1. #1 Do you have faith in the Jury System? 
    I don't.

Am watching Fox programs tonight til Greta is over. Can't stay! Mr. ABC thinks I am nuts! Who cares?

Also ... how many in here have received a jury summons? I have had 3 of them so far, and have a very definite opinion on this subject, which I will come back in with sometime tomorrow.

~ ABC
    American By Choice ~ 1980

Hand picked judge and probably hand picked jury, we'll find out later they are all members of the teachers union or something similar.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Met with a Judge a few years back after being dismissed from a jury pool and suggested a new profession of Juror.

He did not like the idea but, to me, it could work out. The requirements could be set to match the "jury of your peers" easily enough and the position would require testing and qualifying.

My opinion on the system is that a current jury is made up of two varieties of folks for the most part: too dumb to get out of it & those with an axe to grind. Neither prosecution nor defense want educated jurors and each will target other characteristics (as they should under the current system).
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

What's the old joke that no one should want their life in the hands of 6-12 morons who couldn't get off of jury duty.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Served on a jury (attempted murder), discharged from one jury pool (burglary, rape, murder), and discharged from another when the defendant pleaded out just before selection was to begin.

Jury pool selection, so long as it's randomly chosen from the voter rolls, is okay. The problems come in with peremptory challenges during voir dire. Too often a jury ends up slanted, or with jurists who are not qualified to perform as jurists.

The United States gives both the defense and prosecution a limited number of unconditional peremptory challenges, without justification, to be brought to exclude a specific juror.

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

I have no faith in this jury or jury system.
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

Fabulous Poster
    I have to wonder how they got the idea that jurors should be ignorant of the event prior to the trial. In the history of this country, it's unimaginable that a court in Williamsburg would send to Charleston for jurors.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I have to wonder how they got the idea that jurors should be ignorant of the event prior to the trial.
    Logging in for 2 mins, just to answer this one ...

Nova, I know, I know!

The lawyers on BOTH sides want folks on the jury to not know or care, too busy, etc ... which end is up as to what is going on around them!

That way the jurors can easily be influenced (read "manipulated") by whatever is presented to them by either side.

~ ABC

Quote Originally Posted by ABC in Georgia View Post
    I don't.

>snip<

Also ... how many in here have received a jury summons? I have had 3 of them so far, and have a very definite opinion on this subject, which I will come back in with sometime tomorrow.

~ ABC
    Finally remembered where I had posted this, duh! I never keep track in any shape or form.

Was going to go on about the folks I have met while sitting in court rooms and those finally chosen etc ... but is no longer pertinent. Still have a very low opinion of the jury system.

However, am delighted to say that in this particular trial, they did absolutely fine ... and as in the case of "broken clocks", they are capable of being right twice a day!

~ ABC