Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1 Oy...I Mean Just Oy 
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    15,860
    No other way to describe it but only to say that the dumbing down of America is in full swing and getting stronger: http://foxnewsinsider.com/2013/08/19...-wrong-answers

    She said, “Even if they said 3x4 was 11, if they were able to explain their reasoning and explain how they came up with their answer, really in words or in oral explanations […] but they just got the final number wrong, we’re really more focusing on the 'how' …”
    I mean, what the holy fuck. Mathematics does not entail maybe. It's as an exact science as you're going to get and these people want to make it into a maybe?
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Same shit every few years. The new math. Whole word method. Anything but to admit that the way they did it at Catholic schools and even public schools (memorizing math tables, learning English roots and grammar, phonics, etc... ) worked for the vast majority of kids and the ones it didn't work for aren't learning the "new" way either.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,920
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    No other way to describe it but only to say that the dumbing down of America is in full swing and getting stronger: http://foxnewsinsider.com/2013/08/19...-wrong-answers



    I mean, what the holy fuck. Mathematics does not entail maybe. It's as an exact science as you're going to get and these people want to make it into a maybe?
    Multiplication tables need to be memorized. Period. There is no problem solving logic to be expounded on. Trying to find out why every one of 25 third-graders got a different answer is only about slowing down learning for everyone.

    At higher levels of math, following the correct logic of solving a problem but making an elementary level mistake in calculation at the end usually ends up in partial credit anyway.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    15,860
    Of course Nova misses the point. This is the pussification of America. It starts by dumbing down the masses. You're going to have more and more people who not only cannot read but do simple math. This is what they want. Turn the masses into brainless flubs and this is the way they're easier to control. This is what people like Nova, Noonie, and Lanie want.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sarasota,FL
    Posts
    42,739
    Hmmm...lets see, how do I calculate how much fuel this
    rocket shuttle needs to get into orbit??? Meh, what does it matter, I'll be close enough.
    May the FORCE be with you!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Moderator txradioguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Bavaria
    Posts
    7,617
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Hmmm...lets see, how do I calculate how much fuel this
    rocket shuttle needs to get into orbit??? Meh, what does it matter, I'll be close enough.
    The term "good enough for Government work" comes to mind.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

    Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

    To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

    The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    15,860
    My question is, what possible explanation can someone come up with that would make 3X4=11 a good point? Like I said, math isn't about opinions. This kid glove approach to education is only hurting, not helping. Do you think a kid who was given FULL CREDIT on this example is going to give them a pass if they get something wrong that costs their company money? Well, that's probably the point. Someone who thinks 3X4=11 isn't going to be working and that's what the left wants.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    No other way to describe it but only to say that the dumbing down of America is in full swing and getting stronger: http://foxnewsinsider.com/2013/08/19...-wrong-answers



    I mean, what the holy fuck. Mathematics does not entail maybe. It's as an exact science as you're going to get and these people want to make it into a maybe?
    They don't want to destroy math, they want to destroy the ability of people to think their way to logical conclusions. People who cannot do basic math cannot grasp the concepts of deficits or a national debt. They don't understand compound interest, inflation, profits and losses or any of the other basics that make up a fundamental knowledge of costs and benefits, i.e., economics. Instead, they react to emotional appeals which are patently false if you just analyze the numbers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Same shit every few years. The new math. Whole word method. Anything but to admit that the way they did it at Catholic schools and even public schools (memorizing math tables, learning English roots and grammar, phonics, etc... ) worked for the vast majority of kids and the ones it didn't work for aren't learning the "new" way either.
    My daughter is going into fourth grade and they are still learning the basics of multiplication. When I was in fifth grade, we began algebra. I was working with her in an approved workbook, and finally threw my hands up and started teaching her to memorize multiplication tables. In an hour, she was counting by ones, twos, threes, fours, fives and sixes. The real problem is that she is incredibly impatient with learning until she sees her first results, at which point she becomes enthusiastic. The schools don't teach disciplined problem-solving.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,920
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    They don't want to destroy math, they want to destroy the ability of people to think their way to logical conclusions. People who cannot do basic math cannot grasp the concepts of deficits or a national debt. They don't understand compound interest, inflation, profits and losses or any of the other basics that make up a fundamental knowledge of costs and benefits, i.e., economics. Instead, they react to emotional appeals which are patently false if you just analyze the numbers.
    It's more than just numeracy. Math is basically all about logical relationships: how abstract notions relate to each other. It's higher level thinking, the ability to look at a concrete situation and pull out an abstract relationship that will apply to similar situations. It's the ability to demystify the world and make it manipulable. That's the real thing they're trying to stop.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Politically tired. Lanie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,245
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Of course Nova misses the point. This is the pussification of America. It starts by dumbing down the masses. You're going to have more and more people who not only cannot read but do simple math. This is what they want. Turn the masses into brainless flubs and this is the way they're easier to control. This is what people like Nova, Noonie, and Lanie want.
    I am upset about not getting the blame for global warming yet. We're responsible for everything else.

    Hey, which side always advocate for more teachers. Which side always advocate to cut teachers with the insistence that we don't need them? Your side.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •