Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    [SIZE="3"]It seems to me that the 'bubble theory 'has no real evidence to back it up.A theory is just that and the uniqueness of the earth is self evident.
    You can make almost anything totally unique or totally common place depending on what characteristics you measure. In all these earth/sun/solar system/etc is unique/not unique assumptions the conclusions are very much the matter of perspective and can be misleading. In the absence of the information necessary to make an accurate conclusion, people cherry pick the data to support their metaphysical beliefs, generally. We simply can't see the universe in fine enough detail to make any judgments on our uniqueness.

The distance from our primary,the inclination to our primary is just right for life and seasonal changes.
    I don't think seasonal changes are needed for life... if anything they provide an obstacle for much of life.

Water, the source of all life, on earth is in great abundance. Many will argue that mankind has evolved from primordial slime through an infinity of trial and errors to whatever we are today but how can that be ?
    Through reproduction with variation, and natural selection of course.

If that were the case there should be an infinity of dead ends to evolution in nature around us but we have none.
    These do exists... an evolutionary "dead end" so-to-speak would be extinction.
    Last edited by wilbur; 10-01-2008 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    If another life form is ever found on another world - the spiritual house of cards will pathetically fall. The finest money making engine in the history of man kind will implode in upon itself.
    Why would the spiritual house of cards fall? Scripture does not preclude the creation of other intelligent beigns else where in the universe. If God has other beings he shows his infinite wisdom in keeping us all really far apart. Now what would be interesting is if we ever encountered intelligent alien life forms and they turn out to be Christians.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Why would the spiritual house of cards fall? Scripture does not preclude the creation of other intelligent beigns else where in the universe. If God has other beings he shows his infinite wisdom in keeping us all really far apart.
    Well, depends on the Christians that you ask. Many of the literalists take the whole 'uniqueness' of humanity much farther to include the idea that we are the only intelligent beings in all the universe. They will proclaim with absolute, unwavering certainty that we are the only intelligent beings in the universe and anything else is impossible (and basically heretical). It seems to be a pretty common belief among many Christians.

Because the Earth is His garden. If there’s life elsewhere - then there might be something like us elsewhere, and because we’re made in His image - that simply can’t be.
    Why not? I don't see how that would have any bearing at all on either faith or morals; it certainly wouldn't affect matters of salvation or theology. Where do you get this stuff? Benny Hinn? :p

Interpretation of the Bible’s word is dangerous. It falls under that "freedom to chose" category. If the Lord wanted you coming to his back yard, on your own, He wouldn’t have put so much space between your place and His.

We’re it - there is no more, making the sin of turning His garden into a cesspool that much worse. Understand that all we’ll end up doing is dragging our prejudice and ignorance out into the cosmos.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    <snip>
    I don't think seasonal changes are needed for life... if anything they provide an obstacle for much of life.

What is amazing is that the climatic seasonal changes are pretty much within the scope of human tolerance. On the other known planets and moons even the climatic changes between day and night are not within human tolerances. Kind of weird that we are the only known world where this occurs isn't it. Kind of makes Earth a bit unique.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    Well, depends on the Christians that you ask. Many of the literalists take the whole 'uniqueness' of humanity much farther to include the idea that we are the only intelligent beings in all the universe. They will proclaim with absolute, unwavering certainty that we are the only intelligent beings in the universe and anything else is impossible (and basically heretical). It seems to be a pretty common belief among many Christians.
    Unfortunately very little is heretical in Christianity any more. This allows for believes not sanctioned by scripture to infiltrate Church doctrine. However, I would ask another Christian to show me in scripture where God precludes the creation of other beings. There is none.

C. S. Lewis

Initially (when our satellite was much closer) it wasn’t tolerable. The Earth’s crust pulled upward just like the ocean’s tides today. Much friction on the planet’s surface and anything resembling life wasn’t possible. In the end - when the moon moves too far away, the tides will cease and the oceans will stagnate - ending our existence eventually.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Interpretation of the Bible’s word is dangerous. It falls under that "freedom to chose" category. If the Lord wanted you coming to his back yard, on your own, He wouldn’t have put so much space between your place and His.

We’re it - there is no more, making the sin of turning His garden into a cesspool that much worse. Understand that all we’ll end up doing is dragging our prejudice and ignorance out into the cosmos.
    I am in the presence of God Almighty at all times so he is not keeping me out of his backyard so to speak. I'm just not aware of it unless He allows me to feel it. Only in death can I transcend that this reality and experience the greater reality of which we are not physically equipped to know as physical beings without God's direct intervention.

Also we didn't turn his garden into a cesspool. He removed us from his garden before we could corrupt it even more with our sinful nature. Perhaps in the future he'll let us return but in the mean time he has a lot to correct in our behavior.

C. S. Lewis

Banned
    Initially (when our satellite was much closer) it wasn’t tolerable. The Earth’s crust pulled upward just like the ocean’s tides today. Much friction on the planet’s surface and anything resembling life wasn’t possible. In the end - when the moon moves too far away, the tides will cease and the oceans will stagnate - ending our existence eventually.
    For our species sake, let's hope Earth isnt all that unique, and that we can feasibly move our population to other planets when the time comes.

Lets fast forward far far into the future...

When the Earth comes to the point where life (human life specifically, if we are still around) is basically unsupportable, will it be a sign of God's existence if we find similar habitable planets, thereby saving the species? Seems to me that would make more sense, in that God saw fit to pepper the universe with habitable planets for us to thrive.

Or the conditions on Earth could be unique, ensuring that we most likely die with the planet unless we can live on spaceships indefinately.... not sure which idea fits with a loving God the best here ;)
    Last edited by wilbur; 10-01-2008 at 02:13 PM.