1. #1 A Tiny Ray Of Common Sense Shines In Washington 

A Tiny Ray Of Common Sense Shines In Washington

Regulation: We don't often find ourselves agreeing with what most lawmakers say, but this week was an exception when a congressman explained why he wanted to prevent a federal ban on traditional light bulbs.

ngacl'If the new energy-efficient light bulbs save money, and if they're better for the environment, we should trust our constituents to make the choice on their own to move toward these bulbs," Rep. Michael Burgess, R-Texas, said. "Let the market decide."

Imagine that! Trust consumers. Let the market decide. A common-sense idea that expresses basic economic principles.

But such simple wisdom is uncommonly rare these days among lawmakers on both sides of the aisle. The reason for Burgess' remarks stems from one of President George W. Bush's less-stellar moments, when in 2007 he signed a wrong-headed energy bill pushed by Democrats. That law, among other things, sought to ban the traditional, reliable and incredibly cheap incandescent light bulb.

Democrats planned to achieve this goal by imposing efficiency standards on light bulbs that those incandescents would never meet. The rules were supposed to be phased in, first hitting 100-watt bulbs in 2012, followed by 75-watt bulbs this year and the 60-watts in 2014. The standards would have left consumers with little alternative but to buy more-expensive bulbs, such as halogens, compact fluorescents or LEDs, when their old incandescents burned out. In addition, as we noted in this space last year, a second and far more stringent efficiency standard is set to kick in by 2020 that even today's compact fluorescents couldn't meet. All in the name of saving the planet.

Republicans suspended the rule shortly after taking over Congress in 2011, and they've kept at it since by denying the Department of Energy funds needed to implement the standard. Interestingly, the GOP effort put a spotlight not only on the Democrats' desire to control every aspect of American life, but on crony capitalism run amok. The suspension upset big companies like General Electric, Philips and Osram Sylvania that had been counting on the new rules to create a market for their high-priced alternatives.

But suspending this rule isn't enough. It should be overturned.

InvestorsBusinessDaily

Now what am I going to do with this lifetime supply of incandescent light bulbs that I've bought and is taking up so much closet storage space?
    http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/JansGraphix/ConsUndergrd-Sig2.jpg
    Liberalism is just communism sold by the drink.

Power CUer
    I don't know where the graphic came from, but that's not a "department" we have, it's a Parliamentary committee in Britain. I have also been stocking up on the "old" lightbulbs. :)
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I don't know where the graphic came from, but that's not a "department" we have, it's a Parliamentary committee in Britain.
    Well, I should hope thats a bit obvious. Btw... Britain is where this insanity started. But do you think we're going to find such an excellent graphic from this nations current marxist thugocracy?

'Tis a shame there appears to be no Democrats in Washington with IQs quite high enough to think this intelligently.

Senior Member Unreconstructed Reb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I have also been stocking up on the "old" lightbulbs. :)
    I think it's interesting that .gov threatens to ban incandescent bulbs we all run out and stock up on incandescent bulbs. Same with guns, ammo, etc. We have become so used to being manipulated that all the ruling class has to do to drive the market is threaten to ban an item and we all rush out to buy those items creating windfall profits for Big Manufacturing, Goldman Sachs, .gov and the Ivy League ruling class. Kinda makes you feel like a first class chump, don't it.
    Last edited by Unreconstructed Reb; 07-12-2013 at 12:54 PM.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that you won't need it until they try to take it away."---Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It's a classic example of unintended consequences as practiced by libtards....

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Quote Originally Posted by Janice View Post

'Tis a shame there appears to be no Democrats in Washington with IQs quite high enough to think this intelligently.
    And its too bad there arent any republicans in Washington with an IQ high enough to apply this same principle to ethanol.

Quote Originally Posted by Janice View Post
    And its too bad there arent any republicans in Washington with an IQ high enough to apply this same principle to ethanol.
    ...but, but, but,......aren't we supposed to burn our food?

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Yes, I cant help but wonder how popular this idea would be in China... or Russia.

America couldnt be destroyed "from the outside". So I guess its "an inside job" now. Our own electards bringing our nation to its knees. Unlimited govt certainly proves "power corrupts ..."