Thread: House Republicans: No Bailout Until After Election Day

1. #1 House Republicans: No Bailout Until After Election Day 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s

A growing number of Republicans who rejected the president's $700 billion bank bailout have a morning-after message for the White House: Go away until after Election Day. That's right, some of those who junked the plan to rescue bankers who went to the edge and further to dole out loans say there's nothing that will make them switch their vote just a month before the election. "The guys who voted 'no' are happy today," a key source tells me. "They are happy they fulfilled their voters' desire against a federal bailout." And those who had a green light before their names in the House chamber? "They are continuing to get pounded."

So what is the nay-voters' suggestion to the GOP leadership, already under attack by conservative members for forcing the vote? Put it off. "A few are now thinking that no legislation may pass prior to the election," says my insider. "Let the markets fumble along. We cannot see at this moment any movement by voters that they would tell their members who voted 'no' to change their vote to 'yes.' "
    http://www.usnews.com/blogs/washingt...ction-day.html

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    A growing number of Republicans who rejected the president's $700 billion bank bailout have a morning-after message for the White House: Go away until after Election Day.
    OUTSTANDING!

Does deflate John McCain’s "Captain America comes to DC to save the day!" routine though. Oh well. ;)
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    OUTSTANDING!

Does deflate John McCain’s "Captain America comes to DC to save the day!" routine though. Oh well. ;)
    True. That may have been his motive or it may just be the motive detractors gave him. Either way it didn't work out well for him. I for one am glad on behalf of our Nation in spite of the nose punch to McCain.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand