Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Michigan AG challenges judge's ruling that Detroit bankruptcy is unconstitutional 
    LANSING — An Ingham County judge says Thursday's historic Detroit bankruptcy filing violates the Michigan Constitution and state law and must be withdrawn.

But Attorney General Bill Schuette said he will appeal Circuit Judge Rosemarie Aquilina’s Friday rulings and seek emergency consideration by the Michigan Court of Appeals. He wants her orders stayed pending the appeals, he said in a news release.

In a spate of orders today arising from three separate lawsuits, Aquilina said Gov. Rick Snyder and Detroit emergency manager Kevyn Orr must take no further actions that threaten to diminish the pension benefits of City of Detroit retirees.

“I have some very serious concerns because there was this rush to bankruptcy court that didn’t have to occur and shouldn’t have occurred,” Aquilina said.
    Read More>http://www.freep.com/article/2013071...constitutional

Before this is over Obama will step in and use tax payer money to prop up union pensions and quite possibly attempt to bail the city out. Black + union= endless taxpayer money pit under Obama admin.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Oh you know Barry will bail them. He will just borrow the money from China again.

I love my God, my country, my flag, and my troops ....

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post

“I have some very serious concerns because there was this rush to bankruptcy court that didn’t have to occur and shouldn’t have occurred,” Aquilina said.
    Translation. They should have raised taxes on the "Ebil Rich".
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Those are matters properly to be raised in the bankruptcy proceeding, not something for any random circuit judge the union can get into its pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeEDay View Post
    Oh you know Barry will bail them. He will just borrow the money from China again.
    Nope, seems Barry told them to F'off in not so polite terms.

Via The American Interest:

Buried in the middle of the report is a telling climax to this sorry tragedy:

Any hope of a federal bailout to avert bankruptcy fizzled last week after Mr. Orr spoke with the White House, including Obama confidante Valerie Jarrett, according to city and White House officials.

This is where blue governance has brought Detroit in the end: not even a liberal Democratic administration will step in to save the pensions of thousands of public workers and African Americans, condemning countless innocents to having their pensions and health benefits gutted in bankruptcy court.
    Rest In Peace America

Interesting point raised.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/20/ar...ection.html?hp

Seems the city of Detroit OWNS over $2 BILLION in art.

As the bankruptcy proceeds the judge will have to decide if and what of this art should and must be sold off to pay off its debt. And what kind of effect it could have on future city revenue from tourism.

A better question is, how did a city with such a bad record in managing it's money come to own Bruegel, Caravaggio, Rembrandts and van Goghs. It is considered among the top 10 encyclopedic museums in the country owned by the city, not private collectors loaning out their art.
    Rest In Peace America

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Interesting point raised.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/20/ar...ection.html?hp

Seems the city of Detroit OWNS over $2 BILLION in art.

As the bankruptcy proceeds the judge will have to decide if and what of this art should and must be sold off to pay off its debt. And what kind of effect it could have on future city revenue from tourism.

A better question is, how did a city with such a bad record in managing it's money come to own Bruegel, Caravaggio, Rembrandts and van Goghs. It is considered among the top 10 encyclopedic museums in the country owned by the city, not private collectors loaning out their art.
    A corporation could be formed around the museum with shares sold to private individuals and companies, the proceeds form the shares could then go to pay the debt owed by the city and with proper management the museum could become profitable a generate money for the local economy.
    The dead weight worthless trash democrats that have run one of the most enterprising and profitable cities in history of mankind into the dirt need to be given a bus ride out of town or given jobs cleaning up behind the zoo animals.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Nope, seems Barry told them to F'off in not so polite terms.

Via The American Interest:
    WHy would he bail them out? they are already on the plantation.
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

Obama may say no at the present but mark my word, US taxpayers will pay the bill. Obama is an expert with back door solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    Those are matters properly to be raised in the bankruptcy proceeding, not something for any random circuit judge the union can get into its pocket.
    From the article:

Aquilina said the Michigan Constitution prohibits actions that will lessen the pension benefits of public employees, including those in the City of Detroit. Snyder and Orr violated the constitution by going ahead with the bankruptcy filing, because they know reductions in those benefits will result, Aquilina said.
    This is utterly specious. The Michigan Constitution doesn't govern the compensation of city employees, much less that of former employees. The sole mention of collective bargaining in the constitution applies to state troopers.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!