Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 A thank you to Democratic Underground, and a plea. 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    An example of a Mole or a really stupid kid...

Sat Aug 17, 2013, 07:54 PM
    TekGryphon (145 posts)

A thank you to Democratic Underground, and a plea.

Last edited Sat Aug 17, 2013, 07:56 PM USA/ET - Edit history (1)
    In 2002 I had just turned 18 and was an economic conservative. I was raised in an economically conservative household, which contributed to much of my beliefs, but a lot of it was my own naivety and ignorance at the time. I remember thinking how smart I was because I gathered my news from a wide variety of sources. What a joke, since most of those sources were conservative. (Well, that won't happen here!!) I remember thinking how "open box" I was because I read Drudge Report. Hahaha.. oh Lord. (And now you read TruthOut, RawStory, and KOS...)

One thing I did like doing was visiting Democratic Underground. Not because I liked you guys, no. I hated you guys. Every time something bad happened to Democrats I remember rushing on here to read and feel smug at the gnashing of teeth. (Heh...)

But somewhere along the line some of the things I was reading here started to sink in. Cracks started forming and grew stronger. (No, that was the pot.)

I think what contributed most to those cracks was the respect for history, facts, and statistics of this community. (AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!) While other conservatives in my social circles conveniently forgot the promises of the Bush Tax Cuts (higher wages, more employment, and lower deficits) I did not, because you guys reminded me. (So now you're happy with increased taxes, lower wages, part time employment, and super high deficits!! Got ya!) While others forgot about Social Security privatization(Which would have been voluntary and limited...) and what it would have meant in the wake of the sub-prime mortgage collapse, you didn't let me forget. While others bought into the media bubble depiction of the Individual Mandate as a liberal idea, you reminded me of its multiple-decade history among the right. Your commitment to facts, statistics, (Remember, TruthIsAll got banned...) and history gave me a clear view of how tax cuts for the wealthy motivated behaviors among business owners and CEO's that were contrary to the economic prosperity and economic mobility of this country.

For all of that and so much more, including being awakened to many social issues, I thank you. (Isn't he soooo cute!!!)

There's a problem, though. While the Democratic Underground of those early years was not perfect, and it certainly had its fair share of posters with more enthusiasm than reason, it focused on and celebrated the factual, history-conscious, and reasonable debates. That is not what I see celebrated today.

Seemingly every day I come on DU now, the Greatest threads are singularly focused on various cliques engaged in passive aggressive bickering. Everyone seems to be either a Paulite, Obama-bot, Pony Chaser, etc, etc. I wish had a kept a list over the last couple of years, because it didn't even remotely start with the NSA issue.

I don't know how we can fix this, but I want to leave you with a thought that deeply disturbs me:

Had this been the Democratic Underground I had found when I was a young conservative. I might still be a conservative today.

That scares the shit out of me, and it should scare the shit out of you, too.
    How long will this one last???
    May the FORCE be with you!

The thread is growing!

nadinbrzezinski (124,938 posts)

5. The community has changed

in scary ways, as you noted, and as to the bickering... well, when you have true liberals (in the classic sense) and true conservatives (again in the classic sense), yes the cliques have formed.

This place is not unlike High School

We have the nerds, who have a respect for stats, charts, history, all that.

We have the jocks, and we have the popular kids, as well as the bullies. And that is just scratching the surface.

And I will be honest, this place is less and less attractive for real discussion. I keep coming for my friends... the rest... that is what ignore is for. And now I have even more of a reason to keep them there.

Oh and I hear ya, you are correct.

17. And you will have even less of those

It's by design I fear.

If ignore did not exist this passive aggressiveness would become open warfare...take my word on this.
    Star Member mimi85 (546 posts)

64. I enjoy the BOG Barack Obama Group

It's where I go, along with The Obama Diary.com. Granted, the sun shines off Bo's ass in that group, but sometimes that's where I need to be. A wonderful group of people and extremely uplifting. Check it out once in awhile. And please stick around. I never was a "conservative" and know in my heart I will never become one, but I do get upset with so much arguing around here over bullshit the last couple of years. Take good care. Mimi aka Jennifer
    The OP talks about arguing and there is plenty of it going on!!!!!!!!

Nads knows!

61. No, they really are not

at least not in GD, perhaps in a few of the protected forums. The reality is that this place is a shell of what it used to be... it has drifted rightward, and it will continue to be less and less attractive to free thinkers. I come here anymore for friends, not debate or even news.

I also come here any more to post Amber Alerts, and shit like that. DU used to be a place that was making a difference... not any longer. It used to be read by Congressional Staffers, that is happening less and less as well, yup, that comes from a congressional staffer

RobertEarl stops in......

RobertEarl (4,109 posts)

76. You are getting there

And you're still young! Good evolution you have mojoing.

So like yeah, man, everything changes, man.

You are reaching a limit on what's new? Heh, been there done that. But when something new does happen, like this old spying story finally getting some press, where is a better place to be than DU?

The economic news? Old.

Politics? Older. And seemingly more corrupt. What can we do about it? Many many stories fly through here, we all go, YUP, and then as Al gore said: Got to clear some space to fit in some more newer outrage. Ya got a solution for those facts?

A bit of advice: Never blame anyone else for your lack of anything. You want something? Make it happen. You want to see DU change? Make it happen. Be the change. You do got your mojo working. Keep it going.

So, what are ya gonna do next?

TekGryphon (171 posts)

107. No one needs to tell me. I can see ugliness just fine.

Your post was disgusting and offensive and riddled with many of the exact types of problems so many are noting. Elitism, xenophobia, sterotyping, broad brushing, and just plain making shit up
    TekGryphon (171 posts)

117. Ahh, I see. You're suffering from the fantasy that my opinion on the NSA...

... is somehow so morally and politically contrary to yours that obviously I must still be watching Hannity and reading Drudge Report.

Despite the fact that I have never voiced an opinion on the NSA, and have chosen to not have an opinion on the NSA until I have a better understanding of the issue.

You are a perfect example of what is wrong with this place. Your post was disgusting, offensive, and completely based in a hate-filled fantasy world of your own creation. I left conservatism to get away from people like you, and I thank you again in the lesson in humility. Being progressive does not mean all the people who share my beliefs are decent folks.

I'm putting you on my ignore list. The first entry on the list, in fact. In that, I'll take the advice of others.

Just doing my part to get the attention of the lurking DUmmies.

Star Member theHandpuppet (12,390 posts)

175. I do think there used to be a greater number of substantive discussions on GD

Unfortunately, there are too many posters on GD these days who obviously couldn't find their way to the Lounge and treat this forum as their personal Facebook page.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    nadin is hilarious in that thread! I'm sure Skinner would love to TS
    her but that would cut into the revenue stream when all her little
    buddies would leave too.
    May the FORCE be with you!

The thread should really be viewed in full on DU, to understand what a festival of stupidity it really is.

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    An example of a Mole or a really stupid kid...

How long will this one last???

The New Online Identity of Converted Jewish Mole....the now Islamic Adam Scooter Yi-pee Gahdan

seen here apologizing to his mommie for stealing her Kitchen Table Cloth!