Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Colorblind Ideology is a Form of Racism 
    link
    Star Member BainsBane (13,970 posts)

Colorblind Ideology is a Form of Racism
    Interesting article and it's worth reading the whole thing. I chose four paragraphs that get at the crux of the argument. It shows the idea that we can do away with racism by ignoring it is false.

What is racial colorblindness?

Racial issues are often uncomfortable to discuss and rife with stress and controversy. Many ideas have been advanced to address this sore spot in the American psyche. Currently, the most pervasive approach is known as colorblindness. Colorblindness is the racial ideology that posits the best way to end discrimination is by treating individuals as equally as possible, without regard to race, culture, or ethnicity.
    . . .

Racism? Strong words, yes, but let's look the issue straight in its partially unseeing eye. In a colorblind society, White people, who are unlikely to experience disadvantages due to race, can effectively ignore racism in American life, justify the current social order, and feel more comfortable with their relatively privileged standing in society (Fryberg, 2010). Most minorities, however, who regularly encounter difficulties due to race, experience colorblind ideologies quite differently. Colorblindness creates a society that denies their negative racial experiences, rejects their cultural heritage, and invalidates their unique perspectives.

Let's break it down into simple terms: Color-Blind = "People of color — we don't see you (at least not that bad ‘colored' part)." As a person of color, I like who I am, and I don't want any aspect of that to be unseen or invisible. The need for colorblindness implies there is something shameful about the way God made me and the culture I was born into that we shouldn't talk about. Thus, colorblindness has helped make race into a taboo topic that polite people cannot openly discuss. And if you can't talk about it, you can't understand it, much less fix the racial problems that plague our society. . . .

The alternative to colorblindness is multiculturalism, an ideology that acknowledges, highlights, and celebrates ethnoracial differences. It recognizes that each tradition has something valuable to offer. It is not afraid to see how others have suffered as a result of racial conflict or differences.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...is-form-racism
    So you are "racist" if you think people with a different skin color than yours-especially if it is darker-are different than you are or you treat them differently. And you are racist if you don't see differences in people who have different skin tones than you do and you treat them the same as everyone else.

It sounds to me like black and liberal white have an investment in calling conservatives "racist" and they want to justify calling them racist for ANY belief or behavior.
    Deep13 (37,782 posts)
    3. It serves to reinforce the status quo. nt
    nomorenomore08 (4,949 posts)
    5. Exactly. That is the entire problem with "color-blindness" in a nutshell.

If we don't acknowledge what's wrong with the world, how will we ever be able to do anything about it?
    In other words, whites are "racist" and if people are color blind
    and treat everyone with dignity and respect then we aren't acknowledging the racism because they just know that people are "racist" with all those "code words" and all.
    Star Member LostOne4Ever (763 posts)
    11. Colorblindness is a philosophy grounded in naive optimism for an America that does not exist

It (Color-blindness) is as fair to minorities as a healthy person having a foot race against a person with a broken leg. Color blindness only works if we were all working from a starting point of equality which the centuries of slavery and racism has prevented.

People who advocate color blindness are ignoring the systematic and pervasive amount of bigotry in our society that gives minorities far more hurdles to overcome. They are ignoring the poverty that racism has forced on many minorities. It is doctrine ground in ignoring the realities facing our country and pretending that the world is a perfect place where all people are treated fairly and justly.

It perfectly epitomizes the delusion and willful ignorance of the libertarian right
    In other words, "it's racist if you don't treat others differently based on the years of racism they have endured". That goes back to affirmative action and special privileges that are the cornerstone of the liberal platform.

Colorblind is one of those terms that some white people use to convince themselves that they are not racists. I don't think I'm a racist, but I also don't consider myself to be colorblind. I appreciate people for who they are, and if their skin color is a part of that, so be it.

Power CUer
    In other words, "it's racist if you don't treat others differently based on the years of racism they have endured". That goes back to affirmative action and special privileges that are the cornerstone of the liberal platform.
    The idea here is that "racism" is a permanent condition. It never ends. There's no getting past it, there's no acknowledgement of successes, there's no way to say that justice has been done. EVER.

In other words, blacks are to be permanent victims, who spend their lives focused on resentment, trying to get whites to "listen to them" but really, when it's all said and done, have nothing constructive to offer. It's like a wife who spends all her time telling her husband what a rat bastard he is and playing on his sense of guilt, while she has to take no responsibility for the quality of the marriage. She ends up controlling him by making him feel that he is always and eternally in the wrong. Then she is so shocked and hurt when, after years of this abuse, her husband finds someone else who thinks he is a decent guy and runs off with the woman.

Blacks want to be the perennially suffering wife, controlling white people with guilt, tearfully accusing them of "not listening" or "not wanting to have a conversation on race", even though both blacks and whites know that the "conversation" will only be a litany of accusations and demands. Blacks don't want to take any responsibility for the wrongs they do, blaming everything--from criminal behavior to academic failure--on the "rat bastard" whites. This eternal victimization allows blacks to feel justified in criticizing whites while doing nothing to help themselves. They get to be that weepy wife, who secretly wants control of the bank accounts and wants her name on everything the husband owns. The more she guilts him, the more he forks over to be able to live in his own house.

Sadly, none of this abusive and guilt-inducing "conversation on race" will help the inner city blacks who are so over-represented among the poor and prison populations, and who commit so much of the violent crime. None of this will stop a 13-year old from joining a gang, a groups of teens from beating up a man for a cell phone, or a grown man shooting and killing some Chinese exchange students for theirs. None of this will help these teens achieve academically or gain some kind of usable skill to make money.

So who benefits from the "conversation on race"?

It's the black middle class, who makes as much money as (or more than) their white counterparts, but still feel insecure and guilty in themselves. The insecurity comes from having accepted the values of the dominant (white) culture and having done well because of them. At some level, they feel they have betrayed themselves or their people; and perhaps some of this sense of betrayal is "survivor's guilt" as they decide on stock options while their brothers in the hood are dying before 25. And here is where the REAL guilt is. Instead of going back to the hood to help their fellow blacks, the black middle class has escaped them just as the whites have for safer communities and better schools. If you're Toure or Melissa Harris-Perry, do you really want to live in South Central LA, Detroit, Harlem, the South Side of Chicago? Anacostia? Of course not. But there is a deep sense of guilt in leaving behind your own, even if you've never met them, even if you had a privileged upbringing. So what do you do?

It's like the married couple who would be happy except for the wife's alcoholic brother. Every time the brother comes over, he's angry and resentful at what his sister has, and he works on her guilt, trying to get her to give him money or take him in. The husband, on the other hand, knows the brother is a loser and that any money will go to boozing and carousing. The wife, in guilt, yells at her husband, telling him that HE is the problem, that maybe her brother would feel better about himself if the husband weren't so blatantly successful. She tells her husband that maybe they do owe her brother something, since they've been so lucky and he's been so unfortunate. If the husband tries to point out that the brother started drinking on his own and that the brother will have to stop it on his own before any money changes hands, the wife gets furious and tells her husband it's all his fault. If it weren't for men like him, her brother wouldn't have to resort to drinking.

That's the interplay between black middle class and white middle class. The guilt of the black middle class gets transferred to the white middle class ("It's all your fault!") by guilty blacks in high positions (and race hucksters, who have their own gain in mind). But never does the inner city "brother" ever have to change his ways. It's just a matter of how guilty he can make everyone feel and how much that guilt can be transferred to people of means.

Who would want and end to "racism" when the manipulation works so well?

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Colorblind is one of those terms that some white people use to convince themselves that they are not racists.
    Well that pretty much leaves no hope, doesn't it. If an employer judges a person by the amount of work they put in and their success at the job, that is a colorblind measure. You are saying that this is intrinsically racist?

I don't think I'm a racist, but I also don't consider myself to be colorblind. I appreciate people for who they are, and if their skin color is a part of that, so be it.
    How does play out in your day to day dealings with people?

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Well that pretty much leaves no hope, doesn't it. If an employer judges a person by the amount of work they put in and their success at the job, that is a colorblind measure. You are saying that this is intrinsically racist?

How does play out in your day to day dealings with people?
    Pretty well.

My point is that calling oneself colorblind does not necessarily mean that that person is not racist. It's not racist to be colorblind, but if you have to tell everyone that you are colorblind, you probably are not.

Colorblind is one of those terms that some white people use to convince themselves that they are not racists. I don't think I'm a racist, but I also don't consider myself to be colorblind. I appreciate people for who they are, and if their skin color is a part of that, so be it.
    That's a bunch of Liberal BS and you know it. It's a white guilt cop out.

Color blind = seeing the person before you notice the skin color.

You're right though on the fact that you're not color blind. You're a typical Liberal. EVERYTHING in your life is viewed through the prism of a person's skin color gender or sexual orientation. You never look at the person until you've checked off the appropriate Liberal victim's list boxes for them.

I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. ~ Dr. Martin Luther King
    Dr. King had a dream of a world where people were color blind too. Guess he's just a racist in denial huh?

Idiot.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

It's not racist to be colorblind,
    And yet you just said it was.

but if you have to tell everyone that you are colorblind, you probably are not.

Really? Is that kinda like when people say:

I don't think I'm a racist
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

...if you have to tell everyone that you are colorblind, you probably are not.
    Reminds me of an old saying, "If you have to walk around carrying a sign saying who you are, you probably aren't."

Beyond that, discrimination based on skin color exists within the black community. Black skin color is variously described from "high yellow" to "dark mahogany". The inclination is to marry someone with a lighter skin color. Discrimination knows no race.

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    The DUmmies love Racism. I think they would be like little lost lambs without it.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Power CUer
    Pretty well.

My point is that calling oneself colorblind does not necessarily mean that that person is not racist. It's not racist to be colorblind, but if you have to tell everyone that you are colorblind, you probably are not.
    I think I get it.