Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 American Men Almost 6x More Likely Than Women to Be Killed by Lightning 
    Do guys just like standing in thunderstorms?

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/amer...lled-lightning

Lightning strikes in the United States are almost six times more likely to kill a man than a woman, according to recently released data from the federal Centers for Disease Control.

The CDC did not explain why males are so much more likely than females to be killed by lightning.

The CDC looked at deaths by lightning in the 43 years from 1968 through 2010. It found that during that period the annual number of Americans killed by lightning was on a downward trend, with the annual number of men being killed declining 78.6 percent and the annual number of women being killed declining 70.6 percent...

Maybe the lightning is attracted to objects were there is electrical activity.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Maybe the lightning is attracted to objects were there is electrical activity.
    Are you saying you're a live wire?

Power CUer
    The phrase "too dumb to come in out of the rain" comes to mind.
    Really, though, a lot of the men are likely golfers who just want to try to finish this round....
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Really, though, a lot of the men are likely golfers who just want to try to finish this round....
    Watched Caddyshack lately?
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Golf was my first guess.

We had a hard-as-nails major when I was a lieutenant who was struck by lightning during an FTX. My first thought was that the lightning didn't have a chance. That major retired as a one-star. The lightning fizzled out.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    We had a hard-as-nails major when I was a lieutenant who was struck by lightning during an FTX. My first thought was that the lightning didn't have a chance. That major retired as a one-star. The lightning fizzled out.
    I saw a video of a guy who got struck twice withing a few minutes, and still managed to get up and walk away. I'll have to dig around and see if I can find it.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I saw a video of a guy who got struck twice withing a few minutes, and still managed to get up and walk away. I'll have to dig around and see if I can find it.
    If you're referring to the rather infamous one that made the web a few years ago:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjI8AxZnrx8 It was consider a hoax after being investigated by many people.

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Golf was my first guess.
    Yeah, that and fishing! Golf clubs and fishing poles = Lightning rods!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.