Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 October Wednesday! 
    Yay! I like October and today we begin the countdown to Halloween. During this month, I'll be posting some threads with movie and book ideas to get you in the Halloween spirit. Meanwhile, let's talk about music.

There was a thread yesterday which got me thinking about the lifespan of popular music today. Things have really changed. In 1900, all music was live music and both making and enjoying music was pretty much a community event. While some styles of music were dictated by region or class, most music was simultaneously enjoyed by people of all ages and most conditions. By the 1920s, music had begun to split up along age, class, and "lifestyle" lines. This situation progressed throughout the century until the advent of new platforms and marketing techniques more or less shattered the music industry.

Today, 5 people can be living in a house and not one of them will be listening to the same music as anyone else. They may never even hear it out loud. New music is driven by networking sites and file sharing sites - not by performances or radio play. Lifestyle factors have become hugely important so that your taste in music (if you are under 30) doesn't say much about your musical education but it can say everything about the image you want to present to others. There is so much music and it's so accessible that a lot of people retreat into a musical niche to avoid the noise.

TOTD: Given all of the above, what enduring popular music of the 20th century will be still be familiar to people in 2050? I'm not talking about what was influential on future musicians or what deserves to be heard but only what tunes you think will still have some cultural currency for the average person. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Yay! I like October and today we begin the countdown to Halloween. During this month, I'll be posting some threads with movie and book ideas to get you in the Halloween spirit. Meanwhile, let's talk about music.

There was a thread yesterday which got me thinking about the lifespan of popular music today. Things have really changed. In 1900, all music was live music and both making and enjoying music was pretty much a community event. While some styles of music were dictated by region or class, most music was simultaneously enjoyed by people of all ages and most conditions. By the 1920s, music had begun to split up along age, class, and "lifestyle" lines. This situation progressed throughout the century until the advent of new platforms and marketing techniques more or less shattered the music industry.

Today, 5 people can be living in a house and not one of them will be listening to the same music as anyone else. They may never even hear it out loud. New music is driven by networking sites and file sharing sites - not by performances or radio play. Lifestyle factors have become hugely important so that your taste in music (if you are under 30) doesn't say much about your musical education but it can say everything about the image you want to present to others. There is so much music and it's so accessible that a lot of people retreat into a musical niche to avoid the noise.

TOTD: Given all of the above, what enduring popular music of the 20th century will be still be familiar to people in 2050? I'm not talking about what was influential on future musicians or what deserves to be heard but only what tunes you think will still have some cultural currency for the average person. :)
    For a moment I thought CW had hijacked your day thread, Ginger....seriously...:D

TOTD: Hopefully NOT rap music. For me, I think rock music will always be popular, however, looking at what is popular in the rock genre RIGHT NOW, I dunno. Most of this retro rock stuff just doesn't do much for me...and if I see another Beatles-esque ripoff band...please...get your own damn ideas. I say, let's go back to 80's glam-metal rock, ala Poison and the Crue!
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

BTW, GS, I love the "let's get everyone in the Halloween spirit" idea....I was already thinking along the same lines for my Thursday thread...shall we collab on this? :D
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

Quote Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
    BTW, GS, I love the "let's get everyone in the Halloween spirit" idea....I was already thinking along the same lines for my Thursday thread...shall we collab on this? :D
    Sounds like a plan. I had the idea of posting a dedicated thread each week of October with suggestions for movies and books that revolved around a common theme for that week. How about I do movies and you do books? People could also post their suggestions in keeping with the weekly theme. If you're game, let's talk about the structure and stuff in PM so we don't bore everybody with the planning. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Sounds like a plan. I had the idea of posting a dedicated thread each week of October with suggestions for movies and books that revolved around a common theme for that week. How about I do movies and you do books? People could also post their suggestions in keeping with the weekly theme. If you're game, let's talk about the structure and stuff in PM so we don't bore everybody with the planning. ;)
    Done.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    I took all of my Halloween stuff out last night. You know what Halloween means? Christmas is coming!!!:D

TOTD: I don't know. I'm a Beatles fanatic and can't stand your take on them.:(
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

People will still be buying Dark Side of the Moon in 2050.

I, however, do not own the album. :D
    Be Not Afraid.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    I'm thinking I did not make myself clear a few months ago. You people WILL participate in the day threads or face certain death.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Isolated Mountain Range in Eastern Nevada
    watching youtube

with all the money Aaron Neville has why hasn't he had that ghastly mole removed from his face?
    I smile because I don't know what the heck is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkalot View Post

with all the money Aaron Neville has why hasn't he had that ghastly mole removed from his face?
    mole? I thought that was an underdeveloped conjoined twin.!:eek: