Thread: Canning Recipes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ABC in Georgia View Post
    My favorite things to make are hot canapes.

~ ABC

I usually take the peas out of the can before I heat them, must be an English custom.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I usually take the peas out of the can before I heat them, must be an English custom.
    Beloved Dingbat!

~ ABC
    American By Choice ~ 1980

Power CUer
    PS ... re "Coke Floats", I don't like Root Beer, is strange tasting stuff, so always used Coke. What is the overwhelming flavoring in Root Beer anyway, do you know?

~ ABC
    Sassafras, I think....? Although I doubt they do it with the tree bark and root anymore.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Strawberry Lemonade Concentrate

You will need:

6 cups hulled strawberries(for raspberry lemonade concentrate, just replace strawberries with raspberries. Rest of the recipe is the same)
    4 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice(if you have a juicer, it will save your life)
    6 cups granulated sugar
    Directions:

1.) PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready to use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
    2.) PURÉE strawberries in a blender or food processor fitted with a metal blade, working in batches, until smooth. Transfer to a large stainless steel saucepan as completed.
    3.) ADD lemon juice and sugar to strawberry puree, stirring to combine. Heat to 190° F over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Do not boil. Remove from heat and skim off foam.
    4.) LADLE hot concentrate into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.
    5.) PROCESS jars in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.

QUICK TIP:
    To reconstitute, the book says to mix 1 part water to 1 part concentrate but this is too sweet. We've found that 1 pint makes a half gallon of juice.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Linda ...

Have you noticed the price of eye of newt in the grocery stores lately?

Only joking ... I don't can anything either, nor do I bake cookies. My favorite things to make are hot canapes and fancy desserts for dinner parties.

PS ... re "Coke Floats", I don't like Root Beer, is strange tasting stuff, so always used Coke. What is the overwhelming flavoring in Root Beer anyway, do you know?

~ ABC
    Most rootbeer is artificially flavored with the main ingredient being vanilla. But in the day, sassafras root was the flavoring but thanks to the FDA it is banned from use.

NJ, sorry, for interrupting your canning recipe thread ...

Thanks however, for the info re the ingredients in Root Beer being changed. When I was young (back in the dark ages sometime ) it used to taste "medicinal" to me.

Is reason I didn't like it.
    American By Choice ~ 1980

My parents can their tomato sauce and usually buy bushels of tomatoes when they are in season. It's a whole weekend project and one I grew up with...but I was always the helper, so I have no idea how to do it, but they use a lot of mason jars and big pots.

Of course, I never have to buy tomato sauce and the jar or canned stuff in the supermarkets just isn't the same.

Wifey just spent the last week canning pickles. We have jars and jars of dills, garlic dills, refrigerator dills, bread and butter pickles. We got the pickles to can free from her cousin. Must have been 1,000 pickles in that box and we're not done yet.