Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Halloween Movie List Week 1 - Hilarious Horror! 
    Hilarious Horror!

It's time to start getting in the mood for Halloween. With that in mind I have pulled together 13 movies that would put a corpse in stitches. Revisit an old favorite, try something new, or add your own suggestions. :D

Creepshow (1982)
    Fun for the entire family! An entertaining anthology of horror loosely based on Stephen King’s work. Be sure to watch for appearances by the King of Horror himself.

Dead Alive (1993)
    By the same director who brought us “The Lord of the Rings”, this over-the-top take on zombification has it all: gore, awkward love, middle class concerns, lawnmowers, Sumatran devil monkeys, and about 2,000 gallons of blood. You’ll be gagging when you aren’t laughing!

Death Becomes Her (1992)
    A stylish send-up of the “beautiful people” and their pathetic lives with stellar performances by Meryl Streep, Goldie Hawn, and Bruce Willis. When you make a deal with the devil, who knew you needed Bondo?

Dracula: Dead and Loving It (1995)
    We have Mel Brooks. We have Leslie Nielsen. We have the script from Coppola’s “Bram Stoker’s Dracula” – sort of. If you liked “Naked Gun”, you’ll love this crazy take on the classic vampire tale.

Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn (1987)
    Simultaneously creepy, disturbing, and laugh out loud funny, everybody loves Bruce Campbell’s wisecracking performance as default hero. Don’t worry about the plot – you’re here for the chainsaw.

Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988)
    What’s not to like? Teen love, whacky friends, grease-painted space aliens and all the acid pies you can shake a stick add up to Korny, Kampy, Kult fun!

Phantom of the Paradise (1974)
    Another take on the deal with the devil, POTP is a glittery glimpse into betrayal and revenge. Witty dialog and amazing music are first class in this production, which is anything but B movie quality.

Re-Animator (1985)
    Based on the Lovecraft story, “Reanimator” is another over-the-top look at ambition, zombies, and partially nude coeds. The extreme cheesiness of the special effects only renders the action of the hapless body parts all the more endearing.

The Return of the Living Dead (1985)
    Possibly the greatest zombie movie ever made. A mishap in a medical supply house sends the cast on a frantic mission to rid the community of the ever-hungry zombie hoards. Punkish teens (with the ever popular non-punk girlfriend) add to the zany action in the most laughable graveyard scene ever. Bonus material for the guys: the oddly seductive Linnea Quigley takes it all off crypt-style.

Scary Movie Franchise 2000 – 2006
    These movies are either loved or hated. If you watch a lot of horror, you will thoroughly enjoy the spoofs of much more serious films, if you haven’t seen all the original movies, don’t worry, SM does have its own plot.

Shaun of the Dead (2004)
    It’s a comedic classic and you already know that. The highly amusing efforts of the inept Brits to deal with the zombie apocalypse sans American-style shotguns and C-4 is a laugh riot. Watch our hero lead his indifferent and unskilled band through the wilds of British suburbia toward safety.

Tremors (1990)
    This entire movie is worth just the Reba McEntire scenes but there is so much more! Giant worms, custom gun rooms, surly townspeople, and a fairly hot college student add up to a rural rethink on the typical monster movie.

Young Frankenstien (1974)
    Another Mel Brooks effort, this movie is a take-off on every Frankenstein movie Universal ever made. Great performances by Gene Wilder, Peter Boyle, Marty Feldman, Madeline Kahn, and Teri Garr. Note that the laboratory equipment is the same equipment used in the original film.

I cannot believe I have actually seen 3 of them! (Tremors, Young Frank and Death Becomes Her). I loved the special effects in "death". And my beloved Teri Garr was in YF.

My Mom saw Young Frankenstein on Broadway this summer but she didn't "get it."

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    I cannot believe I have actually seen 3 of them! (Tremors, Young Frank and Death Becomes Her). I loved the special effects in "death". And my beloved Teri Garr was in YF.

My Mom saw Young Frankenstein on Broadway this summer but she didn't "get it."
    Why not try "Phantom of the Paradise"? Williams' music is great and Faustian story line will keep your interest. :)

ginger, I am afraid of my shadow.

That's why I was surprised i had seen any "scary" movies.

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    ginger, I am afraid of my shadow.

That's why I was surprised i had seen any "scary" movies.
    POTP isn't really very scary. Why not try another Williams movie (and his first):

The Loved One (1965) More at IMDb Pro »
    Newly arrived in Hollywood from England, Dennis Barlow finds he has to arrange his uncle's interment at the highly-organised and very profitable Whispering Glades funeral parlour. His fancy is caught by one of their cosmeticians, Aimee Thanatogenos. But he has three problems - the strict rules of owner Blessed Reverand Glenworthy, the rivalry of embalmer Mr Joyboy, and the shame of now working himself at The Happy Hunting Ground pets' memorial home.
    Not scary at all but a biting satire about the funeral industry. It does involve cemeteries, though, so it still counts for Halloween. :D

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    POTP isn't really very scary. Why not try another Williams movie (and his first):

Not scary at all but a biting satire about the funeral industry. It does involve cemeteries, though, so it still counts for Halloween. :D
    recommend hell house ginger she will like that one !

Can't believe you left this off your list....

1977 (released in 1979):)
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Great list, Ginger...I loved Tremors (would've been on my list, for sure) and Shaun of the Dead was just plain brilliant. I am ashamed to admit--although I have seen Army of Darkness--I have never seen the Evil Dead movies...but perhaps I will rent them this month!
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post

1977 (released in 1979):)
    Really? Phantasm is a classic...but not really funny. Of course, some of them are so bad you can't help but chuckle...
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature