Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Why are liberals so rude to the right? 
    From the Guardian, of all places.

Why are liberals so rude to the right?

Too many people who lean left would rather crack nasty jokes than actually be liberal and listen to other views
    Monday 27 May 2013 08.30 EDT
    Senator Edward Kennedy apologized to Richard Nixon for putting politics ahead of healthcare reform. Photograph: Reuters

Why is it that liberals feel no qualms about being rude? Far too many people who are perfectly polite and courteous, otherwise, think nothing of insulting you for not sharing their political opinions. They look at us with disdain, thinking we're unenlightened conservatives and never hesitating to say so.

As the lone conservative at the tennis courts, I cringe at the Sarah Palin jokes and the jabs at Mormons. When news came on 9/11 that planes had struck the World Trade Center, my partner commented that Bush would use it as an excuse to increase military spending. Bush, of course, is dumb as are all Republicans, and we're epitomized by Dan Quayle, whose spelling of "potatoe" has entered historical canon. (Never mind Obama's telling us there are 57 states, or having a meltdown without a teleprompter) And now it's Marco Rubio, caught drinking water. "Next time he'll forget to zip his fly," joked one of the guys. Mitt Romney changes his mind more often than he changes his underwear. Reagan had Alzheimer's when he made B movies, and Bonzo had to feed him his lines. And would you believe, from a guy with a pathetic serve, this comment about the Clarence Thomas, justice of the supreme court: send him back to the plantation.

Liberals have no shame. A dinner guest in our home stood up at the table, clinked his wine glass and said, "It shows how stupid the American people are, they voted for Bush twice." He turned to me, smirking, and said, "I know you voted for him." A biochemist who had been too busy learning liberal doctrine instead of the basic manners of being a guest.

We also had dinner with a couple who spent the evening trashing Rudy Giulliani, claiming that the former mayor of New York had nothing to do with turning the city around, even though he took office in a crime-ridden city and stepped down when it was safe. It would have happened anyhow, they said. As we said goodnight in the driveway, one said with a grin, "We like you even if you are Republicans."
    I once called up a friend before a trip down to Florida, and I told him I enjoyed driving and stopping at different places along the way, staying awhile to learn about the country outside of New York. "The red states," he said disdainfully. "Those pickup truck people have a lot of common sense," I said. Click. He had hung up the phone.

It isn't just the liberals I know personally who have no manners. It starts at the top. Dave Letterman welcomed Bill O'Reilly to his show by lashing into him, accusing him of dishing out crap. "Have you ever seen my show?" O'Reilly asked. "I wouldn't stoop so low," Letterman replied graciously, his audience howling.

And the Saturday Night Live cast found it hilarious to mock Greta Van Susteren by twisting their mouths in imitation of her appearance. Now that's liberal humor.

What can you expect, when you have Hillary Clinton regaling her worshippers with jokes like: "Mahatma Ghandi? Isn't he the fellow who runs that gas station in St Louis?"

It's cool to be rude if you're a liberal. But it isn't cool for the country.

Wouldn't it be better for America if liberals really were liberal, and listened to other points of view? Is prayer in public places really so awful? Isn't it possible to have legitimate concerns about the effects of gay marriage? Hasn't Sarah Palin earned some respect for her successful fight against corruption in Alaska? Perhaps the best response to global warming is to adapt to it, rather than spending billions to fight it. Think about it.

President Nixon proposed a healthcare plan that was blocked by Senator Ted Kennedy, and the senator later apologized for putting political interests ahead of the good of the country. He had not wanted Republicans to get credit for accomplishing something positive.

This is a critical time in America. Instead of taking sides we should be working together. Now is the time for liberals to emulate Ted Kennedy and, instead of automatically ridiculing conservatives for digging into questions about Benghazi, the IRS and the seizure of press records, help us find the truth no matter what that might turn out to be.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Excellent article. Let's not forget Letterman wishing A-Rod would rape Palin's then 13 year old daughter.
    Progressivism is a bottomless pit of absurdity.

Seriously?

You might want to look around this site, Odie.

PORCUS STAPHUS ADMIN Rockntractor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    Seriously?

Aremo Dublow is butthurt
    I got nuthin

They are rude to the right for the same reeasons the right is rude to the left.
    Last edited by Generation Why?; 08-27-2013 at 12:38 PM.
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others. Ayn Rand

Power Point Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    Seriously?

Thank you. That's exactly what I was thinking.

I do think some conservatives do try to be more polite, but I think religion plays a role in that for some of them. Love your "enemy," don't hate on them. Either that or they were raised with that set of ideas. But honestly, way too many conservatives are hateful. They use the same reasoning that liberals use, that the other side is destroying the country and therefore shouldn't be treated with any respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Aremo Dublow is butthurt
    Just pointing out hypocrisy. Any forum that has a "Best and Worst of DU" forum or who is hateful to liberals everytime they talk needs to hush up in regards to liberals being mean to them. To be fair, Ody is one of the nicest conservatives I've seen on here. But honestly, a lot of the people are mean and nasty. They would never have room to talk. It's like pot meet kettle. lol.

I forgot how polite the right always is. Like Dick Cheney telling a congressman "F*%k you". Like anti-abortion protesters screaming "murderer" at obgyns and their patients. Like Rush Limbaugh calling Chelsea Clinton the White House dog when she was still a kid.

I know-if you believe abortion is murder, then it's okay to call a doctor who performs them a murderer. It's okay for Dick Cheney to tell a democrat congressman to f off because that congressman is an ahole. Rush was only joking, after all.

Extremes on either side are rude and stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Just pointing out hypocrisy. Any forum that has a "Best and Worst of DU" forum or who is hateful to liberals everytime they talk needs to hush up in regards to liberals being mean to them. To be fair, Ody is one of the nicest conservatives I've seen on here. But honestly, a lot of the people are mean and nasty. They would never have room to talk. It's like pot meet kettle. lol.
    There's a difference in shooting down someone like you who comes in here and pokes the dog with a stick than to make general statements including wishing death on someone. People like Bill Mahr for instance have said some vile things about Sarah Palin and has even sunk so far as to make fun of her son Trig who has downs syndrome. Wanda Sykes said she wanted Rush Limbaugh to get kidney failure. Janeane Garofalo frequently uses the term 'tea baggers'. I can go on but I think the point is made.
    Progressivism is a bottomless pit of absurdity.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    So we're talking about how Liberals treat people on a national scale and you manage to make it all about you...again.

Get over yourself Bridget. And the same for the other three whining Libs in this thread.

If you get butt hurt because someone speaks directly and bluntly to you...thank your fellow Libtards and all of their politically correct speech control. They've rendered you incapable of taking even the slights criticism without screaming "I'm BEING ATTACKED!!!"...especially when someone disagrees with you.

Also if you don't like how you're talked to here...I suggest you take a look at the sign on the door. It says "Conservative Underground".

If you're an ignorant Libtard you shouldn't come in here and then expect people to be nice to you. IF you want to hold hands and sing Kumbayah go over to that secret little site you have where you whine about how myself and others are so mean to you.

Or go to NU...oh wait yeah...that's right.

None of the Libtards here can find any example from the national stage to equate to the hate and vitriol hurled at Republicans by people that many of you LIBS voted for and support.

And I'll also point out the hypocrisy of you Libs using the "oh yeah well you do it too" retort since you want to bust our balls about it as being childish if one of us uses it.