Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    In 1986, the Reagan administration made a surprising move. Secretary of State George Schultz called career diplomat Edward Perkins.

"He said, 'There are people around the president who believe that it is time to send a black ambassador,'" recalls Perkins. "He said, 'But not necessarily for the right reasons.'"

Schultz asked Perkins to think about the job overnight, but warned him that the appointment was so controversial that he couldn't talk to anyone but his wife about it. Perkins thought it over.

"My wife was the one who said 'You took an oath of office to go where needed when needed," Perkins says. "So how can you say anything but, 'Yes, I'll go'?"
    As I've said before, controversial ambassador appointments are meant to send a message. Perkins was selected specifically to force the Apartheid regime in South Africa to accept an African American diplomat, and he was also selected because his past service with the State Department made him a thoroughly professional choice. It was meant to be a provocative act that communicated our displeasure with their policies, and presented them with a competent, capable career diplomat. Are you saying that Obama is acting in a similar manner towards the Dominican Republic, and if so, why is he doing so? Why would he choose to deliberately alienate an ally, unless there is a critical policy which he wishes to challenge, and why this particular country?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    In 1986, the Reagan administration made a surprising move. Secretary of State George Schultz called career diplomat Edward Perkins.

"He said, 'There are people around the president who believe that it is time to send a black ambassador,'" recalls Perkins. "He said, 'But not necessarily for the right reasons.'"

Schultz asked Perkins to think about the job overnight, but warned him that the appointment was so controversial that he couldn't talk to anyone but his wife about it. Perkins thought it over.

"My wife was the one who said 'You took an oath of office to go where needed when needed," Perkins says. "So how can you say anything but, 'Yes, I'll go'?"
    So you're saying that Reagan should have picked Robert Byrd or J. William Fulbright as the Ambassador to S. Africa instead?

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.