Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 LynneSin shopping for major appliances 
    http://www.democraticunderground.com/1018616523

Can't these people do anything independently?:

Mon May 12, 2014, 03:30 PM

LynneSin (90,856 posts)

I'm buying large appliances for the first time - any tips on shopping?

The dishwasher is dead (and yes I want a damn dishwasher) and the fridge is getting close to dying.

Never bought appliances before and I have about $1500 to spend MAX on the 2.

Anything in particular I should be looking for? I do NOT want any icemaker/water dispenser. Never had them, never needed them and I have a family member having a bitch of a time with their brand new fridge leaking. I'd love to get stainless steel but I see that you have to pay extra for that so thinking of going with black (white just always looks dirty to me even after you clean it).

So if anyone has recommendations of brand names, I am willing to pay just a bit more for something made in the USA.

Help please!

Don't get black.

$1500 for a dishwasher AND a refrigerator?

Good luck with that.

Here's a tip: don't shop around. Walk in and buy whatever catches your eye and don't worry about your budget. Make sure to finance it, paying cash is for suckers. Make sure to find the highest rate for the longest term. Buy two extended warranties, this is a big appliance we're talking about, we don't want to take chances.

Quote Originally Posted by landofconfusion80 View Post
    Here's a tip: don't shop around. Walk in and buy whatever catches your eye and don't worry about your budget. Make sure to finance it, paying cash is for suckers. Make sure to find the highest rate for the longest term. Buy two extended warranties, this is a big appliance we're talking about, we don't want to take chances.
    Don't buy outright, she should go to one of those rent to own stores, and pay the low weekly payments.

Quote Originally Posted by thundley4 View Post
    Don't buy outright, she should go to one of those rent to own stores, and pay the low weekly payments.
    Those payments are voluntary, so just pay what you can when you can.
    Not PTArmigan. Just Anti Anti-gun.

Quote Originally Posted by hoplophobe View Post
    Those payments are voluntary, so just pay what you can when you can.
    don't even bother paying. That company is a big evil corporation and you need it more than they do. Bet they have walls of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    $1500 for a dishwasher AND a refrigerator?

Good luck with that.
    Especially if she hopes the things will last more than 10 or 15 years.

Oh! And she should do lots of research online, so Google's ad selector will display lots of appliance ads for the next 6-12 months. As a bonus, she'll have another major corporation (or bunch of corporations) to rail at.

Whirlpool owns Maytag and Kenmore. Whirpool is an American company, and it's headquarters is in Benton Harbor, MI.

I have an Estate by Whirlpool fridge that I bought over 10 years ago that is still working well. I have a Whirlpool washing machine that is about 8 years old that also is an excellent machine. I have a Kenmore dryer that is probably about 15 years old (came with the house) that I have never had any problems with.

My fridge cost about $450. I went for a slightly more expensive one that was on wheels, as I live alone, so that cleaning under it is easy. My washer cost about the same.

Hire an illegal alien maid to do the dishes and save money on a fridge by going to the grocery store every day for ice.