Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    That's all great lore, but now apply what you know to it.

Light skinned black parents often have kids along the spectrum. Our neighbors in DC had one kid with light skin, slight negroid features and a blonde soft curl hair. The other kid, the girl, was very dark and had black typically negroid hair and features. Are you telling me that a black church would have admitted only the parents and the fair child? I don't think so.

This whole paper bag test thing may well have happened, and it certainly became part of the narrative or lore. But like the "No Irish" signs, it became "common knowledge" based on repetition not duplication.

Seattle is being ridiculous, but the brown paper bag thing probably has some truth to it. It was a long time ago, as I pointed out.

The church thing was something some woman told me. I'm not sure how true that was, but I thought it was funny.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Seattle is being ridiculous, but the brown paper bag thing probably has some truth to it. It was a long time ago, as I pointed out.

The church thing was something some woman told me. I'm not sure how true that was, but I thought it was funny.
    The only context I ever heard for the paper bag test was nightclubs in New Orleans. The only place I have ever heard dark skinned blacks complain about discrimination by light skinned blacks was after Katrina, in New Orleans.