Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Artois View Post
    I honestly think it may be relevant. Burger flippers already earn more than 15 dollars an hour in many areas. It is sustainable.

As ardently supportive at times I may be with libertarian or free market principals, a living wage is one area where I'm bitterly in dispute. While I've read the arguments against it by the fascinating Mises or Reason, I've yet to be convinced that society isn't subsidizing the businesses of those whom do not provide a living wage. This isn't even broaching an additional concern I have, albeit not economical, merely moral or philosophical - regarding the dignity of work.
    You are no libertarian or are you for free market principles if you are for a "living wage". Question: who gets to set this number? Cost of living in NYC is more than Lincoln, NE, does that mean someone living in NYC and working at Dunkin Donuts in Lincoln should make different amounts per hour? But the real deal is, want to increase the hourly rate? Get rid of the minimum wage. Today, and this more than likely goes for a majority of those slugs protesting, people simply want to show up and get paid. Ever tell someone to do something? The exasperated sighs boggle my mind. If someone is a slug then they get paid a slugs wages. If someone busts their ass, believe me, it gets recognized and those people are paid accordingly. Also, and this is the problem with a union shop. Doesn't matter how hard you work, you'll get paid as equally as the slug. Can't have it both way guy.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Sigh,

I really hate to break it to you, but there are already McDonald's here in the states which pay in excess of $15.00 an hour. There's been numerous news stories about the McDonald's in North Dakota offering sign-on bonuses, and upwards of $18 or so an hour in wages. I think a Burger King was in the news awhile back offering over $20 an hour for managers, with something like a $5000 sign-on bonus. There's a slight increase in prices, but not too significant, extra two dollars or so for a value meal.

Hell, the last time I was overseas I saw a McDonald's which was offering $19 an hour and the value meals were only a few dollars higher than typical USA prices.
    Do you even know why you idiot? Because of the oil drilling that had been a boon to the area, oil and fracking workers are making $100K a year meaning those areas now have people with money to spend. My frigging God I wish people would actually research WHY things are the way they are before running off at the mouth. Tell me oh genius, how would paying $15 an hour work in a place like, say, Gadsden, AL where the median income is $33K? Or better yet, open a business and pay your employees $15 per hour and let me know how you make out.

I feel quite fine.

Honestly, wages have never been a significant concern for me. I've been very blessed.
    Then you're a typical liberal. Always generous with other people's money.

My first full time radio job was paying me $3.25 an hour when I started and they bumped it to $3.40 when I became "full time".

I was married, had an apartment, two cars and was rasing my infant son. My bills were paid on time.

What the hell are these people bitching about?
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Originally Posted by Artois
    I feel quite fine.

Honestly, wages have never been a significant concern for me. I've been very blessed.
    Of course your wages have never been a problem for you...because you've always been the employee and never the employer.

Try running a business and see how "blessed" you feel when you're faced with a situation like this.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I think that people who stand on their feet on greasy tile floors, spend eight hours in a hot and nasty kitchen, and put up with a particularly common group of obnoxious customers work hard.
    They do work hard. A lot of people work hard.

If you'd like, please post your address. I'll happily purchase and mail you a dictionary. It seems you're regularly struggling a bit with words.

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Why not? Now even though many micky D's all over the country pay more, a job at McD's or Wendys is not a career. It's a stepping stone to something better. And if I was a manager/owner of 1 of these places, I wouldn't be thinking too highly of a staff member in say their 30's that considered working the frier a "career". Some one in this situation is making a choice to work for me. As an owner/operator, it's not my job to be worrying about your career. I have my career to worry about. I want you to do your job at the agreed on wage. Oh, and no one forced
    you to sign on, that was your choice.

If I was running one of those stores described in this article I'd fire those assholes
    and give the job(s) to some one that wants them. You want 20-30 bucs an hour? Get
    a skill that is worth that money. Flipping burgers and working the frier...7.50 to 10.00 sounds about right.
    I'm inclined to agree. It certainly shouldn't be considered a career, and more of a stepping stone. However when a non-career/stepping-stone job often requires unlimited availability and skirts the edge of full time working hours, that really begs the issue of how useful of a stepping stone it could be. Granted, that's not always the case. This isn't even broaching the issue I have with the dignity of work, although that's certainly more of a philosophical or religious view of mine than economical.

I think we also have to consider the notion of where these outcries started from. We all understand that wages range differently around the country, it's not unrealistic that in NYC or other places $15 an hour is equivalent to about $10 an hour elsewhere. For what it's worth though, I've seen Macca's offering $11-12 an hour for openers and closers in none major cities before.

They're not asking for twenty to thirty dollars an hour. Although one could argue that with payroll taxes, the former is approaching that.

Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    Typical Lib, spend money and hope whatever will go away! You said you were tired and was going to bed, get tucked in tight and have a dream of your sort of a God hero.
    I've no desire for you to go away, we likely have too much in common. More of a matter of having some compassion for helping you through your apparent struggles.

I've no desire for you to go away, we likely have too much in common. More of a matter of having some compassion for helping you through your apparent struggles.
    Arrogant little n00b aren't you?