1. #1 Voting Is Hazardous. Death Risk Shoots Up! 
    Car crash risk rises on election days, study says
    Death risk goes up 18 percent but that's no reason to skip polls, authors say
    Most popular
    •By LINDSEY TANNER

updated 2:01 p.m. MT, Tues., Sept. 30, 2008
    CHICAGO - Could voting for president be hazardous to your health?

An analysis of Election Day traffic deaths dating back to Jimmy Carter's 1976 win suggests yes, but the authors say that's no reason not to go to the polls.

The study found that on average, 24 more people died in car crashes during voting hours on presidential election days than on other October and November Tuesdays. That amounts to an 18 percent increased risk of death. And compared with non-election days, an additional 800 people suffered disabling injuries.

The results were pretty consistent on all eight presidential Election Days that were analyzed, up to George W. Bush's victory over John Kerry in 2004.

"This is one of the most off-the-wall things I've ever read, but the science is good," said Roy Lucke, senior scientist at Northwestern University's Center for Public Safety. He was not involved in the study, which appears in Wednesday's Journal of the American Medical Association.

Rushing to get to polling places before or after work, driving on unfamiliar routes, and being distracted by thinking about the candidates were among possible reasons cited by the study's Canadian researchers.
    And to think that I thought the main risk was just having your head explode. :D

msnbc

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    And to think that I thought the main risk was just having your head explode. :D

msnbc
    The most dangerous to me was always those old woman banging me with their signs threatening me if I didn't vote for their candidates !And the other,some with mechanical counters in their hands, who would just about bend over backwards to see my vote and try to keep a tally !

The big risk for me is avoiding the contact high that comes with the donuts that the hippies hand out 101 feet outside the polling place. :D

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    The big risk for me is avoiding the contact high that comes with the donuts that the hippies hand out 101 feet outside the polling place. :D
    I wouldn't eat a dougnut offered by a hippie ,It may be laced with pot .:D

noonwitch
    My 95 year old grandfather has not missed an election since he turned 21. My grandmother, who died at 91 last year, also never missed an election.

Hopefully, the township clerk where he lives won't send him Grandma's absentee ballot this year, because he will vote it if they do. In that case, at least one dead person will be voting for McCain!