Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fright night! It had a mix of horror fun, especially Roddy McDowell and Evil Ed.. :eek::D

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

An excellent list!!
    I almost hate to admit, but as much as I love horror flicks, and their spoofs, I have not seen all of them.

My own recommendations:
    Transylvania 6-5000
    The Rocky Horror Picture Show (of course, always better in the theatre, and a MUST-see if you go with people that have been to it... oh, say... 400 times!)
    Social Order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain - Marquis de Sade

Dark Scribe and I will be doing themes for each week in October; I'm doing movies and he's doing books. This week was comedy so some that have been mentioned may turn up another week under a different theme.

Alas, I only felt like I could personally handle 13 mini-descriptions so some excellent dark comedies didn't make the main list:

Army of Darkness
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    Hell Hotel
    The Dr. Phibes movies
    Addams Family Values
    Slither
    Idle Hands
    Cast a Deadly Spell
    Witch Hunt

And many more.

Tomorrow Dark Scribe and I will coordinate our themes and give you all a quick peek at upcoming weeks. Get that Netflix account active! You are sure to be reminded of some oldies and introduced to some newbies.

Power CUer
    I've seen many on your list, and my favorites that you mention are "Shaun of the Dead", and of course "Young Frankenstein"; the dance number where Gene Wilder and Peter Boyle do "Puttin' on the Ritz" is priceless.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

It is funny (duh!) because reading some of the other posters wasn't on Ginger's list...but they are GREAT suggestions....Young Frankenstein is indeed one of the best.
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

Good list.
    Another I'd add is 'The Monster Squad.'

I haven't seen any of the added movies. The closest I have come to Rocky Horror is seeing Fame about 50 times.

It's only 3 minutes long, but see the winner from Fangoria's first Blood Drive ameteur short contest. The name of it is Song of the Dead. Complete stupidity. What makes it worse, the fool making the video thinks he is doing a great job. A must see.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    I haven't seen any of the added movies. The closest I have come to Rocky Horror is seeing Fame about 50 times.
    I think you would enjoy "Cast a Deadly Spell" or "Witch Hunt". Both were cable movies starring Fred Ward. The action takes place in the late 40s or early 50s and the premise is that American society is exactly as it really was except that magic really does work and it's integrated into ordinary life. Ward plays a kind of cynical (with a heart of gold) hardboiled detective who helps out the little guy.

The dialog is very Sam Spade and the look is very "Rear Window" in some ways. There is very little violence since the movies are primarily mystery/thrillers. ;)

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    Oh, you should try Rocky Horror! Tim Curry is more gorgeous in fishnets and high heels than Irene Cara could ever DREAM of being.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken