Thread: Undisciplined The Obama administration undermines classroom order

1. #1 Undisciplined The Obama administration undermines classroom order 
    Great article and worth the read. Just excerpt here.

Undisciplined
    The Obama administration undermines classroom order in pursuit of phantom racism.

http://www.city-journal.org/2012/22_...iscipline.html

.....Aaron Benner, a fifth-grade teacher in St. Paul, Minnesota, scoffs at the notion that minority students are being unfairly targeted for discipline. “Anyone in his right mind knows that these [disciplined] students are extremely disruptive,” he says. Like districts across the county, the St. Paul public school system has been on a mission to lower the black suspension rate, following complaints by local activists and black parents. A highly regarded principal lost his job because his school had “too many” suspensions of black second- and fourth-graders. The school system has sent its staff to $350,000 worth of “cultural-proficiency” training, where they learned to “examine the presence and role of ‘Whiteness.’ ” The district spent another $2 million or so to implement an anti-suspension behavioral-modification program embraced by the Obama administration.

Benner sees the consequences of this anti-discipline push nearly every day in the worsening behavior of students. He overheard a fifth-grade boy tell a girl: “Bitch, I’ll fuck you and suck you.” (“I wanted to throw him against the locker,” Benner recalls.) The boy’s teacher told Benner that she felt powerless to punish the misbehavior. “This will be one of my black men who ends up in prison after raping a woman,” observes Benner. Racist? Many would so characterize the comment. But Benner is black himself—and fed up with the excuses for black misbehavior. He attended one of the district’s cultural-proficiency sessions, where an Asian teacher asked: “How do I help the student who blurts out answers and disrupts the class?” The black facilitator reminded her: “That’s what black culture is”—an answer that echoes the Obama administration’s admonitions to teachers. “I should have said: ‘How many of you shouted out in college?’ ” Benner remarks. “They’re trying to pull one over on us. Black folks are drinking the Kool-Aid; this ‘let-them-clown’ philosophy could have been devised by the KKK.”

Tired of writing up disciplinary referrals that had no further effect, Benner finally did the unthinkable: he spoke out to St. Paul’s board of education last December. “Disruptive students cannot remain in my room and affect those who want to learn,” he pleaded. Even more controversially, he laid the primary responsibility for student misbehavior on parents and community leaders, rather than on racism and cultural insensitivity. The “achievement gap / suspension gap is a black issue. My community must take the lead in correcting our children’s behavior,” he said.

The response was predictable. “People who think like that are like the people who believe that [black people] are . . . less than civil or human,” Victoria Davis, an education advocate with St. Paul’s NAACP chapter, told the local Star Tribune. An e-mailer called Benner a “tie-wearing Uncle Tom.” Benner remains undaunted. The refusal to hold students accountable only guarantees their future failure, he says.

Teachers across the country corroborate Benner’s observations about student behavior. Patrick Welsh, an acclaimed high school English teacher in Alexandria, Virginia, used to try to separate fights between black girls, he told the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights in 2011. “But as I get older, I’m not going to get in between them,” he said. “We’ve had staff members injured separating them. There’s an anger in those girls, where there’s no fathers in the home, . . . that is almost unbelievable.” Louise Seng taught eighth-grade social studies for 34 years in Allentown, Pennsylvania. Her students, who were mostly minorities, “came from families where they observed violence at home, and they therefore thought that it was acceptable to use violence to solve problems,” she told the commission. “It was not terribly unusual . . . for one student to throw a chair at another during the middle of class because the second student made a nasty verbal comment.”....

...Students know that their teachers are hamstrung. Allen Zollman, a middle school remedial teacher in Pennsylvania, told an eighth-grade girl who would not stop talking over him: “You have two choices: either stop talking, or I will have you removed.” Her response: “I’m going to torture you. I’m doing this because I can’t be removed.” When students see no consequences for bad behavior, not only do they continue to misbehave, but the behavior worsens, with more and more students joining in, Zollman told the Commission on Civil Rights. Under such conditions, very little teaching or learning takes place.

Any student actually suspended from school will have received an enormous amount of prior adult attention. “Everything is attempted to support students inside school; it’s all we do,” says Rosenthal. A school removal usually comes only after multiple infractions and a “tremendous amount of process that involves psychologists, social workers, guidance counselors, teachers, deans, and assistant principals. The student will have been repeatedly discussed and known,” Rosenthal says. This intense care is a far cry from the arbitrary process that the critics allege....
    Last edited by Elspeth; 08-13-2013 at 01:32 PM.

Another excerpt:

...This pressure not to punish is everywhere. “Teachers are petrified to discipline students,” says a high school science teacher in Queens, New York, who blogs under the name “Chaz.” Students will tell a teacher to shut up or curse him when asked to open their notebooks, but the teacher’s supervisors will look the other way. The amount of insubordination now tolerated in New York schools is destroying them, says a former head of discipline for the city’s school system. Yet in June of this year, the schools chancellor proposed making official this de facto elimination of suspensions. Teachers would no longer be allowed to remove from class students who disrupted their fellow students’ ability to learn, engaged in obscene behavior, or were insubordinate. Advocates and the city council speaker, who is the leading mayoral candidate, complained that the changes didn’t go far enough.

