1. #1 Oil and gas jobs have grown 40 percent since 2007 
    The oil and natural gas industry created more than 162,000 jobs from 2007 to 2012 in drilling, extraction and support services, according to a report by the Labor Departmentís Bureau of Labor Statistics released Friday.

<snip>

Texas now produces more than 74 million barrels of crude a month, about a third of all US production.

Just imagine what it would be like if the gubmint just got the h*** out of the way.

Story
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol
    When I judge someone's integrity one key thing I look at is - How does s/he treat people s/he doesn't agree with or does not like?
    I can respect someone who I do not agree with, but I have NO respect for someone who puts others down in a public forum. That is the hallmark of someone who has no integrity, and cannot be trusted.

As salaries for oil workers in the United States are climbing rapidly, companies with overseas operations are ponying up bigger bucks to attract top talent. A report from recruiting firm Hays found several countries are offering workers more than the average $121,400 they make in the United States.

Further, imported workers often stand to make much more than locals, since they command danger and hardship allowances on top of their base salaries, according to Hays. For instance, Russiaís arctic exploration and Chinaís emerging shale efforts are demanding skills and experience that draw premium pay.
    Fuel Fix
    When I judge someone's integrity one key thing I look at is - How does s/he treat people s/he doesn't agree with or does not like?
    I can respect someone who I do not agree with, but I have NO respect for someone who puts others down in a public forum. That is the hallmark of someone who has no integrity, and cannot be trusted.

3. #3 Degrees popular with Texas grads aren't most profitable 
    take a look at the list of the most profitable bachelor's degrees in Texas.

No. 1 probably won't come as a surprise. It's petroleum engineering, and the 315 college graduates in 2011 earned an average annual starting salary of $84,298, according to the list from the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.

No. 2 is marine transportation. The 36 graduates in 2011 launched their careers with an average annual salary of $70,454. Even No. 20 on the list ó civil engineering ó paid its 734 graduates an average of $47,256.

More