Thread: A New Low For Tea Bagger Bigots: Public Shaming Of The Disabled

1. #1 A New Low For Tea Bagger Bigots: Public Shaming Of The Disabled 
    http://www.democraticunderground.com/10023444714

Of course, it's taken from a hyper blog which takes a local group's silliness and attributes it to a "hate group". The signature on the "hate group's" note doesn't sound like a Tea Party person (Artemis of the wildland)?

There seems to be a counter post, but it is sinking fast:
    http://www.democraticunderground.com/10023445259

Fabulous Poster
    I suspect that you can pin a lot of this on how we do healthcare in this country. People who are on disability are eligible for medicare and sometimes medicaid as well. If they go back to work in a noncovered job, they lose healthcare. So it's a catch-22. I'm not saying this is true of everyone or that there aren't people scamming the system. I am saying that there are legitimate reasons why some people who could be Walmart greeters or Aldi cashiers aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I am saying that there are legitimate reasons why some people who could be Walmart greeters or Aldi cashiers aren't.
    You flunked the test and didn't make the cut did you?

"Welcome to Walmart, It's fabulous!"
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    You flunked the test and didn't make the cut did you?

"Welcome to Walmart, It's fabulous!"
    Gay men work at Target, not Walmart. You hadn't noticed?

There are a lot of people who are rightly on disability for mental reasons, who appear fine and who can even function normally in stressless social situations but just can't hack it in the real world, in fact I think one of my kids is ultimately going to have to go that route. Unfortunately there are also a load of scamming POS's that pose as one of these to milk the system for benefits. Issues like this wouldn't exist but for the fact there really are a lot of scamming POS's.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    There are a lot of people who are rightly on disability for mental reasons, who appear fine and who can even function normally in stressless social situations but just can't hack it in the real world, in fact I think one of my kids is ultimately going to have to go that route. Unfortunately there are also a load of scamming POS's that pose as one of these to milk the system for benefits. Issues like this wouldn't exist but for the fact there really are a lot of scamming POS's.
    I wonder how many people are on disability because they haven't gotten adequate healthcare along the way.

I also think that employers being unwilling to accommodate physical limitations leads to people going out on disability. There was a woman who worked at Publix grocery store near me who couldn't stand up for 8 hours. There is no reason that I know of why a cashier at Publix has to stand the entire time he is at work. One of the things I admire about Aldi is that they design their check out so that the cashier can sit. Anyway, I know that Publix didn't like providing this woman with a chair or allowing her to sit while working. I haven't seen her in a long time and I suspect she went out on disability. When the workplace is hostile or simply unreasonable, disability is probably preferable to taking a chance on not finding any work at all.

Of course there is the reverse scenario. That's a workplace like Capital One where everyone does nothing but sit. I think the 1500 employees there collectively gain 15000 pounds a year between inactivity and the damned "food day" thing. They are always feeding people there. They have covered dish lunch buffets than run 12 hours and various departments distribute baked goods, sandwiches, candy bars, etc... during the work week.

One of my now-deceased uncles had cerebral palsy, was partially deaf and was "a little slow". He graduated from high school, went to a state school for the disabled for about a year, then got a job at Metro airport as a luggage handler. After he worked there for a few years (long enough to get discounted tickets and take Grandma to England for a vacation), he got in a Ford, where he worked first as a groundskeeper and later in packaging. He worked there until he got cancer and died.

My grandparents helped him out financially at times because he wasn't good with money, but he never received SSI and he was definitely eligible.

Unfortunately, the school program he went to is no longer in existence. It was called Sturke and it was in Plainwell, near Kalamazoo-I thinked it closed in the Engler years, if not before that. They got him the job at Metro, which is what got him started.

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Boy this looks failure. Kinda like the fake Ohio Tea Party fliers.

http://weaselzippers.us/2012/11/06/o...e-white-house/

Or fake TEA Party groups.
    http://www.11alive.com/rss/article/2...s-racist-flyer

Even fake TEA Literature.
    http://nassautea.wordpress.com/2010/...ure-in-albany/
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I wonder how many people are on disability because they haven't gotten adequate healthcare along the way.

I also think that employers being unwilling to accommodate physical limitations leads to people going out on disability. There was a woman who worked at Publix grocery store near me who couldn't stand up for 8 hours. There is no reason that I know of why a cashier at Publix has to stand the entire time he is at work. One of the things I admire about Aldi is that they design their check out so that the cashier can sit. Anyway, I know that Publix didn't like providing this woman with a chair or allowing her to sit while working. I haven't seen her in a long time and I suspect she went out on disability. When the workplace is hostile or simply unreasonable, disability is probably preferable to taking a chance on not finding any work at all.

Of course there is the reverse scenario. That's a workplace like Capital One where everyone does nothing but sit. I think the 1500 employees there collectively gain 15000 pounds a year between inactivity and the damned "food day" thing. They are always feeding people there. They have covered dish lunch buffets than run 12 hours and various departments distribute baked goods, sandwiches, candy bars, etc... during the work week.
    I think Aldi is a German company. I know people that have worked for Aldi and the working conditions are crazy. Often the cashier is the only employee on duty and they are expected to do everything and have it all done by the time the store closes for the day. In fact, the cashiers are bringing out stock and told not to worry about the customers in line until there are three or more in line to check out. They also tell the cashiers that when a customer is unloading their cart, they have time to get something else done!

The one thing that helped the Aldi cashiers was when they installed UPC scanners, before that the cashiers had to memorize all the prices of the merchandise and hard key it in. Aldi was one of the last chains to install scanners.