed to history and therefore the focus should be on them. That's a bunch of crap.

Now that blacks are accepted at all universities, most to all of the black ones allow whites in now. Not only that, but whites can get a scholarship to go there just because they're the minority.
    Why can't it simply be history? Because to liberals, it's all about group dynamics. But to me, Frederick Douglas is just as much a part of my heritage as George Washington is. But to liberals, Frederick Douglas is a part of Black History while George Washington is just one of those rich white guys.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Fabulous Poster
    What many black people object to is apportionment.

Years ago the blacks in DC got mad because the ads in the Washington Post department store slicks on Sunday weren't majority black. The Post explained to them that while DC was majority black (only since 1952 BTW) the region was only 25% black. Didn't phase them a bit. Why? Because the response starts with , "Well in my mind, I think they should.... " or "I believe...." Facts don't interest angry people.

When the blacks were saying "They better be some black people on that jury." (Zimmerman) and I pointed out that to match the Florida racial distribution, there would be .96 black people on the jury.... that was not what they had in mind.