Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post

But there are many great announcers for other teams. I remember getting Tigers broadcasts late at night on my little transistor radio and listening to the late, great Ernie Harwell. On TV, in the old days of cable TV, watching the Yankees on channel 11 with Bill White, Bobby Murcer, and the late, great Phil Razzuto or on channel 9 with Ralph Kiner doing the Mets games.
    Ernie Harwell was the best-I met him once on autograph day. He always had time for fans, especially kids. His voice was the voice of the Tigers. We still miss him in Detroit.

I can't stand to listen to sports on the radio, and will only listen to hockey games when driving. I need the visual, especially in hockey.

Hate to break this to you old boy but Bobby Thompson was a Giant, not a Dodger and it was the Giants who beat the Dodgers on that fateful day. That said, growing up in the Philadelphia area I was fortunate to be privy to great, hall of fame announcers. For the Phillies, Harry Kalas and Richie Asburn took me from my childhood and into my 30's then after Richie died, Harry the K kept going until the beginning of 2009 when he passed away where it was apropos, in the broadcast booth. Listening to him call the final out in the 2008 World Series capped off a great broadcasting career(he was cheated out of calling the winning strike out in 1980 because back then only network announcers were used. After much protest by Phillies fans, this was changed). Today, the current Phils broadcast team, at least on tv, is an insult to Harry and Richie. They are just flat out terrible blathering on and on about nonsense instead of calling the game. Here is a montage of Harry calls. I still get choked up listening to him:

But there are many great announcers for other teams. I remember getting Tigers broadcasts late at night on my little transistor radio and listening to the late, great Ernie Harwell. On TV, in the old days of cable TV, watching the Yankees on channel 11 with Bill White, Bobby Murcer, and the late, great Phil Razzuto or on channel 9 with Ralph Kiner doing the Mets games.

This brings me to another Philadelphia legend. The immortal Gene Hart. My first sports love was hockey. And with hockey, we had Gene Hart and Don Earl. Hart told a story while calling the game. The man was knowledgeable and a down right homer but that's OK. I still get chills listening to his call when the Flyers won the Cup:

Football and basketball don't have the same charm. But those old announcers were an institution. Vin Skully is probably the last of a dying breed. Nowadays sports announcers try to be witty with funny little catch phrases or nicknames instead of calling a game. Most time I watch games with the sound down. I really wish there was a "no commentary" option when watching sports games.

Ya I can't stand watching a game on national TV, I'd much rather listen to "homer" type announcers, Gene hart is gone (best hockey announcer ever) Merrill Reese is the last of a dying breed. I miss Ashburn and Kalas, they knew you didn't have to talk to fill the silent moments.
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    Ya I can't stand watching a game on national TV, I'd much rather listen to "homer" type announcers, Gene hart is gone (best hockey announcer ever) Merrill Reese is the last of a dying breed. I miss Ashburn and Kalas, they knew you didn't have to talk to fill the silent moments.
    Wheeler and McCarthy along with Matthews are mindnumbingly terrible. Gary Matthews is about as inane as one can get. He's the living embodiment of Capt. Obvious. McCarthy doesn't even know about the game he's broadcasting and Wheeler just blathers on and on about inane subjects while the game is going on. The game is going on and these idiots are blathering about their hotel or golf game. Ugh. I really wish the experiment NBC did in 1982 showing an NFL game with no announcers had caught on. Hell, I'd pay per view for the privilege. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/n...ory?id=5906858
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Ernie Harwell was the best-I met him once on autograph day. He always had time for fans, especially kids. His voice was the voice of the Tigers. We still miss him in Detroit.

The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Wheeler and McCarthy along with Matthews are mindnumbingly terrible. Gary Matthews is about as inane as one can get. He's the living embodiment of Capt. Obvious. McCarthy doesn't even know about the game he's broadcasting and Wheeler just blathers on and on about inane subjects while the game is going on. The game is going on and these idiots are blathering about their hotel or golf game. Ugh. I really wish the experiment NBC did in 1982 showing an NFL game with no announcers had caught on. Hell, I'd pay per view for the privilege. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/n...ory?id=5906858
    God I wish Wheels would choke on a bag of dicks, he is so bad I can't put my feelings into words. Sorry I just can't get into a game unless the announcer is for my team :D
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    I love baseball on the radio. Have driven many co-worker nuts when they stop by my cube or office while I'm listening to the Cubs. And they aren't my favorite team, just love listening to the cadence of a radio broadcast.

Football is outstanding in front of a big screen TV. Going to the games, bleh! People and especially the media bitch about how long baseball games take. Ever sit at an NFL or College football game and wait during the commercial timeouts? Absolutely excruciating.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Radio. Hands down. I like getting other things done while I listen to the game. When I'm watching on TV, I just sit in the recliner and eat for 3 hours. While enjoyable, I try not to make that a habit.
    2011 CU Fantasy Baseball Champion

Hello jendf! Haven't seen you in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    Hello jendf! Haven't seen you in awhile.
    Howdy!
    2011 CU Fantasy Baseball Champion

OK, since you asked ...

How do I listen to sports broadcasts?

Usually from another room wearing earplugs!

With the exception of Indy 500 races, and the Kentucky Derby stuff ... am not a sports fan.
    American By Choice ~ 1980