Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    I never did. I paid zero.
    Good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Good for you.
    Small and large companies for me.

When my late father retired in 2000 he never had to pay one health premium during his entire career.

That's what Workers Comp is for. It has nothing to do with your benefits.
    Yes it does.

I know many employees, especially in healthcare, that end up having to use their personal health policies. I won't get into the specifics here. It happens.

It's a career at better restaurants and union houses in the US. When I worked at Joe's (a union restaurant) in SF, there were waiters there who had supported families, bought a house, put a kid through college on their income. We made very good money, had good pay and benefits, and the prices were the same as nonunion restaurants. The owner lived in a very nice house in an exclusive neighborhood so he wasn't hurting on the deal either.
    I know servers of both sexes, not just waiters, that work really hard and are rewarded with very nice gratuities. They do really well. Most of them are non union as union membership is on the decline, especially in newly constructed restaurants.

It's hard to compare a tipped wait staff to quick serve restaurant workers.

In Nevada servers have an advantage, they have the same minimum wage as non tipped workers.

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Only about 5% of fast food workers make minimum wage. (http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/25730...-minimum-wage/) Most make above that.

The strike had nothing to do with minimum wage, but everything to do with unions needing members.

The food industry workers were silly enough to fall for it. They will unionize, get a very small raise, and start paying union dues. Prices will go up, business will go down, jobs will be lost.

Most restaurants are not owned by the name on the sign, they are franchises. Mom and pop operations owned by people in the same community as the employees. The owners usually go a few years without even drawing a paycheck and if they do it's a very small one compared to the hours they put in. They have very slim profit margins.
    It's not the workers doing the striking. The unions have come up with an insidious way of getting around the fact that most workers don't want to be in unions or strike for them. They've set up job centers, which don't have to register as union entities because they don't engage in collective bargaining, but they can and do engage in everything else that a union does, including disruptions of job sites. The mass protests this last week were union thugs pretending to be fast food workers, setting up picket lines and intimidating workers who could not get to their jobs without running the gauntlet.

So they work in restaurants because they are stupid. They try to organize because they are stupid. Well gee, Rob, what do they have to do to be as smart as you and NJ? Get a government job?
    No, they work in restaurants because the jobs are available. They don't try to organize, but simply can't get past the picket lines without being assaulted, and are then told, via the media, that they walked off the job in support of the union. Typical thug tactics, combined with disinformation.

It's a career at better restaurants and union houses in the US. When I worked at Joe's (a union restaurant) in SF, there were waiters there who had supported families, bought a house, put a kid through college on their income. We made very good money, had good pay and benefits, and the prices were the same as nonunion restaurants. The owner lived in a very nice house in an exclusive neighborhood so he wasn't hurting on the deal either.
    And now, San Francisco has a higher cost of living than anywhere else in the state, and the kids who went to college on restaurant tips are now unable to afforce to live there.

When I started to organize a chain restaurant, the objection which surprised me was this one. Some of my co-workers said that they didn't want to be unionized because "If we're union then we can't be late, or leave early, and the rules are strict." Seriously, their complaint was that if we went union then they would have to be good employees (and earn the additional pay and benefits). That's sad. I've never understood people who would rather make less than do a good job.
    They weren't objecting to being good employees, they were objecting to one-size-fits-all union regimentation. They were probably quite happy to do a good job, but realized that unionization would reduce flexibility and impose all manner of idiotic rules, not to mention costing them an arm and a leg (or, more likely, getting the arm and leg broken if they tried to work when the union was picketing). People have the right not to work for thugs who are trying to impose a protection racket on them.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

To anyone even remotely familiar with how workers' comp cases are handled, that has to be one of the dumbest things you have ever posted.

Once again you're 150% clueless. When I started, there was a program in place where if we got injured on the job I was paid my full salary and I didn't miss a benefit payment(pension, union dues, dental, additional disability and medical coverage(AFLAC), etc) and our status isn't affected. Christie came in and did away with that so now getting beat down or shanked is treated the same as a secretary falling out of her chair. Thanks to this, if I got hurt at work, I have to come in every 2 weeks to make my medical and other payments or I'll be cut off meaning I won't have any health insurance. And my status is affected. With every day I'm out on WC, it adds 1 more day I have to work toward retirement. Oh, and WC doesn't cover any lasting affects. But you're an idiot so this is falling on deaf ears.
    Last edited by NJCardFan; 09-03-2013 at 04:13 PM.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.