Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    I feel your pain. At the ripe age of 55 I had to take an entry position being a trainee payroll assistant. 2 years later I am now a payroll manager for one company with 120 employees and am a trainee in a Canadian company with 260 employees. I put in the time, do more than I am supposed to and took side courses in excel on the side. Not bad for being a cabinet maker for 35 years!
    You are an inspiration. Seriously.

I feel your pain. At the ripe age of 55 I had to take an entry position being a trainee payroll assistant. 2 years later I am now a payroll manager for one company with 120 employees and am a trainee in a Canadian company with 260 employees. I put in the time, do more than I am supposed to and took side courses in excel on the side. Not bad for being a cabinet maker for 35 years!
    Now you have two skills, Pat. But only one will survive into retirement...........cabinet maker.

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Quote Originally Posted by marv View Post
    Now you have two skills, Pat. But only one will survive into retirement...........cabinet maker.
    To continue this non sequitur I agree Marv.

We have twice hired a retired "cabinet maker." Once to make kitchen cabinet doors, and just recently to completely redo a walk-in closet ...

Both of whom, did a remarkable job. Was not inexpensive by any means, but worth every penny. There is indeed very good money to be made as a skilled cabinet maker.
    American By Choice ~ 1980

You guys missed the point. Due to health problems, I applied for disability. Won the case but my wife makes above their threshhold, It would have been supplimental disability due to my last 10 yrs. of work history of being self employed.

I had to make a career change. Ha, I couldn't lift a 4x8 of plywood or hold a router or sander if I tried! Thank God for home computer work!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Lacking that information Pat, I do have to add that there are useful skills that do carry over into retirement such as carpentry, auto repair, plumbing, electrical, and all the other occupations some folks usually look down on as "blue collar".

Mine was installing and maintaining large IBM systems hardware and software. Not much call for those skills here in SW Missouri! It provided an impressive resume while I was employed, but now it only garners an occasional, "Uh, what's that?"

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    You guys missed the point. Due to health problems, I applied for disability. Won the case but my wife makes above their threshhold, It would have been supplimental disability due to my last 10 yrs. of work history of being self employed.

I had to make a career change. Ha, I couldn't lift a 4x8 of plywood or hold a router or sander if I tried! Thank God for home computer work!

Good on you Patriot!!!
    May the FORCE be with you!

I make like $36 an hour. I'm pretty content with that.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    OK some one has to ask. $36.00 pr hr is big bucks. that's almost 80.000.00 a year. are you that qualified for that high of pay? Is that the kind of pay the gov gives ? I mean you don't have to be smart or anything. Why do you deserve that high pay?

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    No you aren't; you bitched for a week about having to pay a share of your insurance premium that is typical of most employer plans.

Sorry to hear about the health problems, that sucks.

Glad you are making the best of it and able to continue to make an income!

Lifting all those heavy racks of ribs and using that kitchen knife might of been the real culprit.