Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27
  1. #11  
    Senior Member DumbAss Tanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    3,017
    If they're our Greece, does that mean we can kick them out of the dollar zone and make them go to drachmas?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    13,094
    There is no one cause. All the mentioned possible causes play a role. White flight plays a role in Detroit's problems. So does political corruption, especially that of Coleman Young and Kwame Kilpatrick, and various city council members over the years. The decline of the auto industry is also a factor-Detroit was for decades a one-industry city. Everything was centered around auto production. Same with Flint, too. Even smaller companies were making products for the big 3.

    I would say that in a lot of ways, the white flight reaction to the riots of 67 is one of the biggest factors in the decline. The riots were a reaction to the brutal and deadly use of police force against black Detroiters. The riots were worse than those in most cities, except possibly Watts. The National Guard had to be called up by Gov. Romney to establish peace again. After that, the white population fled the city over the next ten years. Coleman Young would have never been elected mayor had the white population not fled to that degree.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Resident Grandpa marv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Shell Knob, MO
    Posts
    3,048
    The '67 riots?

    The Detroit Riot of 1967 began when police vice squad officers executed a raid on an after hours drinking club or “blind pig” in a predominantly black neighborhoods located at Twelfth Street and Clairmount Avenue. They were expecting to round up a few patrons, but instead found 82 people inside holding a party for two returning Vietnam veterans. Yet, the officers attempted to arrest everyone who was on the scene. While the police awaited a “clean-up crew” to transport the arrestees, a crowd gathered around the establishment in protest. After the last police car left, a small group of men who were “confused and upset because they were kicked out of the only place they had to go” lifted up the bars of an adjacent clothing store and broke the windows. From this point of origin, further reports of vandalism diffused. Looting and fires spread through the Northwest side of Detroit, then crossed over to the East Side. Within 48 hours, the National Guard was mobilized, to be followed by the 82nd airborne on the riot’s fourth day. As police and military troops sought to regain control of the city, violence escalated. At the conclusion of 5 days of rioting, 43 people lay dead, 1189 injured and over 7000 people had been arrested.

    At a black power rally in Detroit in early July 1967, H. Rap Brown foreshadowed the course of future events, stating that if “Motown” didn’t come around, “we are going to burn you down”.

    http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

    Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

    THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    Senior Member DumbAss Tanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    3,017
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    There is no one cause. All the mentioned possible causes play a role. White flight plays a role in Detroit's problems. So does political corruption, especially that of Coleman Young and Kwame Kilpatrick, and various city council members over the years. The decline of the auto industry is also a factor-Detroit was for decades a one-industry city. Everything was centered around auto production. Same with Flint, too. Even smaller companies were making products for the big 3.

    I would say that in a lot of ways, the white flight reaction to the riots of 67 is one of the biggest factors in the decline. The riots were a reaction to the brutal and deadly use of police force against black Detroiters. The riots were worse than those in most cities, except possibly Watts. The National Guard had to be called up by Gov. Romney to establish peace again. After that, the white population fled the city over the next ten years. Coleman Young would have never been elected mayor had the white population not fled to that degree.
    Soooo...why would anyone who had a choice have stayed...?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    Soooo...why would anyone who had a choice have stayed...?
    Similar situation to what many have experienced today. Declining property values left many people underwater and forced to stay. Others refused to submit and leave the city that they grew up in. Or they strived to help reverse the course that it was taking, or at least stem the tide. It didn't become a horrendous place overnight. Even into the late eighties there were still pockets of vibrant communities within Detroit. One could even argue that a few of those pockets still exist today, it's just the next block over and you've returned to the ghetto.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    Senior Member DumbAss Tanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    3,017
    Quote Originally Posted by Artois View Post
    Similar situation to what many have experienced today. Declining property values left many people underwater and forced to stay. Others refused to submit and leave the city that they grew up in. Or they strived to help reverse the course that it was taking, or at least stem the tide. It didn't become a horrendous place overnight. Even into the late eighties there were still pockets of vibrant communities within Detroit. One could even argue that a few of those pockets still exist today, it's just the next block over and you've returned to the ghetto.
    It was more of a rhetorical question directed to Noon. She laid out every reason that anyone with the wherewithal to pull up stakes and any other prospects whatsoever to get the Hell out of Dodge (Or Detroit in this case), but in a way that seemed to make those who did so seem to be responsible for the result. My own POV is that once it's clear that things are going irretrievably bad for you, your side, and sanity, it's better to change the game rather than sticking around and waiting for life to turn into a re-enactment of Stalingrad or Bataan.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    16,649
    Quote Originally Posted by marv View Post
    Just asking...is there some reason why blacks can't rebuild a city like Detroit after the white flight?
    I was waiting for someone to finally say this. Just goes to show how the left really view blacks. In their own words they believe it takes whites to prop blacks up and the lap dog media lets this go by the wayside.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    16,649
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    There is no one cause. All the mentioned possible causes play a role. White flight plays a role in Detroit's problems. So does political corruption, especially that of Coleman Young and Kwame Kilpatrick, and various city council members over the years. The decline of the auto industry is also a factor-Detroit was for decades a one-industry city. Everything was centered around auto production. Same with Flint, too. Even smaller companies were making products for the big 3.
    And to what degree do you hold the unions responsible for the death of the auto industry in Detroit?
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    It was more of a rhetorical question directed to Noon. She laid out every reason that anyone with the wherewithal to pull up stakes and any other prospects whatsoever to get the Hell out of Dodge (Or Detroit in this case), but in a way that seemed to make those who did so seem to be responsible for the result. My own POV is that once it's clear that things are going irretrievably bad for you, your side, and sanity, it's better to change the game rather than sticking around and waiting for life to turn into a re-enactment of Stalingrad or Bataan.
    Ah, my apologies. Not to deviate further, but the white flight that Detroit experienced has been studied extensively and been well documented. I certainly wouldn't cast blame on the white's who fled Detroit for it's downfall, it was a more than reasonable move for most. However, the effect certainly exasperated the problems which Detroit suffered.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #20  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    And to what degree do you hold the unions responsible for the death of the auto industry in Detroit?
    That question is certainly misleading, not all subscribe to the notion that the unions were responsible for your assertion that the auto industry in Detroit is dead. Or that the auto industry in Detroit is dead for that matter.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •