Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30
  1. #1 MLK has got to be rolling in his grave right now. 
    Zoomie djones520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    10,080
    CNN is doing their coverage of the 50 year anniversary of MLK's famous speech. How do they commemorate it? By having Van Jones, Jesse Jackson, and Sheila Jackson Lee, acting as commentators.

    It is absolutely disgusting.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

    In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member Arroyo_Doble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ft Worth
    Posts
    3,788
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    CNN is doing their coverage of the 50 year anniversary of MLK's famous speech. How do they commemorate it? By having Van Jones, Jesse Jackson, and Sheila Jackson Lee, acting as commentators.

    It is absolutely disgusting.
    I can understand Jesse Jackson, hell, he was a part of that movement, but the other two seem arbitrary.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Zoomie djones520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    10,080
    You'd think that on this day, they could have found black people who aren't famous because of racism (granted, Van Jones isn't so much a racist, as he is a communist).
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

    In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member Arroyo_Doble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ft Worth
    Posts
    3,788
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    You'd think that on this day, they could have found black people who aren't famous because of racism (granted, Van Jones isn't so much a racist, as he is a communist).
    You would think they could get Rice or Powell. Outside of the president, those two have reached the highest levels of public office. Maybe Ursula Burns for some private sector perspective.

    I don't know. I wouldn't think it that hard to find someone other than those two.

    I still have no problem with Jesse Jackson. He was there.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Zoomie djones520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    10,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    You would think they could get Rice or Powell. Outside of the president, those two have reached the highest levels of public office. Maybe Ursula Burns for some private sector perspective.

    I don't know. I wouldn't think it that hard to find someone other than those two.

    I still have no problem with Jesse Jackson. He was there.
    And look what he's done since then. You can't ignore the 50 years of working backwards he's caused just because he was there.

    But your right. Ask Condi or Powell to be there. Hell, ask Oprah. Find the people who picked themselves up, made themselves things to be admired. That is how you'd honor MLK.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

    In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,518
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    And look what he's done since then. You can't ignore the 50 years of working backwards he's caused just because he was there.

    But your right. Ask Condi or Powell to be there. Hell, ask Oprah. Find the people who picked themselves up, made themselves things to be admired. That is how you'd honor MLK.
    I think Oprah was there, wasn't she? I saw the major speeches but not the whole thing.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Zoomie djones520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    10,080
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I think Oprah was there, wasn't she? I saw the major speeches but not the whole thing.
    I just read that she was present.

    Apparently the only black US Senator was not invited. Guess what political party he's a part of.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

    In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    10,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    You would think they could get Rice or Powell. Outside of the president, those two have reached the highest levels of public office. Maybe Ursula Burns for some private sector perspective.

    I don't know. I wouldn't think it that hard to find someone other than those two.

    I still have no problem with Jesse Jackson. He was there.
    You're right. Where are Condi Rice and Powell? Even Susan Rice (as much as we don't like her) still has a legitimate position as UN Ambassador.


    Now as far as going for someone who "was there", remember that ex-San Diego Mayor Bob Filner was a freedom rider. If the only qualification for a space at the podium is "having been there", we should have sent old Bob to slime faces and grab asses. But he "was there."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    10,807
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I just read that she was present.

    Apparently the only black US Senator was not invited. Guess what political party he's a part of.
    You're kidding. What is he, less black because he is a Republican? What the hell is that about?

    They invited every loon possible, but forgot a Senator?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    10,807
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •