Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    My only other thought on this is that we do have one regional ally who could be a real player in this, and that is the Kurds. Syrian Kurdistan borders Iraqi Kurdistan (which also borders Iranian Kurdistan), and the Kurds are not only our allies, they are also the most effective native fighting force among Muslims. The Syrian Kurds, like their brethren, are Sunni, but not Arab, and they have been viciously suppressed by the Assad regime. Arming them and allowing them to establish their own safe haven would severely weaken Assad and the Muslim Brotherhood/al Qaeda and help stabilize the region. Any thoughts?
    The Turks might not like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Israel has a few assets which are in open source, but not necessarily widely known, such as their submarine program. Israeli subs have a ballistic missile capability which can target most of Iran and all of Syria, but whose use would almost certainly touch off the powder keg.
    True, as well as the land-based Jericho III missile that can reach well into Russia, which has never been used in war so far...the real problem with ballistic missiles is that without WMD warheads, they are just a safer but more expensive way of delivering a single middlin'-to-large sized bomb with somewhat less precision than an aircraft could, kind of like the Paris Gun, the V2, or Saddam's SCUDs. Scary for the population in the target area and likely to cause a fair amount of random damage and deaths, but actually pretty unlikely to hit anything critical...just nuisance weapons, without that nuke on 'em.

It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    That's an absolute guarantee.
    U.S. Army, Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    The Turks might not like that.
    The current regime is actually making nice with the Kurds. Erdogan favors Kurdish autonomy, because it weakens the Turkish military and justifies further cuts, which gives him more leverage in his Islamization of the country (The Turkish Army has always been a bulwark against Islamism, hence Erdogan's jailing of most of the senior officers).

Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    True, as well as the land-based Jericho III missile that can reach well into Russia, which has never been used in war so far...the real problem with ballistic missiles is that without WMD warheads, they are just a safer but more expensive way of delivering a single middlin'-to-large sized bomb with somewhat less precision than an aircraft could, kind of like the Paris Gun, the V2, or Saddam's SCUDs. Scary for the population in the target area and likely to cause a fair amount of random damage and deaths, but actually pretty unlikely to hit anything critical...just nuisance weapons, without that nuke on 'em.
    Very true, but if Iran is threatening a nuclear strike, the Israeli payloads may not be conventional.

And, a thermobaric warhead, which is still classified as conventional, would probably fit in a Jericho III, and that can do a tremendous amount of damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    Wait a minute, wasn't it Bush who got us into a war in the Middle East to raise prices for his oil buddies? Why is it okay for Obama to do it?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Bottom line, Obama is way out of his league pretending to be a Chess Master on the global stage when there is no evidence he has ever played the game. He has never won a game of checkers in his life and now is moving our naval assets around the globe pretending to know what he is doing... give me a fricken break!

This is a guy that was handing out packs of Newports and bags of weed on Chicago street corners to get people to vote (Democrat) a few years ago that has never in his life run so much as a lemon-aid stand - and now is sending carrier battle groups into harms way???

Impeach the bastard already before a lot of good men get wasted for no good reason!

God help us!

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    I would think by now the Syrian Military would have moved it's assets around.

I'm a little surprised oBAMA's people haven't figured that out. Unless they don't
    care since they never planned on pulling the switch in the first place...
    May the FORCE be with you!

So McCain and his boyfriend are going to the WH to decide what to do about Syria...I didn't realize either one of them were the Senate Majority Leader or the Speaker of the House. He wants them to go convince all those "whacko birds" to get in line and support al Qaeda against Assad.

Meanwhile we have this little gem from 2009:

Didn't Kerry just compare the other guy at that table to Hitler and Saddam?

I think we're about to see the first true bipartisan vote in the house and senate since 9/11...and it's not going to go the way the administration wants it to
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    I think we're about to see the first true bipartisan vote in the house and senate since 9/11...and it's not going to go the way the administration wants it to
    I hope you're right, but I hesitate to invest that much trust in Congress actually doing what the people who sent them to DC actually want.

Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    So McCain and his boyfriend are going to the WH to decide what to do about Syria...I didn't realize either one of them were the Senate Majority Leader or the Speaker of the House. He wants them to go convince all those "whacko birds" to get in line and support al Qaeda against Assad.

Meanwhile we have this little gem from 2009:

Didn't Kerry just compare the other guy at that table to Hitler and Saddam?

What i am concered with is no matter the vote Obama and the MSM will spin it as a win for him.
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly