1. #1 Oprah Winfrey’s mom blames bill on store for giving credit 
    Oprah Winfrey’s mom blames bill on store for giving credit
    MILWAUKEE - Oprah Winfrey’s mother says she shouldn’t have to pay a nearly $156,000 debt to a high-end fashion store because store officials shouldn’t have extended credit to her.

Valentina Inc. alleges that Vernita Lee of Milwaukee racked up $155,547 in purchases and interest as of July 1. The company sued, saying Lee fell behind in minimum monthly payments of $2,000.

Court records say Lee filed a counterclaim Friday contending that Valentina took advantage of her "lack of knowledge, ability, and-or capacity" when creating her credit account.
    snip

why do i have a feeling we are going to see a lot of this?

[youtube]9qAkEA-H_zE[/youtube]

Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    Oprah Winfrey’s mom blames bill on store for giving credit

snip

why do i have a feeling we are going to see a lot of this?
    Why not? If it makes sense for home buyers...

It's never their own fault with lefties. It's always someone elses.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Power CUer
    Oprah could certainly pay that bill easily enough. I wonder if she's had to cut Mummy off before; she sounds like a compulsive shopper.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Oprah could certainly pay that bill easily enough. I wonder if she's had to cut Mummy off before; she sounds like a compulsive shopper.
    According to a follow-up I just read, mom had a $175,000 bill with the same company back in 2002 that wound up in court. Part of the settlement was they were prohibited from extending credit to her again. Wouldn't that be a pisser; lose the 156K and have her win an additional adjustment?
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

Vernita Lee claims store violated agreement by offering credit

By BRIAN HUBER - GM Today Staff

October 1, 2008

Vernita Lee

WAUKESHA - Oprah Winfrey?s mother is fighting back against the store that sued her over an outstanding credit account, alleging in a counterclaim that the store violated a 2002 agreement by continuing to offer her credit.

Vernita Lee of Milwaukee was sued by Valentina Inc., which has stores in Brookfield and Mequon, after Lee allegedly racked up more than $155,500 in outstanding debts to the store. Despite the store?s repeated demands for payment, the debt remains unpaid, the store’s July lawsuit stated.

http://www.gmtoday.com/news/local_st...0012008_01.asp
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

See. It's not her fault that she did not pay her bill or that she failed to control herself. It's always someone elses fault when you deal with a leftie.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

noonwitch
    I have a friend who claims she once won a struggle with Oprah at a store in Chicago. It seemed that they both wanted the same dress, and there was only one left.

My friend is probably lying, but it would have been funny to witness, if it really did happen. She said it was sometime in the late 80s, when Pennington's du Canada had a store at Watertower Place. Pennington's was a high-end clothing store for large women-my mom bought me an outfit there once when I was in college in the 80s-a blouse that cost $85 (I have a photo of me wearing it while drinking directly from a keg), and a $140 wool, plaid skirt.

Goldwater
    Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    Why not? If it makes sense for home buyers...
    You sir, have been right a lot lately. ;)