Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Your plan make Stalin to smile, comrade dainbramaged.

AngryOldDem (8,993 posts)
    72. I've heard the same things said about MSNBC.

So, if someone took exception to that being broadcast anywhere, you'd have no problem with someone doing what the OP did? It works both ways.
    No one wanted to reply to that post... I wonder why?
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    No one wanted to reply to that post... I wonder why?
    I see that post is gone!!!

I think I should do the same with the sports channels at work.

Quote Originally Posted by SPYDER View Post
    I see that post is gone!!!
    Nah, it's still there.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

Something I have noticed, anyone who posts saying this was dumb, gets a response as if they were a troll.

So, not only are you not allowed to view dissenting material, even speaking dissenting speech will get to ostracized.

How do these people not see their own rank hypocrisy?

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    What a good little Fascist you are.

Wanna cookie?

what's next DrainBamage?

Burning all the books that you disagree with too ...?

From what I've read, The DUers want to turn the whole country into a copy of their website; Freedom becomes unknown.
    Last edited by Dan D. Doty; 08-22-2013 at 11:49 AM.
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Something I have noticed, anyone who posts saying this was dumb, gets a response as if they were a troll.

So, not only are you not allowed to view dissenting material, even speaking dissenting speech will get to ostracized.

How do these people not see their own rank hypocrisy?
    They are fascists. They don't want freedom, they want control, and they express it in Orwellian terms. However, there are a few who deserve honorable mentions for not being in lockstep with the rest of the herd:

canonfodder (199 posts) 15. That's sad

Is that all you have to counter the right-wing-nuts?
    Is it right to force your own opinion on others?
    People do not like being forced. Perhaps an honest conversation may have been a better tact.
    IMO, your action was counter to the ideals of DU,
    Do not force, guide.

Reply to this post
    Back to top Alert abuse Link herePermalink

branford (420 posts) 31. And free speech dies a little bit more . . .

I'm most certainly no fan of Fox, and choose not to watch it at home. However, intentionally preventing others from watching it is simply wrong. Fox has a right to broadcast, and people can choose to listen or not as they see fit. We live in a free country, and sometimes we are exposed to ideas or speech that we find abhorrent. That is one of the costs of our freedom.

The OP admitted that the television was not her property and she was not in her home. If she did not want to watch, she should have requested that her company change the channel. That's where her rights ended, and she began to infringe on the rights of others. To silence legal speech simply because you don't like it is most definitely not a liberal value.

If her company chooses to watch Fox, its their loss, but also their decision. The OP does not have the right to determine what her company, boss or other employees watch. Altering passwords or switching remote controls is malicious and juvenile. It's neither funny nor smart, and if you don't know why, you obviously slept through grade school social studies.

If your only response to speech that you don't like is to attempt to silence it, rather than act like an adult and attempt to change hearts and minds, you are either dreadfully misinformed or lack confidence in your purported principles.

Despite the silly rah-rah attitude of my fellow posters, I view the OP's action as little more than childish political tantrum.

I expect such conduct from the ignorant who cannot stand any challenge to their foolishness, including many of the right-wing. I believed my fellow liberals stood by their principles, were better informed, and above such petty nonsense. I sadly appear to be mistaken.
    [branford (420 posts) 49. I understand the schadenfreude, but we should strive to be better than that.

Also, the OP didn't just change the station, she altered the password and hid or stole the remote. She acted no better than the people she claims to despise.
    branford (420 posts) 53. She never claimed that she asked her employer to change the channel.

If she did, her "prank" might not have been "necessary."

I'm not hear to defend Fox, as I think the channel is social refuse. However, substituting your own judgment as to what people are allowed to watch is far more legally and socially offensive that anything spewed by Fox. Sometimes we just have to listen to garbage. We live in a free country; life goes on.

I also noted that she didn't just change the channel, she altered passwords and hid or stole the remote. Unless she promptly remedies her actions, the OP's conduct is no longer a simple prank. I doubt either she or anyone else would find it funny if her employer, quite justifiably, decided to punish her, or even terminate her employment. There is no "I hate Fox" exemption to at will employment.

Niceguy1 (689 posts) 85. forcing one views

On another sounds like something a fox news viewer would do.

Uncool in my book.
    CK_John (5,676 posts) 25. Please don't whine when you lose your job.

Reply to this post
    Omnith (35 posts) 59. I should decide what you watch and listen to.

You're right it is definitely elitism. I don't want "elites" of any stripe deciding what is appropriate for me to view.
    Niceguy1 (689 posts) 92. actually

It is one employee taking it upin herself to decide what her coworkers watch....

Reply to this post
    Lizzie Poppet (2,815 posts) 96. Precisely...and it's a dick move.

Fox "News" sucks in every imaginable way, but the OP doesn't have the right to make that call for others.

Reply to this post
    Niceguy1 (689 posts) 97. it is probably

Just a fantasy like the checkout line confrontation threads

Reply to this post
    Niceguy1 (689 posts) 94. could be insecurity

Or just the need to control others. Personally I don't feel threatened by beliefs that differ from my own.

Reply to this post
    hughee99 (10,540 posts) 148. Sweet. I think society would run so much better if more people "who knew better"

would just start making decisions for those who don't, and not giving them the option to make up their own mind (or even have any discussion about it). This always works out for the best. .

Reply to this post
    Throd (3,686 posts) 151. If some teabagger blocked "Democracy Now", wouldn't that be a dickish maneuver?

Reply to this post
    GalaxyHunter (64 posts) 154. haha awesome, turn that shit!

while I agree with changing the channel, I feel it's kinda childish hiding the remote and buying a new one..(wahhh I don't like the channel so ill hide the remote so no one can turn it back on!)

you wont get in trouble or anything for stealing the original remote and hiding it?

Reply to this post
    GalaxyHunter (64 posts) 198. haha. I could care less if you do. I was just pointing out that I think you acted like a child.

if that's how you are, I don't care because I don't have to deal with it.

I'm glad I work with adults who act like adults, not like children.

BuhBye

Reply to this post
    Each of these has taken a stand against the facist mindset at DU. Expect many of them to be gone before too long.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

The members at Conservative Cave have figured out what dealership he works at!