Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Everybody who studies music formally and a lot of interested others. Believe me, the structure of 'Imagine' isn't worth studying.
    So, whoever makes the most complex piece of music wins? That's silly. The simplicity or complexity of a piece of music is a formalistic concern which has no bearing on the artistic value of that piece. Case in point, Kenny G's music. If the criteria for judging the value of music were the level of complexity achieved then we would have to judge Kenny G's music to be genius. But it isn't genius. It's mediocre dreck which is doomed to exist in dusty bins at thrift stores.

Miley Cyrus' 'Breakout' was more musically complex and intellectually challenging than "Imagine".
    I don't know what the song Breakout sounds like but assuming that it is some sort of warmed over pop/country stupidity I can assure you that it will fade away into obscurity a lot sooner than the song Imagine.
    Last edited by The Night Owl; 10-01-2008 at 08:49 AM.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

noonwitch
    Imagine has been sung by the choir at my hippie liberal church at some point since I joined, but back when MW was our pastor. It's a song that as a liberal, I have always liked. I love the Beatles' music, and think that none of their solo works were ever as good overall as the music the band made, especially after they started writing their own songs. Ginger is right on one level, that it is essentially pop music, but it was exceptionally good pop music. But their best songs, musically, are more than just pop music and play on classical themes. "Eleanor Rigby" has a baroque feel to the string parts (I played it in a quartet or two, goofing off with my fellow orchestra geek friends on "fun days" ). "Something" is a wonderful love song that Frank Sinatra praised. "Let It Be" is a song that many people relate to, and is a song I have sung with both evangelical youth groups and with liberal ones.

Dylan was more of a poet, the Stones rocked harder, the Who broke things and white boys in the 70s tried to get girls in bed with Led Zepplin tunes, but the Beatles will always be loved. My brother, who hated the Beatles when we were kids, has his kids listening to it, because he said he doesn't worry about the lyrics. We're not even of the real boomer generation, having been born in the 60s.

I think that John Lennon unintentionally tried very hard to be a Bob Dylan like composer. Unfortunately the social commentary came naturally to Dylan but not to Lennon.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    That the Beatles probably wouldn't succeed on American Idol says a lot about American Idol and none of it is good.
    Boy, that's no shit.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

This thread interested me so much that I have incorporated some of the issues in the TOTD for today in the Lounge.

Drop on in, people. :D

Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    That the Beatles probably wouldn't succeed on American Idol says a lot about American Idol and none of it is good.
    Which precisely makes my point about the Beatles. I just don't like their music because it sounds stupid to me. I give you two prime examples; I Want to Hold Your Hand and Yellow Submarine.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    Which precisely makes my point about the Beatles. I just don't like their music because it sounds stupid to me. I give you two prime examples; I Want to Hold Your Hand and Yellow Submarine.
    "Yellow Submarine" is a later song that was meant to be a novelty song. You can't compare all of their songs as if they were intended to be equally "significant". Unlike you, I suspect, I remember when "I Want to Hold Your Hand" came out. The British sound was very new and different from what we had here.

Forty years and more later, some of their songs are still wonderful - "I'll Follow the Sun", "Things We Said Today", "Here Comes the Sun", "You're Gonna Lose that Girl", are among those that still make me smile, and I still remember every note. A few of their songs will still be standards in another forty years.

Can Limp Bizkit say the same? :p
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    "Yellow Submarine" is a later song that was meant to be a novelty song. You can't compare all of their songs as if they were intended to be equally "significant". Unlike you, I suspect, I remember when "I Want to Hold Your Hand" came out. The British sound was very new and different from what we had here.

Forty years and more later, some of their songs are still wonderful - "I'll Follow the Sun", "Things We Said Today", "Here Comes the Sun", "You're Gonna Lose that Girl", are among those that still make me smile, and I still remember every note. A few of their songs will still be standards in another forty years.

The White Album and Abbey Roads are classics that I don't beleive will ever sound dated. When you compare the music on those records with the style of music being played at the time you realize just how far ahead of their time the Beatles really were.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

If "Imagine" had not been written and performed by Lennon, would it still be a "hit"?
    There's no way you can trust her. Her missile is gigantic

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post

"My Guitar Gently Weeps," "Blackbird," "A Day in the Life" all impressive stuff. And, my favorite of their "novelty" songs, "Rocky Raccoon." :D