Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1 UPS to drop 15,000 spouses from insurance, cites Obamacare 
    Sin City Moderator RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    16,419
    United Parcel Service Inc. plans to remove thousands of spouses from its medical plan because they are eligible for coverage elsewhere. The Atlanta-based logistics company points to the Affordable Care Act, or Obamacare, as a big reason for the decision, reports Kaiser Health News.

    The decision comes as many analysts are downplaying the Affordable Care Act's effect on companies such as UPS, noting that the move reflects a long-term trend of shrinking corporate medical benefits, Kaiser Health News reports. But UPS repeatedly cites Obamacare to explain the decision, adding fuel to the debate over whether it erodes traditional employer coverage, Kaiser says.
    Earlier this week, Forever 21 Inc. became the latest national company to cut employee hours to counter the impact of Obamacare, according to Policymic.com.

    Atlanta-based AAA Parking, a parking garage operator that employs more than 1,600 companywide, moved about half of its 500 full-time hourly employees to part-time status on April 15, in response to the law.
    http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/m...s+Chronicle%29


    NBC News contacted around 20 small businesses and other entities for this report and found that employee hours are being cut to 29 hours because of Obamacare, despite the delay of the employer mandate. But the White House, NBC News reports, says that there is no systematic evidence that this is because of Obamacare and dismisses the report as anecdotal.
    http://therightscoop.com/nbc-news-bu...s-no-evidence/

    No evidence!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sarasota,FL
    Posts
    42,807
    La-La-La-La-La!!!!

    The ObamaTrons will protect the Master!!!
    May the FORCE be with you!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Sin City Moderator RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    16,419
    Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    La-La-La-La-La!!!!

    The ObamaTrons will protect the Master!!!
    "What difference does it make?"

    "Phony scandals!"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    12,454
    UPS is dropping the spouses because those spouses are eligible for health care coverage elsewhere.


    I personally think it was above and beyond for UPS to cover spouses that way. Most of the time, the employee has to pay for coverage for spouses and children, even if it's reduced rates.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Sin City Moderator RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    16,419
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    UPS is dropping the spouses because those spouses are eligible for health care coverage elsewhere.


    I personally think it was above and beyond for UPS to cover spouses that way. Most of the time, the employee has to pay for coverage for spouses and children, even if it's reduced rates.
    Of course this does not apply to the union members!

    The kicker is how Obamacare spells it out.....first off health insurance is now mandatory and Obamacare only requires employers to cover the employee and children up to the age of 26, not the spouse.

    The health law requires large employers to cover employees and dependent children, but not spouses or domestic partners, Kaiser adds
    I'm glad Obama considers 25 year olds as children! What a joke.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    CU Royalty JB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    7,918
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    UPS is dropping the spouses because those spouses are eligible for health care coverage elsewhere.


    I personally think it was above and beyond for UPS to cover spouses that way. Most of the time, the employee has to pay for coverage for spouses and children, even if it's reduced rates.
    AKA Barry can do no wrong.

    How tedious this is becoming.
    Be Not Afraid.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Sin City Moderator RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    16,419
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    UPS is dropping the spouses because those spouses are eligible for health care coverage elsewhere.


    I personally think it was above and beyond for UPS to cover spouses that way. Most of the time, the employee has to pay for coverage for spouses and children, even if it's reduced rates.

    Are you sure that premiums were not taken out of paychecks to cover the spouse?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Sin City Moderator RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    16,419
    Starbucks says they will continue to cover spouses.

    http://money.msn.com/now/post--starb...obamacare-cuts
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    9,015
    Now it's IBM

    Citing costs, IBM to move retirees off health plan

    Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/07...#ixzz2eFypDGKF

    International Business Machines Corp. plans to move about 110,000 retirees off its company-sponsored health plan and instead give them a payment to buy coverage on a health-insurance exchange, in a sign that even big, well-capitalized employers aren't likely to keep providing the once-common benefits as medical costs continue to rise.

    The move, which will affect all IBM retirees once they become eligible for Medicare, will relieve the technology company of the responsibility of managing retirement health-care benefits. IBM said the growing cost of care makes its current plan unsustainable without big premium increases.

    IBM's shift is an indication that health-insurance marketplaces, similar to the public exchanges proposed under President Barack Obama's health-care overhaul, will play a bigger role as companies move coverage down the path taken by many pensions, paying employees and retirees a fixed sum to manage their own care....
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Now it's IBM

    Citing costs, IBM to move retirees off health plan

    Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/07...#ixzz2eFypDGKF

    International Business Machines Corp. plans to move about 110,000 retirees off its company-sponsored health plan and instead give them a payment to buy coverage on a health-insurance exchange, in a sign that even big, well-capitalized employers aren't likely to keep providing the once-common benefits as medical costs continue to rise.

    The move, which will affect all IBM retirees once they become eligible for Medicare, will relieve the technology company of the responsibility of managing retirement health-care benefits. IBM said the growing cost of care makes its current plan unsustainable without big premium increases.

    IBM's shift is an indication that health-insurance marketplaces, similar to the public exchanges proposed under President Barack Obama's health-care overhaul, will play a bigger role as companies move coverage down the path taken by many pensions, paying employees and retirees a fixed sum to manage their own care....
    This is unremarkable. The retirement health care plan is usually a supplemental plan to Medicare. My mother is a federal retiree and her primary health insurance if Medicare with a BCBS policy on top for which she pays a portion of the premium. The cost is substantially less than what she was paying for BCBS high option family coverage when she was working.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •