Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 New Christian Song Sparks Controversy Fireworks 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Contemporary Orthodox Christian singer/songwriter, Jim Giatas, has written and recorded “If You Imagine” as an answer to former Beatle, John Lennon’s song “Imagine.”

– “If You Imagine” has generated significant criticism. One writer called it blasphemy. On MySpace, Vangellis responded that it was: “A terrible denigration of Lennon's ode to reason. And the fireworks are just beginning.

If You Imagine
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMM3WZ7AErA

“John’s song has gone virtually unchallenged for all these years and I felt compelled to write an answer to it from my own conservative Orthodox Christian faith.”

“I ‘ve always been a Beatles and John fan. I mean no disrespect to John’s memory. His loss was an unspeakable tragedy. I never knew him personally but I understand that he was a very sweet guy. I’d like to think that John would have liked my song - especially since he has so many ardent and sycophant followers and that his music and his humanist - athiestic philosophy have become something of a sacred cow. Nevertheless, as I say in my song, ‘If you imagine (no religion, no God, etc), you couldn’t be more wrong.”

In 2004, Rolling Stone magazine voted "Imagine" the third greatest song of all time. Former U.S. president Jimmy Carter said, "In many countries around the world — my wife and I have visited about 125 countries — you hear John Lennon's song 'Imagine' used almost equally with national anthems."[

In the book Lennon in America, written by Geoffrey Giuliano, Lennon commented that the song was "an anti-religious, anti-nationalistic, anti-conventional, anti-capitalistic song, but because it's sugar-coated, it's accepted." Lennon also described it as "virtually the Communist Manifesto".

]

I can't find the lyrics so that will have to wait.

The idea that Lennon wrote an important song - let alone the third best song - is absurd. However much you like his band or his songwriting, he is still a talentless hack compared to the composers of plainsong, Gregorian chant, Western classical music, classical Indian music, or most global drinking songs. That's also true for virtually every pop music icon. Once the Boomers are gone, their love affair with Top 40 will go with them.

I think it's fine to write a counter-song but it's really laughable for this guy's detractors to criticize the effort as "blasphemous" or as some kind of violation of "imaginary" musical rules or protocols.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I can't find the lyrics so that will have to wait.

The idea that Lennon wrote an important song - let alone the third best song - is absurd. However much you like his band or his songwriting, he is still a talentless hack compared to the composers of plainsong, Gregorian chant, Western classical music, classical Indian music, or most global drinking songs. That's also true for virtually every pop music icon. Once the Boomers are gone, their love affair with Top 40 will go with them.

I think it's fine to write a counter-song but it's really laughable for this guy's detractors to criticize the effort as "blasphemous" or as some kind of violation of "imaginary" musical rules or protocols.

"Ask and you ...."
    The lyrics to “If You Imagine”

IF YOU IMAGINE

IF YOU IMAGINE ONLY SKY ABOVE
    NO HEAVEN OR HELL BELOW
    IF YOU IMAGINE NO RELIGION OR GOD
    YOU COULDN’T BE MORE WRONG

CREATION COULD NOT BE BY CHANCE
    GOD REALLY DOES EXIST
    BECAUSE WE WERE MADE IN HIS IMAGE, LIFE IS SACRED
    AND SO YOU COULDN’T BE MORE WRONG

NO MATTER WHAT YOU MIGHT IMAGINE
    JUST LIKE ADAM AND EVE
    YOU’VE BEEN DECEIVED
    LOVE ISN’T ALL YOU NEED

IF YOU IMAGINE THE WORLD AS ONE
    AS IF ONLY THEN PEACE WOULD COME
    AND WITHOUT COUNTRIES
    HUNGER AND GREED WOULD END
    YOU COULDN’T BE MORE WRONG

MAN IS NOT THE MEASURE OF ALL THINGS
    MARX AND LENNON WERE GREATLY MISTAKEN
    WITHOUT RIGHTS LIKE PROPERTY IN OUR POSSESSION
    YOUR “BROTHERHOOD OF MAN” IS REALLY SLAVERY

//: LOVE ISN’T ALL YOU NEED ://

Words and Music By Jim Giatas
    All Rights Reserved
    ASCAP

Sales rule all in the music industry. When speaking of this particular "talentless hack" you have to move those figures into the "B" column.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Well, I'm sure that's a real catchy tune but neither it nor the original are life changing musical moments. :D

Well, I'm sure that's a real catchy tune but neither it nor the original are life changing musical moments. :D
    It isn't much but some will like it I guess !

However much you like his band or his songwriting, he is still a talentless hack compared to the composers of plainsong, Gregorian chant, Western classical music, classical Indian music, or most global drinking songs. That's also true for virtually every pop music icon. Once the Boomers are gone, their love affair with Top 40 will go with them.
    You're the devil.

Gregorian chant? Classical Indian music? Just shoot me now.

Lennon and those guys are not Top 40.

Back on topic: At first I thought that song was a joke. That guy cannot sing. I don't see him going past round 1 on Idol.
    Be Not Afraid.

Banned
    See, this is the problem with organized religion and it's ridiculous.......

Just kidding ;)

Patent Member
    Every time I hear that Lenin song, I imagine Russian tanks rolling through Eastern Europe.

Not that I'm saying this guy's song is any better than Lenin's, but at least he's not a Marxist.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    See, this is the problem with organized religion and it's ridiculous.......

Just kidding ;)
    Go to your room willie !