Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Camille Paglia on Weiner, Democrats, Benghazi, and Hillary in 2016 
    http://www.salon.com/2013/08/21/cami...s_best_chance/

Wednesday, Aug 21, 2013 09:45 AM PDT
    Camille Paglia: “It remains baffling how anyone would think that Hillary Clinton is our party’s best chance”

....Two words: Anthony Weiner. Your thoughts?

Two words: pathetic dork. How sickeningly debased our politics have become that this jabbering cartoon weasel could be taken seriously for a second as a candidate for mayor of New York. But beyond that, I have been amazed by the almost total absence of psychological critique in news analyses of the silly Weiner saga. For heaven’s sake, Weiner is no randy stud with a sophisticated sex life that we need to respect. The compulsion to exhibit and boast about one’s penis is embarrassingly infantile — the obvious residue of some squalid family psychodrama in childhood that is now being replayed in public.

I assumed at first that Huma Abedin stayed married to Weiner out of noble concern for her unborn child, who deserved a father. But her subsequent behavior as Weiner’s defender and enabler has made me lose respect for her. The Weiners should be permanently bundled off to the luxe Elba of Oscar de la Renta’s villa in the Dominican Republic. I’m sure that Hillary (Huma’s capo) can arrange that.

Any hopes, fears or predictions for the presidential elections in 2016?

As a registered Democrat, I am praying for a credible presidential candidate to emerge from the younger tier of politicians in their late 40s. A governor with executive experience would be ideal. It’s time to put my baby-boom generation out to pasture! We’ve had our day and managed to muck up a hell of a lot. It remains baffling how anyone would think that Hillary Clinton (born the same year as me) is our party’s best chance. She has more sooty baggage than a 90-car freight train. And what exactly has she ever accomplished — beyond bullishly covering for her philandering husband? She’s certainly busy, busy and ever on the move — with the tunnel-vision workaholism of someone trying to blot out uncomfortable private thoughts.

I for one think it was a very big deal that our ambassador was murdered in Benghazi. In saying “I take responsibility” for it as secretary of state, Hillary should have resigned immediately. The weak response by the Obama administration to that tragedy has given a huge opening to Republicans in the next presidential election. The impression has been amply given that Benghazi was treated as a public relations matter to massage rather than as the major and outrageous attack on the U.S. that it was.

Throughout history, ambassadors have always been symbolic incarnations of the sovereignty of their nations and the dignity of their leaders. It’s even a key motif in “King Lear.” As far as I’m concerned, Hillary disqualified herself for the presidency in that fist-pounding moment at a congressional hearing when she said, “What difference does it make what we knew and when we knew it, Senator?” Democrats have got to shake off the Clinton albatross and find new blood. The escalating instability not just in Egypt but throughout the Mideast is very ominous. There is a clash of cultures brewing in the world that may take a century or more to resolve — and there is no guarantee that the secular West will win.

Interesting find. I still can't understand why Hillary is entitled to the nomination and that "it's her turn." I never could comprehend how she supposedly was billed as the smartest woman in America.

She should have resigned after Benghazi. She and the Obama administration totally bungled it and abandoned our representatives in a foreign country. What has she done as a Senator other than being a carpet bagger?

God protect our country if she's the best that we have to offer. How many Benghazi's would there be under her watch as President?

There's a little hope if even one Democrat sees that she's not the best choice.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Interesting find. I still can't understand why Hillary is entitled to the nomination and that "it's her turn." I never could comprehend how she supposedly was billed as the smartest woman in America.

She should have resigned after Benghazi. She and the Obama administration totally bungled it and abandoned our representatives in a foreign country. What has she done as a Senator other than being a carpet bagger?

God protect our country if she's the best that we have to offer. How many Benghazi's would there be under her watch as President?

I was all about Hillary in 2008. I donated more money to her campaign than I had ever donated up to that point... combined. Somehow I missed that she wasn't promising Single Payer and God Knows I missed her past stated positions on gun control. Even so, how was I supposed to take Sarah Palin seriously? And Romney?

So I agree with Paglia, the Democratic Party has to be able to find someone better than Hillary and God Knows the Republican party has to find someone better than Romney, Santorum, Ryan, Rubio.

Who is going to stand up against illegal immigration? Who is going to stand up for the Second Amendment? Who is going to put in place a universal healthcare system? Who is going to make sure that Wall Street criminals get punished when they commit economic treason?

We need a strongman for two terms to right some of the wrongs. That probably includes installing adult supervision in California and Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    That probably includes installing adult supervision in California and Michigan.
    Here, here!

We need a strongman for two terms to right some of the wrongs. That probably includes installing adult supervision in California and Michigan.
    They need the same supervision in Washington DC.

Hillary simply can't handle any type of pressure and is so full of it she makes her husband look like a good guy!

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Hillary simply can't handle any type of pressure and is so full of it she makes her husband look like a good guy!
    Now that's saying something. You're right.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Well, it did come from the same people who told us that the guy who surrendered his law license rather than face disciplinary proceedings for lying on his application (Effectively, but not technically, becoming disbarred) and who thanks to a political favor got a part-time gig as an adjunct night school instructor was a "Law professor and Constitutional scholar."

I was all about Hillary in 2008. I donated more money to her campaign than I had ever donated up to that point... combined. Somehow I missed that she wasn't promising Single Payer and God Knows I missed her past stated positions on gun control. Even so, how was I supposed to take Sarah Palin seriously? And Romney?

So I agree with Paglia, the Democratic Party has to be able to find someone better than Hillary and God Knows the Republican party has to find someone better than Romney, Santorum, Ryan, Rubio.

Who is going to stand up against illegal immigration? Who is going to stand up for the Second Amendment? Who is going to put in place a universal healthcare system? Who is going to make sure that Wall Street criminals get punished when they commit economic treason?

Agreed. Good post, for the most part.

I firmly believe that those who deliberately seek the highest office in the land are fundamentally brain-damaged to begin with. To want that kind of power enough to wallow in the puke and the mud and the slop through a long and painful campaign is simply nuts.

To whore oneself out pandering to the big money pukes and the special interests (done on both sides of the aisle) is the sum total of our political process.

Disgusting on its face.
    U.S. Army, Retired

Fabulous Poster
    Dow Chemical spent 12 million dollars last year on lobbying in DC.

But the politicians would have us believe that Dow simply supported the candidates with whom it agrees, not that it's buying influence.

Make corporate lobbying (of Congress and any other government officials) 100% transparent. Make it a painful and high criminal offense to hide, disguise, misrepresent, or "make mistakes" when it comes to lobbying and political contributions.

Make politicians publish specific reports of their time, expenses, gifts, and companions both on and "off" the clock.