1. #1 Gulf spill lawyer: 'BP treats US as a colony' 
    Power CUer
    From the Telegraph:

Gulf spill lawyer: 'BP treats US as a colony'

The lawyer who represented more than 100,000 people in a settlement with BP over the 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil spillage has accused the company of viewing the US as a colony it can exploit.

....As BP’s costs related to the disaster have spiralled, it has changed stance over how it deals with claims, contesting how payouts are settled and claiming that many were “fictitious”. Last month, chief executive Bob Dudley promised the company was “digging in” on the “absurd outcomes” of the legal battles.

Mr Rice - who sits on a representative committee that negotiated a settlement with BP in March - claimed that BP’s fighting talk is a grave error and amounted to an attack on victims of the disaster.

“In our view, BP views us as a colony that they own and can exploit, it’s outrageous,” he told the Reuters news agency. “I think they’ve made a vast strategic error by fighting and shifting this whole battle to an attack on the people of the Gulf. Any goodwill they built on trying to do the right thing, they have destroyed.”

He compared BP’s position to a British attack on US-held New Orleans in 1814 during the 1812-1815 war between the two nations. “We’re going back to the 1814 attack,” he said....

.... The war of words comes as BP continues to battle claims related to the disaster, which it recently said has cost it $42.4bn (£27.3bn) to date. In the most recent fightback, it asked a US judge to prevent investors from launching a collective lawsuit against the company.

The investors allege that BP lied in order to cover up the estimated cost of the disaster in order to stem falls in its share price. BP, which denies the claims, said: "Plaintiffs must demonstrate that the alleged misrepresentations were publicly known."

Meanwhile, BP is suing the US environment agency over a blanket ban on winning new work for the US government.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Although it can't be doubted that BP is responsible for the spill I can
    understand why they might be taking a harder stance.

I've been hearing (and I'm sure BP has also) radio & TV commercials for law firms
    that are basically trying to get people with ANYpossible type of claim,
    real or imagined, to get in touch with them.

Morgan & Morgan, For the Peoples!!! (And their balance sheet.)

M & M is a law firm down here that supports oBAMA.
    May the FORCE be with you!

I personally know employees involved in the settlement activities. They will gladly pay any reasonable, supportable claim. What they are seeing come in the door are claims for "lost fishing income" from folks who couldn't bait a hook with three hands and wouldn't know which end of a net to put in the water; claims from "restauranteurs" who never cooked an egg or served a meal, etc., etc., etc. Those claims are BS and the claimants and their lieyers should be prosecuted.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

They shattered my dreams um err goals, I was going to go to the gulf and club baby shrimp but the oil spill made that impossible so I had to stay in Oklahoma in near poverty conditions, I want my hunert thosan dollars now dammit!
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    May the FORCE be with you!