1. #1 Flashback: Obama boasted in 2012: ‘We refused to let Detroit go bankrupt’ 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! And????
    May the FORCE be with you!

Don't worry SR obama will be using your dollars (and the rest of ours) to bail out Detroit, now if that was a RED city in a RED state I am sure he'd drag his feet on that.
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

The Detroit tombstone...

Courtesy of the previous mayors...
    From January 1952 to Today–
    Jerome Cavanagh (D)
    Roman Gribbs (D)
    Coleman Young (D)
    Dennis Archer (D)
    Kwame Kilpatrick (D – Convicted)
    Kenneth Cockrel, Jr. (D)
    Dave Bing (D)

Take a bow, Democrats. To see what was once a magnificent home sickens me. But this is what happens when the left gets control of your money.

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Obama was not referring to the City of Detroit in that speech, he was referring to the Big 3 automakers collectively as "Detroit".

Personally, I thought that the reason that an emergency manager was appointed was to avoid bankruptcy for the city.

Not all those mayors are responsible for the current situation. Dennis Archer was a good mayor and did a pretty good job reversing some of the problems that got out of control during the seemingly never ending administration of Coleman Young. Then Kwame got in and messed it up all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Obama was not referring to the City of Detroit in that speech, he was referring to the Big 3 automakers collectively as "Detroit".

Personally, I thought that the reason that an emergency manager was appointed was to avoid bankruptcy for the city.

Not all those mayors are responsible for the current situation. Dennis Archer was a good mayor and did a pretty good job reversing some of the problems that got out of control during the seemingly never ending administration of Coleman Young. Then Kwame got in and messed it up all over again.
    Did you read Charlie LeDuff's book Detroit: An American Autopsy?

After reading it, you might just change your mind a bit. LeDuff's a journalist who relocated to Detroit from LA (he was originally from the west side) and began exploring the city, the county, the culture, the corruption, and even the good people in that city.

There are a few left, evidently.
    U.S. Army, Retired

...Personally, I thought that the reason that an emergency manager was appointed was to avoid bankruptcy for the city...
    Might have worked, too, if city council wasn't convinced they could 'business as usual' their way out of it.

They fought him at every turn, refusing to compromise, except cosmetically, on even the smallest of drawbacks.

At some point, you have to stop humoring the children, and carry on with the work of grown-ups...
    We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other.
    In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.

~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Eupher View Post
    Did you read Charlie LeDuff's book Detroit: An American Autopsy?

After reading it, you might just change your mind a bit. LeDuff's a journalist who relocated to Detroit from LA (he was originally from the west side) and began exploring the city, the county, the culture, the corruption, and even the good people in that city.

There are a few left, evidently.
    Yeah, I recommended the book to you! It's a great book about the city, but I've also read other good books about Detroit and it's history. Ze'ev Chavets wrote a good one in the 80s, focusing on Devil's Night celebrations, which were kind of at height in those years.

I lived in the city from 1989-2011. By the time Coleman Young left office in 1993, the city was in ruins. A lot of it was his fault, his corruption scandals were legendary. They never did catch him, though, always caught his hangers-on and one police chief. We didn't have cable until 91-92, because Coleman would only allow a black-owned company to have the contract. The suburbs all had had cable since the 70s, like the rest of the world. Then, Barden cable sucked, too-it had channels that didn't come in well, and frequent disruptions. They also censored things they considered "anti-black", including videos on MTV. I'm sure that in addition to being a black cable company owner, Barden had to give a lot of money to Coleman's campaign to ensure the contract.

Man, wasn't that stuff Charlie wrote about Monica Conyers a trip, though? What a looney bitch. I'm pretty sure those kids of hers aren't the biological offspring of her husband the congressman. I'm guessing Sam Riddle is the father. The man is a dog, he's the only person in the whole scandal that I've ever met and he spent the whole conversation moving his head around, trying to look at my tits.

Ford did not take any bail out money. Last I checked they were not in "Detroit" either. They are in Dearborn and the rest of the world but I did not think they were in Detroit.
    Last edited by RobJohnson; 07-23-2013 at 12:39 PM.