Twelve players have reportedly accepted 50-game suspensions for violating Major League Baseball’s drug policy.
Rangers outfielder Nelson Cruz, Tigers shortstop Jhonny Peralta, Phillies reliever Antonio Bastardo, Mets outfielder Jordany Valdespin, Padres shortstop Everth Cabrera, free-agent pitcher Jordan Norberto, Yankees catcher Francisco Cervelli, Mariners catcher Jesus Montero, Mets outfielder Cesar Puello, Astros pitcher Sergio Escalona, Padres pitcher Fautino De Los Santos and Yankees outfielder Fernando Martinez have accepted their punishments handed out by Major League Baseball, FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports, citing unidentified sources close to the matter.
Athletics pitcher Bartolo Colon, Blue Jays outfielder Melky Cabrera and Padres catcher Yasmani Grandal received no additional punishments. They each have served 50-game suspensions following a positive test.
Nationals pitcher Gio Gonzalez and Orioles infielder Danny Valencia have been cleared of any wrongdoing.
An announcement is still expected for a potential suspension for Alex Rodriguez, who is is still expected to play third base for the New York Yankees Monday night as the Bronx Bombers open up a series against the White Sox in Chicago. Hours before first pitch, however, Major League Baseball officials are expected to announce that Rodriguez will be banned for at least the remainder of the 2013 season and possibly all of the 2014 season as a result of MLB's investigation into a Miami clinic accused of distributing banned performance-enhancing drugs to baseball players.
Earlier this week, MLB Commissioner Bud Selig was weighing whether to suspend the Yankees third baseman under the little-used "best interest of baseball" clause, but that now seems unlikely to happen.
A person familiar with the decision to suspend Rodriguez told The Associated Press that the Yankees weren't told the exact length of the suspension, though they were under the impression it will be through the 2014 season, the person said.