Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 MLK has got to be rolling in his grave right now. 
    CNN is doing their coverage of the 50 year anniversary of MLK's famous speech. How do they commemorate it? By having Van Jones, Jesse Jackson, and Sheila Jackson Lee, acting as commentators.

It is absolutely disgusting.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    CNN is doing their coverage of the 50 year anniversary of MLK's famous speech. How do they commemorate it? By having Van Jones, Jesse Jackson, and Sheila Jackson Lee, acting as commentators.

It is absolutely disgusting.
    I can understand Jesse Jackson, hell, he was a part of that movement, but the other two seem arbitrary.

You'd think that on this day, they could have found black people who aren't famous because of racism (granted, Van Jones isn't so much a racist, as he is a communist).
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

You'd think that on this day, they could have found black people who aren't famous because of racism (granted, Van Jones isn't so much a racist, as he is a communist).
    You would think they could get Rice or Powell. Outside of the president, those two have reached the highest levels of public office. Maybe Ursula Burns for some private sector perspective.

I don't know. I wouldn't think it that hard to find someone other than those two.

I still have no problem with Jesse Jackson. He was there.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    You would think they could get Rice or Powell. Outside of the president, those two have reached the highest levels of public office. Maybe Ursula Burns for some private sector perspective.

I don't know. I wouldn't think it that hard to find someone other than those two.

And look what he's done since then. You can't ignore the 50 years of working backwards he's caused just because he was there.

But your right. Ask Condi or Powell to be there. Hell, ask Oprah. Find the people who picked themselves up, made themselves things to be admired. That is how you'd honor MLK.

Power CUer
    And look what he's done since then. You can't ignore the 50 years of working backwards he's caused just because he was there.

But your right. Ask Condi or Powell to be there. Hell, ask Oprah. Find the people who picked themselves up, made themselves things to be admired. That is how you'd honor MLK.
    I think Oprah was there, wasn't she? I saw the major speeches but not the whole thing.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I think Oprah was there, wasn't she? I saw the major speeches but not the whole thing.
    I just read that she was present.

Apparently the only black US Senator was not invited. Guess what political party he's a part of.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post

You're right. Where are Condi Rice and Powell? Even Susan Rice (as much as we don't like her) still has a legitimate position as UN Ambassador.

Now as far as going for someone who "was there", remember that ex-San Diego Mayor Bob Filner was a freedom rider. If the only qualification for a space at the podium is "having been there", we should have sent old Bob to slime faces and grab asses. But he "was there."

Power CUer
    I just read that she was present.

Apparently the only black US Senator was not invited. Guess what political party he's a part of.
    You're kidding. What is he, less black because he is a Republican? What the hell is that about?

They invited every loon possible, but forgot a Senator?

Power CUer