Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    You would think they could get Rice or Powell. Outside of the president, those two have reached the highest levels of public office. Maybe Ursula Burns for some private sector perspective.

I don't know. I wouldn't think it that hard to find someone other than those two.

I still have no problem with Jesse Jackson. He was there.
    Not one conservative black person spoke at today's ceremony. Not one.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

I can understand Jesse Jackson, hell, he was a part of that movement, but the other two seem arbitrary.
    He was, but he shamelessly puffed up his history with Dr. King.
    Lies about Dr. King's Assassination

Jesse Jackson Sr. clashed with Martin Luther King Jr. on a number of occasions during the Sixties, and he has often overstated the closeness of his relationship to King—even claiming to have been the last person King spoke to after he had been mortally wounded by an assassin's bullet on April 4, 1968. Specifically, Jackson claimed that he was on the balcony with King immediately after the latter had been shot, and that he had cradled the dying civil-rights leader in his arms as he took his final breaths. But in fact, at the moment King was shot, Jackson was actually in a nearby parking lot talking to a group of musicians. Kenneth Timmerman describes what happened next:

“When the shots rang out, he [Jackson] fled and hid behind the swimming pool area and reappeared 20-30 minutes later when the television cameras arrived on the scene. That’s when Jesse Jackson told other Southern Christian Leadership Conference staffers, ‘Don’t you talk to the press, whatever you do.’ ... Nobody had given him that job. He took that job. Call it ‘entrepreneurial instinct’ if you wish, but on the spot he realized that he had an opportunity to spin the events to create his own persona and create a possibility for him to become a leader in the black movement. He had no prospects at that point.”

The next morning, Jackson flew to Chicago to make a guest appearance on the NBC Today Show. In the few hours that had passed between the King assassination and Jackson’s flight to the Windy City, Jackson had already hired a public-relations agent to accompany him as he was transported from interview to interview in a chauffeur-driven car. Before a national television audience on the Today Show, Jackson donned a shirt that he claimed was smeared with the dying Dr. King’s blood. “He died in my arms,” Jackson lied.

Since then, he's disgraced himself repeatedly.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    You'd think that on this day, they could have found black people who aren't famous because of racism (granted, Van Jones isn't so much a racist, as he is a communist).
    Jones is a racist and a communist (he's two, two, two dirtbags in one). Jones is the author of The Green Collar Economy, where he claimed, among other ludicrous things, that Hurricane Katrina was caused by global warming, white supremacy, free market economics, and the “war for oil” in Iraq. He claimed that this “perfect storm” deprived poor blacks of the protection of adequate levees and personal transportation.

You would think they could get Rice or Powell. Outside of the president, those two have reached the highest levels of public office. Maybe Ursula Burns for some private sector perspective.

I don't know. I wouldn't think it that hard to find someone other than those two.

I still have no problem with Jesse Jackson. He was there.
    Yeah, in the parking lot, cringing.

There are lots of African Americans who haven't spent the last five decades lying about their relationship with Dr. King, shaking down businesses, embezzling money to cover the costs of silencing baby mamas and otherwise disgracing themselves. If the first African American SECSTATE, the first African American female SECSTATE and the only currently seated African American in the United States Senate don't measure up, how about some of these worthies:
    • Justice Clarence Thomas
    • James Howard Meredith (yes, the first African American to attend Ole Miss is still alive, and he's a conservative Republican)
    • Dr. Benjamin Carson, director of pediatric neurosurgery, Johns Hopkins Hospital
    • Roy Innis, Head of the Congress of Racial Equality, and a peer of Dr. King's in the Civil Rights movement.
    • Dr. Thomas Sowell
    • Michael Steele (first African American to chair a major political party)
    • Bill Cosby
    BTW, there's been a great deal of censorship of the original event. People forget that many of the attendees were prominent Republicans, and among the most prominent was Charlton Heston, who was putting his career in real jeopardy.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    You're kidding. What is he, less black because he is a Republican? What the hell is that about?

They invited every loon possible, but forgot a Senator?
    They didn't forget.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Yes. You don't like him. What a shock.

Senior Member Unreconstructed Reb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    CNN is doing their coverage of the 50 year anniversary of MLK's famous speech. How do they commemorate it? By having Van Jones, Jesse Jackson, and Sheila Jackson Lee, acting as commentators.

It is absolutely disgusting.
    I agree that communism is disgusting but it's only natural that communists would be called to commemorate a communist.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that you won't need it until they try to take it away."---Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Unreconstructed Reb View Post
    I agree that communism is disgusting but it's only natural that communists would be called to commemorate a communist.
    Ok that confirms you're a lunatic.

MLK a Communist?

What an effing moron.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Yes. You don't like him. What a shock.
    And you didn't address the reasons for that. What a shock.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    And you didn't address the reasons for that. What a shock.
    I am sure you have many reasons. Me too.

Still, he was part of the Civil Rights Movement of the time. Or are you arguing that he wasn't?

And your reason's are?
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Power CUer

Still, he was part of the Civil Rights Movement of the time. Or are you arguing that he wasn't?
    HE JUST POSTED THOSE REASONS.

He gave you a whole history of Jesse Jackson's lies and opportunism, his abuse of King's legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    HE JUST POSTED THOSE REASONS.

He gave you a whole history of Jesse Jackson's lies and opportunism, his abuse of King's legacy.
    that doesn't matter to Annoyo...he'll just pretend he didn't see them and reply as he did above.