Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 University’s Popular Mascot Deemed ‘Polarizing’ For Being a White Man 
    Power CUer
    University’s Popular Mascot Deemed ‘Polarizing’ For Being a White Man
    http://nationalreview.com/corner/356...andrew-johnson

Almost the opposite version of the Washington Redskins name controversy has emerged at the University of Denver. The mascot for DU’s sports teams, the Pioneers, used to be “Denver Boone,” a Daniel Boone–esque frontiersman figure, until he was retired in 1998 for not properly representing the student body because of his race and gender; a university committee recently decided they simply won’t replace him.

“Boone was a polarizing figure that did not reflect the growing diversity of the DU community, but rather was an image that many women, persons of color, international students and faculty members found difficult to relate to as defining the pioneering spirit,” the university’s chancellor said in a statement earlier this year.

Despite the chancellor’s concerns, Denver Boone is actually quite popular with the DU community. This year, a 76-member committee made up of students, faculty, and alumni conducted several surveys and forums to find a new mascot, and the cartoonish frontiersman garned the most support from those surveyed. But the committee said it never considered Denver Boone, and ultimately never decided on a mascot. Further, during a poll conducted by the campus newspaper this May, Denver Boone was again the most-preferred mascot — as a write-in choice, not featured as an actual option.

For the time being, DU has no official mascot. The university experimented with a hawk mascot named Ruckus, but discontinued using it in 2007.

Fabulous Poster
    He looks Islamic to me

I worked out there for the Dept. of Interior once. It strikes me that Denver has become a sort of San Francisco of the Rockies. A strange place.

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by marv View Post
    I worked out there for the Dept. of Interior once. It strikes me that Denver has become a sort of San Francisco of the Rockies. A strange place.
    How did that happen? Too many California transplants?

Don't you remember "Rocky Mt HIIIII"?

If you don't grow it and smoke it you're always going to be downwind of it.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    How did that happen? Too many California transplants?
    Gay men went to SF, gay women migrated to Denver. BTW, if you're ever in Denver and see a gal driving a jeep, she's probably a lezbo!

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Gay men went to SF, gay women migrated to Denver. BTW, if you're ever in Denver and see a gal driving a jeep, she's probably a lezbo!
    it's scary how right you are.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Fabulous Poster
    I thought Lesbians drove Subaru. Has the official Lesbian vehicle been changed? BTW, the Lesbians I know drive a Kia Sedona, an ancient vegetable oil Mercedes, a BMW, a Subaru, a Mitsubishi Raider, Camry, F-250 with Arizona plates, a Mini Cooper, a Scion box, and a golfcart.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I thought Lesbians drove Subaru. Has the official Lesbian vehicle been changed? BTW, the Lesbians I know drive a Kia Sedona, an ancient vegetable oil Mercedes, a BMW, a Subaru, a Mitsubishi Raider, Camry, F-250 with Arizona plates, a Mini Cooper, a Scion box, and a golfcart.
    I drive a Kia Sedona, and I love me the women, so maybe your onto something there.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    it's scary how right you are.
    We have a lot of Lesbian refugees from San Francisco here in St Pete. They like the "Key West" style, ie being able to have a lot of kitsch on their houses and lawns, reasonable housing prices, and they can still have their small businesses and co-ops here. Lesbians tend to be very entrepreneurial.