Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Would you return a backpack full of cash? This guy did 
    http://www.hlntv.com/article/2013/09...urns?hpt=hp_t3

It could be the ultimate social experiment: What would you do if you found a backpack full of cash?

We all want to believe we would be good people and return it.

Now, if you were homeless, would your answer be the same?

This weekend, Boston man Glen James happened upon a backpack in the South Bay Mall. The backpack didn't just have a few dollars in it, it had $2,400 in cash, $36,500 in travelers checks, a Chinese passport, and other personal papers.

James, who is homeless, flagged down local police, who then alerted mall security. An employee of the Best Buy in the mall stepped forward and said that a customer in the store had lost his backpack. Sure enough, the customer was taken to the police station where his identity was verified.

It could have been a disaster for the man, but it ended instead as a heartwarming story of honesty.

For days, local media and police tried to track down James. At the time of the incident, he didn't even tell police his name, just the name of the shelter where he sometimes stays. Now that his identity is known, the Boston Police Department will issue a special citation for James' good deed.

Shoppers were shocked by the story when interviewed by HLN affiliate WHDH.

"You don't see or hear about people doing that nowadays," one said

Yes I probably would, it would be either that or slowly beat myself to death feeling guilty because it wasn't mine. Money isn't worth your peace of mind.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

I would return it without thinking twice and not expecting a reward.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

I would return it.........But a little lighter!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

I would if I could figure out who had lost it...or if not, hold onto it until there was a news story about the guy or gal who lost it. I don't really have unbounded confidence in the honesty of police departments when it comes to stuff like this. Assuming, of course, that it didn't also have a key of coke, a brick of dope, and/or a silenced pistol inside it with the money, in which case I'd keep the cash and lose the contraband as well as the empty pack.

I turned in a wallet full of cash once. Didn't really regret it. Probably would do the same with a bag full of cash. Though in todays environment, if I saw a backpack just laying around, I'd probably not just open it...
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Depends on how much cash :D If I am going to feel guilty I might as well make sure its worth it ;)
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Though in todays environment, if I saw a backpack just laying around, I'd probably not just open it...
    I was thinking the same thing. You'd have to give a second thought to approach an unattended backpack in a setting such as a mall these days...let alone open it. Ain't that some shit.

It's no win anyway. If there's money in it, I'm not keeping it. If it's a bomb, I just got blown up for no reason.
    Be Not Afraid.

I look at it this way if some dummy had a backpack full of money and just lost it (if it was me I'd staple it to myself) does he/she really deserve to keep it?
    We're from Philadelphia, We Fight- Chip Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Yes I probably would, it would be either that or slowly beat myself to death feeling guilty because it wasn't mine. Money isn't worth your peace of mind.
    True.