Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    "Yellow Submarine" is a later song that was meant to be a novelty song. You can't compare all of their songs as if they were intended to be equally "significant". Unlike you, I suspect, I remember when "I Want to Hold Your Hand" came out. The British sound was very new and different from what we had here.

Forty years and more later, some of their songs are still wonderful - "I'll Follow the Sun", "Things We Said Today", "Here Comes the Sun", "You're Gonna Lose that Girl", are among those that still make me smile, and I still remember every note. A few of their songs will still be standards in another forty years.

Can Limp Bizkit say the same? :p
    You suspicion is incorrect. I'm of a generation that is supposed to like the Beatles. I don't. Novelty or not, if the Beatles get credit for their good songs, they get equal blame for the bad ones.

Not all their music is bad, I just don't care for it. As for Limp Bizkit, who cares?
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Rock music, particularly folk rock, supported by the rapid advances in technology that enable people to have access to music and video so easily and portably, has become the one truly new art form of the 20th century. Such music, combining poetry and music, has superceded the traditional poetic medium and its greatests practitioners, Dylan and Simon, will be remembered for a long time to come.

However, I do like "classical Indian music." :D

Hallelujah CW!!!

Amen.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Megs,

Do you have a link for this? I am passing it on to some friends of mine.

Thanks!
    Here you go .
    http://freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2096628/posts

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Rock music, particularly folk rock, supported by the rapid advances in technology that enable people to have access to music and video so easily and portably, has become the one truly new art form of the 20th century. Such music, combining poetry and music, has superceded the traditional poetic medium and its greatests practitioners, Dylan and Simon, will be remembered for a long time to come.

However, I do like "classical Indian music." :D

Are you following in the wake of Brigadier-General Sir Harry Paget Flashman VC KCB KCIE (5 May 1822 – 1915) ?
    http://www.amazon.com/Flashman-Novel.../dp/0452259614

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Are you following in the wake of Brigadier-General Sir Harry Paget Flashman VC KCB KCIE (5 May 1822 – 1915) ?
    http://www.amazon.com/Flashman-Novel.../dp/0452259614
    Oh, I'm quite familiar with Harry Flashman; he's one of my role models in life. :D

Who'll be my role-model
    Now that my role-model is
    Gone Gone
    He ducked back down the alley
    With some roly-poly little bat-faced girl
    All along along
    There were incidents and accidents
    There were hints and allegations

You suspicion is incorrect. I'm of a generation that is supposed to like the Beatles. I don't. Novelty or not, if the Beatles get credit for their good songs, they get equal blame for the bad ones.

Where is this law written? I'm not aware of any musician who is equally proud of everything they've done. Some would like to erase one, or more. I'm not a big Beatle fan either. But, they came out with music that was unique to anything at a point in time. They were hugely influential in changing pop music. This is undeniable. Listen to music 6 months prior and 6 months post to "I wanna hold your hand". They wholesale changed pop music. No, it's not a deep and meaningful song on any level. What is is, is totally new, with little to no recognizable influence (I.E. theft)of any prior music. How rare it such an event?
    The reality is, they single-handily shaped pop music. That puts them in a super-elite class of musicians. The 'stones, while refining and capitalizing on any given layer of the evolving musical styles, never originated these layers. The Beatles did. The Beatles secured an undeniable historical place in pop music evolution. Their music has, and will continue to survive. Everyone is free to like, or dislike any music out there. Thats how art works. But, there are some historical events in music that are undeniable. The Beatles are responsible for one of them. However, Herman's Hermits were not.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rd-try View Post
    However, Herman's Hermits were not.
    Yeah, but The Turtles..sheer genius.:p
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

No wonder the libs are pissed, its not about murdering unborn children, rampant drug use and sex w/ random partners
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants, it is the creed of slaves." -William Pitt