Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by cowbell View Post
    being homeless doesnt make you any less of a citizen, they have every right to be given access to voting.
    Not unless they are citizens - and being born should not be the only requirement for citizenship - and they don't have the right to vote more than once and I'm not sure that they should be voting period. I'm not convinced that universal sufrage was ever a good idea.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

the united states has tried restricting voters to property holders, those laws were called jim crow laws... which you might recall resulted in the maltreatment of millions upon millions of people

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    the united states has tried restricting voters to property holders, those laws were called jim crow laws... which you might recall resulted in the maltreatment of millions upon millions of people
    I agree that restricting votes to property owners is not a good thing. UNLESS the vote is for property taxes, then why should someone who does not have to pay property taxes be able to dictate to someone who IS.

This is a very sticky situation, but there are some REAL concerns when someone who will not be affected by the costs of proposed policies but will benefit, has the ability to over-ride someone who will bear the cost but see little of the benefit.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Constitutionally Speaking View Post
    I agree that restricting votes to property owners is not a good thing. UNLESS the vote is for property taxes, then why should someone who does not have to pay property taxes be able to dictate to someone who IS.
    By that logic, if abortion is ever a decision that goes back to the states and is referred to the poplace, no one without a uterus should be able to dictate to someone who has one.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Those laws actually came from England and seemed to be natural for Americans as a nation of propriety owners .Electors were people who actually paid propriety taxes !

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    By that logic, if abortion is ever a decision that goes back to the states and is referred to the poplace, no one without a uterus should be able to dictate to someone who has one.
    A new Constitutional Amendment.A Young Uterus is required to vote !

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    You are forgetting the little human inside the woman.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.