The training industry is one clear winner in the federal discipline initiative. After the Department of Education informed the Rochester, Minnesota, school district that it was under investigation for disciplinary disparities, the district sent its staff to training sessions on the role of whiteness, the impact of race on student learning, and the need for “courageous conversations about race.” The legal profession is the other clear winner. In March 2012, education advocacy groups met behind closed doors at a New York conference to discuss how to use the newly released federal discipline data in their legal strategies against schools, reported the Huffington Post. Expect a rush of private lawsuits piggybacking on the federal claims.

The losers are the kids. Protecting well-behaved students’ ability to learn is a school’s highest obligation, and it is destroyed when teachers lose the option of removing chronically disruptive students from class. Nor does keeping those unruly students in class do them any favors. School is the last chance to socialize a student who repeatedly curses his teacher, since his parent is obviously failing at the job. Remove serious consequences for bad behavior, and you are sending a child into the world who has learned precisely the opposite of what he needs to know about life.

Federal and state regulations were already crippling schools before the Obama administration’s initiative. “The regulations and mandates are like an avalanche,” says Robert Breidenstein, superintendent of the Salamanca School District in upstate New York. “It’s like being in one of Dante’s layers of hell; if you wanted to structure a more inefficient system, you couldn’t do it.” The discipline push will only burden schools further and waste scarce taxpayer dollars.....

Senior Member Unreconstructed Reb's Avatar
    "Remove serious consequences for bad behavior, and you are sending a child into the world who has learned precisely the opposite of what he needs to know about life."

That may be true but, converserly speaking, he'll become a good FSA soldier and loyal dumocrat!

Celebrate diversity!!!!!!!
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that you won't need it until they try to take it away."---Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Reb View Post
    "Remove serious consequences for bad behavior, and you are sending a child into the world who has learned precisely the opposite of what he needs to know about life."

That may be true but, converserly speaking, he'll become a good FSA soldier and loyal dumocrat!

Celebrate diversity!!!!!!!
    Actually, it may be worse than that. Thomas Sowell gets the trend.

August 13, 2013 12:00 AM
    Not for the Children
    The education lobby has a history of punishing those who actually help minority students.

By Thomas Sowell

...A recent example on the west coast is a charter-school operation in Oakland called the American Indian Model Schools. The high-school part of this operation has been ranked among the best high schools in the nation. Its students’ test scores rank first in its district and fourth in the state of California.

But the California State Board of Education announced plans to shut down this charter school — immediately. Its students would have had to attend inferior public schools this September, except that a challenge in court stopped this sudden shutdown.

Why such a hurry to take drastic action? Because of a claim of financial improprieties against the charter schools’ founder and former head, Ben Chavis.

Ben Chavis has not been found guilty of anything in a court of law. Nor has he even been brought to trial, though that would seem to be the normal thing to do if the charges were serious. More important, the children have not been accused of anything. Nor is there any reason for urgency in immediately depriving them of an excellent education they are not likely to get in their local public schools.

What Ben Chavis and the American Indian Model Schools are really guilty of is creating academic excellence that shows up the public-school system, both by this school’s achievements and by the methods used to create those achievements, which go against the educational dogmas prevailing in the failing public schools.

...Washington’s former public-school head, Michelle Rhee, raised test scores in that city’s school system and was demonized by the education establishment and politicians. She has left.

Years ago, high-school math teacher Jaime Escalante, whose success in teaching Mexican American students was celebrated in the movie Stand and Deliver, was eventually hounded out of Garfield High School in Los Angeles. Yet, while he was there, about one-fourth of all Mexican American students — in the entire country — who passed Advanced Placement Calculus came from that one school.

Marva Collins, who established a very successful private school for black children in Chicago, doing so on a shoestring, was likewise the target of hostility when she was a dedicated teacher in the public schools.

Other examples could be cited of educators who produced outstanding results for minority students — in New York, Houston, and other places — and faced the wrath of the education establishment, which sees schools as places to provide jobs for teachers rather than education for students, and which will not tolerate challenges to its politically correct dogmas.

Thomas Sowell is brilliant. I read everything he writes. If he posts his grocery list, I'm on it. His historical analysis, social and economic writings should be studied and discussed in our schools. Instead, the current trend, with the blessings of the black "Leadership" ignore him and study rap lyrics.

Let me know how that works out for you...

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    And these little scum wonder why the best job they can hope for is a burger flipper???

I wouldn't trust them to do that. Really pathetic, but I'm sure Rev. Al would say I'm RACIST!!!!!

May the FORCE be with you!

Is it just the creation of chaos?

http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/a...%20%282%29.pdf