Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 How 'bout a "good sport" story? 
    Four honest college football players are getting more than they bargained for after a shopping trip in Wayne, New Jersey.

On Sunday night, Thomas James, Kell'E Gallimore, Jelani Bruce and Anthony Biondi drove from William Paterson University to Buddy's Small Lots to look for a few items for their dorm rooms. But when they walked inside, no one else was there.

The students thought it was odd that they were the only ones, but they say they had no idea it was supposed to be closed. Bruce told CNN: "At first, we were nervous. We didn't know what to do. We thought people were there. We didn't just want to walk out of the store."

When they paid for their batteries and sunglasses, they even included how much they owed for sales tax. And after leaving the money at a checkout counter, they walked to a Rite-Aid store next door and told an employee what they had done.

Meanwhile, police were being alerted. Marci Lederman of Buddy's Small Lots told CNN affiliate News 12 New Jersey: "We got a phone call from the police department saying that there had been a break-in at the store." Upon arrival, store management said nothing was seen missing. It turns out a security malfunction had unlocked the doors.

Lederman said that since the store is in a basement, some lights are left on after hours. Management took a look at the store's surveillance video, which showed the four college students doing a little shopping and then walking around the store calling out for a store clerk so they could pay. In the video, two of the student athletes can be seen putting cash on the counter.

James, who's seen in the video waving to try to catch an employee's attention, said he didn't think too much about what happened until his brother called him the next day. "He asked me if I was at Buddy's, my heart dropped a little bit," James said. So he asked his brother: "Are we in trouble?"

It turns out that trouble should have been the last thing on the students' minds. The family-owned store chain wanted to thank the students for their honesty. So the four made another visit to Buddy's on Tuesday, this time to meet employees and go on a free shopping spree.

The students got memory foam pillows, since their school beds are uncomfortable; backpacks; Beats speakers for their iPhones; and cologne, among other things. The store's security malfunction has since been fixed.

The four students even earned praise from Jerry Flora, their college football coach, who said they're "what any coach wants on any team, they represented their families well."

Vid at LINK
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Okay one of us racist has to ask.... were those kids Asian!?!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

I guess honesty is so unusual anymore that stores feel the need to reward it.

On the other hand, those guys could have just walked out when they saw no one was there. I can't imagine going to Macy's and just leaving money on the counter. If I had accidentally walked into a closed Macy's whose door was open, and there was no one in there I would have left, called the police and let them know something was up.

I think these store owners were just so relieved at not having been robbed that they didn't stop to ask why these guys didn't alert someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post

I think these store owners were just so relieved at not having been robbed that they didn't stop to ask why these guys didn't alert someone.
    It stated in the story that as they left they went next door to the rite-aid and did tell them the whole story.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    It stated in the story that as they left they went next door to the rite-aid and did tell them the whole story.
    They didn't call the cops? Odd.

It's just strange to me that they left money on the counter with no one there. This isn't some small town general store where everyone knows everyone else and leaving money on the counter is normal behavior.

The whole thing is just odd to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    They didn't call the cops? Odd.

It's just strange to me that they left money on the counter with no one there. This isn't some small town general store where everyone knows everyone else and leaving money on the counter is normal behavior.

The whole thing is just odd to me.
    When we moved to Florida back in 1987, me and my dad were going fishing and we hit a bait house in Apollo beach. No one was there but there were bags of frozen shrimp at $1.00 a bag on the honor system! Me and dad looked at each other and said they would last one day in New York!!! We Paid but were still amazed.

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    When we moved to Florida back in 1987, me and my dad were going fishing and we hit a bait house in Apollo beach. No one was there but there were bags of frozen shrimp at $1.00 a bag on the honor system! Me and dad looked at each other and said they would last one day in New York!!! We Paid but were still amazed.
    I love towns like that!

It turns out that trouble should have been the last thing on the students' minds. The family-owned store chain wanted to thank the students for their honesty. So the four made another visit to Buddy's on Tuesday, this time to meet employees and go on a free shopping spree.
    I hope this isn't an NCAA violation.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    I hope this isn't an NCAA violation.
    No, but it will get them in trouble when they get to the pros.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    No, but it will get them in trouble when they get to the pros.
    They may get suspended for a half..

Seriously though, can you imagine the shit storm that would happen if the NCAA came down on these kids for receiving things for doing the RIGHT thing??
    Yes..this camera is heavy.
    No...you can't be on TV.
    Look kid, go bother the reporter...I'm busy!!!