Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 The trial of a nearly half-ton woman facing a murder charge 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    800-pound Texas murder defendant may be too big for court

— The trial of a nearly half-ton woman facing a murder charge in the death of her 2-year-old nephew will have to be held in a building separate from the courthouse because of the defendant's weight, her lawyer said.

The defense attorney's claim Monday is the latest challenge facing South Texas authorities in pursuing charges against Mayra Rosales, who suffers from a thyroid disease.

Rosales, whose weight has been estimated between 800 pounds and 1,000 pounds, was arrested and charged at home because the Hidalgo County sheriff's department did not have a large enough cell or a way to transport her to jail. After she was indicted for capital murder, a state district judge allowed her to skip arraignment and another court appearance because of the difficulty of getting her to the courthouse.

Her lawyer, Sergio Valdez, said at a hearing Monday that Rosales could die before trial because the government cut off medical care, believing she's in custody instead of under house arrest.

"Medicaid, disability, nursing — all that was canceled by the Department of Human Services because they contend that she's under arrest," Valdez said, according to a story Tuesday on the San Antonio Express-News Web site.

Rosales faces a capital murder charge in the March death of her nephew, Eliseo Gonzalez Jr., who prosecutors say was hit twice in the head while being watched by his aunt.
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...o/6031466.html

I remember the original stories about this. She claimed to have accidentally fallen on the child but the autopsy proved that force had been used.

It will be interesting to see how this proceeds. There are more and more people in the super-obese category and not every one of them is a law-abiding model citizen. Our courts, jails, and prisons will have to come to terms with this.

Interesting sidenote: Mayra is Spanish for Shannon.
    Be Not Afraid.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Another interesting sidenote: JB is going to HELL.

Oh yeah, how does it feel to be in 6th place, loser?!
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Interesting sidenote: Mayra is Spanish for Shannon.
    You just had to take that shot didn't you ?

I had to stand in for you while you were gone.

Biccat called you fat. :)

*neener, neener, neener - biccat is going down!*

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Another interesting sidenote: JB is going to HELL.

Oh yeah, how does it feel to be in 6th place, loser?!
    That was payback for a certain post in a different thread.

Get it straight...I'm in fifth place and I closed the gap on the leader from last week. Enjoy your time out front. It won't last.

And your girlfriend better not enter this thread for a pile on either.

/end threadjack
    Be Not Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I remember the original stories about this. She claimed to have accidentally fallen on the child but the autopsy proved that force had been used.

It will be interesting to see how this proceeds. There are more and more people in the super-obese category and not every one of them is a law-abiding model citizen. Our courts, jails, and prisons will have to come to terms with this.
    It should be cheaper to build an Roman style outdoors court and arena with an removable roof and underground cages .Just have ramps for forklift trucks for the really heavy ones and the caged in arena area for the lions and the rest of the animals used in the punishment phase !

I am concerned that she may try to skip town and live a life on the run being hid by the criminal underground.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    I am concerned that she may try to skip town and live a life on the run being hid by the criminal underground.
    She ,at that weight, couldn't 'skip town' in a dump truck !